MERCIER? cheap but good?

brown.be

Jul 30, 2004
Is Mercier a good manufacturer. I found some nice bikes from them but does anyone know about them or Tommaso, please help thanks

brown.be said:
Is Mercier a good manufacturer. I found some nice bikes from them but does anyone know about them or Tommaso, please help thanks

Bolo Grubb has a Mercier.....PM him and see how he likes it.

WKrider said:
Bolo Grubb has a Mercier.....PM him and see how he likes it.

http://www.cyclesmercier.com/models_al2.html
I have a Aquila AL Aluminum frame, Kinesis Comp Carbon Fork, carbon seatpost.

I love it. I have had it since February of this year and it has been a very good bike for me. I did change the pedal on it as I did not like the ones it came with but other then that, it has been great

Bolo Grubb said:
http://www.cyclesmercier.com/models_al2.html
I have a Aquila AL Aluminum frame, Kinesis Comp Carbon Fork, carbon seatpost.

I love it. I have had it since February of this year and it has been a very good bike for me. I did change the pedal on it as I did not like the ones it came with but other then that, it has been great
Did you but it online, how much did it cost. Was it hard to assemble?

I have a Mercier Orion. I like it ok. I did upgrade the components to ultegra because the soras are not very responsive. It is a little wobbly and loose in turns and I am thinking of upgrading to a better frame but for the price they are fine.

dalronathos said:
I have a Mercier Orion. I like it ok. I did upgrade the components to ultegra because the soras are not very responsive. It is a little wobbly and loose in turns and I am thinking of upgrading to a better frame but for the price they are fine.
That whole exercise was a total waste wasn't it? you would have been money ahead to have started with a better bike. That endorsement does not sound too 'fine' to me.

brown.be said:
The only + is they are cheap.Generic frames with alot of guestionable generic parts.

Generic??? the Mercier Serpens comes with a Reynolds 853 steel frame, Reynolds Ouzo carbon fork, Ritchey stem post and bar, Ritchey Pro Wheels, and full ultegra. all this for $1195.

JCX said:
Generic??? the Mercier Serpens comes with a Reynolds 853 steel frame, Reynolds Ouzo carbon fork, Ritchey stem post and bar, Ritchey Pro Wheels, and full ultegra. all this for $1195.
853 is just a tubeset. Bubba can stick a frame togerher with it in his Buttcrack Ar. garage. Yeah, some of them do have better spec than others. You couldn't give me a pair of ritchey pro wheels, but they look chi-chi-.

boudreaux said:
853 is just a tubeset. Bubba can stick a frame togerher with it in his Buttcrack Ar. garage. Yeah, some of them do have better spec than others. You couldn't give me a pair of ritchey pro wheels, but they look chi-chi-.
by the way boudreaux, what is your ride and what is it specced out with?

ALAN OBRIEN said:
by the way boudreaux, what is your ride and what is it specced out with?
A Huffy,premium Manchruian Hi-ten steel, with 5 speed Campy friction, chrome plated steel wheels and a 14x36 freewheel.

boudreaux said:
I know I'm a newbie, BUT from what I have read boudreaux rarely says anything nice to people. He has no problem beating them down and he might have a lot of knowledge but it seems his attitude could use a tune up.:rolleyes:

Full Ultegra is a bit of a stretch. I bought Full Ultegra for my Mercier, that includes brakes, which the Serpens likely has Tektro. That includes freewheel which the Mercier likely has an offbrand that will work with Shimano but is not made by Shimano. That includes Crank which the Mercier likely hasa a generic crank. Full Ultegra to EBAY BIKES means derailleurs and nothing else. Maybe Shifters but maybe not. I like my Mercier. It has its Problems just like all entry level bikes do. But I paid Something Like 400 for it and Then have turned around and added another 400 or so and have a bike with every moving part being ultegra. The Wheels I have not upgraded yet. Bottom line decide how much you want to spend on a bike and then buy the best bike for that money. As has been mentioned previously most bike are now made in Asia so do not let that be a factor in your decision. If we lived without Asian made products we would all be walking around with no shoes on because there would be no bikes or cars to ride.
JCX said:

Compare the specs of the Trek 100 to that of the Mercier Orion. They are comparable bikes in a lot of ways and you can definately get a Mercier for a good bit cheaper and still have money to upgrade the parts.
boudreaux said:
That whole exercise was a total waste wasn't it? you would have been money ahead to have started with a better bike. That endorsement does not sound too 'fine' to me.

dalronathos said:
But I paid Something Like 400 for it and Then have turned around and added another 400 or so and have a bike with every moving part being ultegra. The Wheels I have not upgraded yet. Bottom line decide how much you want to spend on a bike and then buy the best bike for that money.
YEP,Yep, and Yep!
Cheaper to buy better to begin with. A low end frame is still a low end frame even after you have upgraded all the parts.

Lets get one thing straight. I am actually thinking about getting a new bike because I do not think the Mercier meets all of my needs. But damn if I was not looking at treks when right there on a picture is a trek bike with a Big made in Taiwan sticker right on front. I do not know how much most people know about manufacturing practices, but often times several bikes have the exact same frame made in the exact same warehouse. Also these warehouses will make numerous different frames for different companies. 1 Warehouse might make 10 different Bike manufacturers frames and they may all have different specs. The problem with most bike people is the same as with anyone else, they think that the name makes the quality. The name makes the expense. I know this through golf, Dentistry, cycling and most other things in life. Rolexes are 15,000 Swiss Army Watches are 500. Is there a difference in yes, but they are both very accurate timepieces made in Switzerland, probably made by brothers or first cousins or best friends. It is the same in Taiwan. The global economy is that things are not made in the United States. Made in the USA usually means assembled in the USA using Asian parts. I ride because I love to ride. I bought a Mercier because I was not sure I was going to enjoy riding again after taking nearly a decode off. I am now ready to buy a nicer bike. Mercier are decent bikes, they shift well when the derailleurs are aligned, they brake well when the cables are tight. They are not going to win you a Tour, but if it is a Mercier or getting fat, choose the Mercier every time.
boudreaux said:
YEP,Yep, and Yep!
Cheaper to buy better to begin with. A low end frame is still a low end frame even after you have upgraded all the parts.

dalronathos said:
Lets get one thing straight. I am actually thinking about getting a new bike because I do not think the Mercier meets all of my needs. But damn if I was not looking at treks when right there on a picture is a trek bike with a Big made in Taiwan sticker right on front. I do not know how much most people know about manufacturing practices, but often times several bikes have the exact same frame made in the exact same warehouse. Also these warehouses will make numerous different frames for different companies. 1 Warehouse might make 10 different Bike manufacturers frames and they may all have different specs. The problem with most bike people is the same as with anyone else, they think that the name makes the quality. The name makes the expense. I know this through golf, Dentistry, cycling and most other things in life. Rolexes are 15,000 Swiss Army Watches are 500. Is there a difference in yes, but they are both very accurate timepieces made in Switzerland, probably made by brothers or first cousins or best friends. It is the same in Taiwan. The global economy is that things are not made in the United States. Made in the USA usually means assembled in the USA using Asian parts. I ride because I love to ride. I bought a Mercier because I was not sure I was going to enjoy riding again after taking nearly a decode off. I am now ready to buy a nicer bike. Mercier are decent bikes, they shift well when the derailleurs are aligned, they brake well when the cables are tight. They are not going to win you a Tour, but if it is a Mercier or getting fat, choose the Mercier every time.
Nice rant.....But I'm no fan of low end Treks either. The better ones are made in the USA. FWIW, even a Huffy is better than no bike.They also shift ok when everything is right,as does about anything.