Merckx + United Airlines = Need for Insurance

AussieRob

Mar 7, 2005
I need to insure my Merckx when I fly home from NY to Australia. Can anyone tell me where I can get USD $5,000-6,000 coverage? I don't want coverage when I am in Aust. I just want coverage so that the TSA and United don't trash my bike.

This seems to be a recurring problem so thanks in advance.

BTW, my credit card and renters ins. don't cover the full value of the bike. Any other travel tips would be appreciated.

Rob

AussieRob said:
I need to insure my Merckx when I fly home from NY to Australia. Can anyone tell me where I can get USD $5,000-6,000 coverage? I don't want coverage when I am in Aust. I just want coverage so that the TSA and United don't trash my bike.

BTW, my credit card and renters ins. don't cover the full value of the bike. Any other travel tips would be appreciated.

Rob

I advise to pack it well and ship it separately. Even if you do find insurance against TSA there'll likely be a big deductible and cost more than shipping it.

DiabloScott said:
I advise to pack it well and ship it separately. Even if you do find insurance against TSA there'll likely be a big deductible and cost more than shipping it.
I could, but shipping something that big by Air to Australia costs $1,000+. Shipping by sea takes 4+ weeks. Given how close we are to racing season I can't be without my bike for 4 weeks.

Thanks

Ive packed bikes in travel cases for customers when I used to work at a bike shop. The bikes arrive fine, but TSA will go through it no matter what. I had one guy tell me they took his headset out and lost his pedals. Another with bent parts since its hard to get the case to close properly. Talk to the airline and see what you can do to avoid getting it opened up.

I'm hoping someone else might know of a insurance as I plan on taking my bike to Australia later this year.

AussieRob said:
I could, but shipping something that big by Air to Australia costs $1,000+. Shipping by sea takes 4+ weeks. Given how close we are to racing season I can't be without my bike for 4 weeks.

Thanks

ugh!! do you have to fly United? They're hovering around Bankruptcy and after my Wife's escapade this week on her Flight from London-LA I can see why (We always fly Virgin normally)....
She had a brand new Hard-Case Suitcase, it arrived in LA completelt crushed, so we went to Baggage claim and waited behind a line of 20+ People all freaking out about their lost Luggage...

Anyway, we're going to Hawaaii soon and I've also been looking for Bike Insurance because we're taking the Bikes, which reminds me, I need to ask here on BF's the best place to go Cycling over there...
But anyway, there seem to be loads of places in the UK willing to insure your ride, nothing in the US, I haven't looked into Oz I'm afraid...

Have you actually quoted shipping via fed-ex or UPS? You can also contact shippers over there who will be willing to share an Air Container??

There's no way to cicumnavigate the TSA, a friend of mine ships equipment for Bands and performers like Paul McCartney etc, She did all the Paperwork to try and get around TSA and it was immediately shot down...so if Paul can't do it....

Shipping a Bike is a bit nerve racking I know....keep in touch and let us know what happens!!

Good Luck!!

AussieRob said:

Rob