Minoura Workstand

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pag, Jun 20, 2003.

  1. Pag

    Pag Guest

    Has anyone else had problems with the clamp on a Minoura W300 workstand? I can't get the jaws close
    enough together to effectively clamp my steel bike. The clamp would probably work OK with a fatter
    alloy tube. Looks like a big design flaw, I'm thinking I should send it back.

    Can anyone recommend a workstand that works well with steel-tubed bikes?

    -- pag

    Tags:

  2. Sam Salt

    Sam Salt Guest

    I've got the same stand and it fits my Galaxy OK,can't think whats going wrong.Unless they have
    changed the clamp,mines a year or two old.

    Sam Salt

    pag wrote:
    > Has anyone else had problems with the clamp on a Minoura W300 workstand? I can't get the jaws
    > close enough together to effectively clamp my steel bike. The clamp would probably work OK with a
    > fatter alloy tube. Looks like a big design flaw, I'm thinking I should send it back.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a workstand that works well with steel-tubed bikes?
    >
    > -- pag

    ---

  3. John'S Cat

    John'S Cat Guest

    On 20 Jun 2003 16:32:39 -0700, [email protected] (pag) wrote:

    >Has anyone else had problems with the clamp on a Minoura W300 workstand? I can't get the jaws close
    >enough together to effectively clamp my steel bike. The clamp would probably work OK with a fatter
    >alloy tube. Looks like a big design flaw, I'm thinking I should send it back.
    >
    >Can anyone recommend a workstand that works well with steel-tubed bikes?

    I understand that it's good practice to clamp the seat tube rather than the frame - saves the
    paint job.

    Not that this helps you.

  4. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Sam Salt
    <[email protected]> writes
    >I've got the same stand and it fits my Galaxy OK,can't think whats going wrong.Unless they have
    >changed the clamp,mines a year or two old.
    >
    >pag wrote:
    >> Has anyone else had problems with the clamp on a Minoura W300 workstand? I can't get the jaws
    >> close enough together to effectively clamp my steel bike. The clamp would probably work OK with a
    >> fatter alloy tube. Looks like a big design flaw, I'm thinking I should send it back.
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend a workstand that works well with steel-tubed bikes?

    Well I'd recommend the W300... :)

    Mine also works fine with my normal sized steel tube old 'Dalesman ' frame, it is about 18 months or
    so old I I think. They may have changed the design, but I've had a quick look on the website and the
    clamp seems to be basically the same as I have on mine, - you flip down the lever, screw in/out the
    lever the to adjust the size and the flip it up to clamp the tube.

    Anyway, who would design a clamp that couldn't take the full range of tube sizes?

    ISTM either there is some fault with yours or you are using it properly
    - not that I can imagine how the latter is possible.

    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  5. On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:32:39 -0700, pag did issue forth:

    > Has anyone else had problems with the clamp on a Minoura W300 workstand? I can't get the jaws
    > close enough together to effectively clamp my steel bike. The clamp would probably work OK with a
    > fatter alloy tube. Looks like a big design flaw, I'm thinking I should send it back.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a workstand that works well with steel-tubed bikes?
    >
    > -- pag

    Mine's OK, and I always clamp by the seatpost, so that's a lot thinner than any of the tubes on your
    bike (unless you're clamping by the seatstay or chainstay!)

    You are closing the jaws with the lever, not by turning the knob, aren't you?

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    > I understand that it's good practice to clamp the seat tube rather than the frame - saves the
    > paint job.

    Clamping the seatpost saves squashing the tube!

    ~PB

  7. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "pag" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone else had problems with the clamp on a Minoura W300 workstand? I can't get the jaws
    > close enough together to effectively clamp my steel bike. The clamp would probably work OK with a
    > fatter alloy tube. Looks like a big design flaw, I'm thinking I should send it back.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a workstand that works well with steel-tubed bikes?

    Just been and checked mine by gripping the seat post of a steel tubed bike. No problem and the jaws
    are nowhere near fully closed.

    It sounds as if yours may be faulty or you're not turning the adjustment knob before locking the
    jaws with it. Are the plastic pads in place? Even if they were missing I think the jaws would still
    close sufficiently albeit with the risk of damage to the bike.

    Pete

  8. Pag

    Pag Guest

    "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > It sounds as if yours may be faulty or you're not turning the adjustment knob before locking the
    > jaws with it.

    The problem was that if I tightened the knob and tried to close the jaws the knob would hit the
    clamp before closing. Looking at it more closely and seeing the part of the instructions charmingly
    titled "if the clamp lever has completely fallen off..." I unscrewed the bolt ("by your improper
    adjustment") and screwed it back in at a slightly different position. It works OK now. Thanks to
    everyone who replied.

    -- pag