Mirrors (again)

ed

Guest
I mounted ny Nashbar trekking bars, now I need a mirror. I have a
Zefal Spy and it mounts easy but the field of vision is too small. I
saw the Ultralite from Ortleib, but Im still not thrilled. Anyone
using trekking bars got a good mirror? Pictures or a good site
appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

What are trekking bars?

On my Thunderbolt I use a convex rear view mirror sold by J.C. Whitney that is
11 inches wide. It mounts under the handlebar clamp cap with a bracket I made
easily. The first bracket was made from a part of the mirror mount. The next
version was of unbreakable Lexan. The first was sheet metal from the clamp that
clamps the add-on mirror ($7.95) to your existing rear view mirror.

I support the mirror with 7/8 inch shaft collars and another J.C. Whitney item,
a 4 AA cell fluorescent light, which is screwed to the mirror. The mirror and
light are lashed to the bars with white (natural nylon) wire ties that don't
obscure the light much.

If you can figure out a mount this might be good for you. Are trekking bars the
kind that put your hands up high, or down low? For me, my bars are at eye level
and the mirror probably wouldn't work if your arms were lower. They'd obscure
the view.

Some pics can be uploaded to ftp://users.aol.com/DGoncz if there is any
interest here.

>From: [email protected] (ed)

>I mounted ny Nashbar trekking bars, now I need a mirror. I have a
>Zefal Spy and it mounts easy but the field of vision is too small. I
>saw the Ultralite from Ortleib, but Im still not thrilled. Anyone
>using trekking bars got a good mirror? Pictures or a good site
>appreciated.

Yours,
Doug Goncz ( ftp://users.aol.com/DGoncz/incoming )
Student member SAE for one year.
I love: Dona, Jeff, Kim, Mom, Neelix, Tasha, and Teri, alphabetically.
I drive: A double-step Thunderbolt with 657% range.

[email protected] (ed) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I mounted ny Nashbar trekking bars, now I need a mirror. I have a
> Zefal Spy and it mounts easy but the field of vision is too small. I
> saw the Ultralite from Ortleib, but Im still not thrilled. Anyone
> using trekking bars got a good mirror? Pictures or a good site
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ed

I have used one of these mirrors, ( from Performancebike.com ) for
several years.

It is tiny but, by being mounted close to your eye, you can see just
as well as you can with a 3" mirror mounted on your handlebars.

CycleAware ViewPoint Mirrors

Price: $10.59
Item #00-0466

Lewis.