Missy Giove's QR pops open

"Chris Snell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Chris Snell" <[email protected]> wrote
> >

> > > Well, a caliper costs money, whereas in my country health care is free.
> > >
> > > - Chris.
> >
> > Not to completely change the (longwinded) subject, but do doctors
> and nurses
> > work for free? Hospital buildings are built from....donations?
> >
> > Pete
> >
> So here's the long, serious answer Pete.
<snip>

No need to explain, just do some reading:

http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/health/

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

It never happened - she didn't even have the QR installed. In fact, she

FFS.................

Shaun aRe

SuperSlinky <[email protected]> wrote:
>Tim McNamara said...
>>And well you might apologize, not for being too harsh but for being a

>Really Tim, with such witty, mature and original prose, who is being the idiot?

Tim's right on the money. James Annan has a real point; people who froth, like you, don't advance
the discussion any. If you don't have any technical points to make, blither away in alt.m-b if you
like but stay out of r.b.tech.

"Chris Snell" <[email protected]> wrote

> Pete, I don't know if this is a serious question, or if you just missed the bottom of my post
> where I said "I was just pulling Tim's leg, and the REAL answer to his question can be found
> elsewhere in this thread in a reply to Jobst."
>
> In case it's a serious question, and I'm really not trying to be rude here, but it seems so OT
> that I won't answer it in rec.bicycles.tech, only alt.mountain-bike, where OT seems not to be the
> exception, but almost the rule!
>
> - Chris.

Yes I did miss the leg pullin' part, but I dropped that sarcasm in there because I hear this
sentiment quite often

"Our healthcare (Canada, UK, wherever) is free!" And I just have to raise the BS flag.

And actually, as you point out below, it's not. The medical pros simply get their money from a
different place, but ultimately from the citizens. Just like everywhere else.

Pete

James Annan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> SuperSlinky wrote:
>
> > Actually, I would venture to guess that most people are put off by your snide, arrogant
> > attitude.
>
> I guess there may be some truth in that.

Then one must agree that "toning it down" may be in order.

> All I have to offer in my defence is that it gets a bit tedious replying to the same old
> objections time after time after time. It's been 2 months already!

The real objections have never been adequately addressed. It's a circular discussion, because the
same evidence is being offered up to explain away the objections - no new info has been forthcoming.

> You may agree that I have 'made my point', but nevertheless there are some who continue to
> disagree...

The disagreement comes because you state your case with certainty, using inductive reasoning as the
basis for your logical conclusion. So, let us recap:

You state that the brake can cause wheel ejection. I agree - the force diagram is clear enough to
support that contention.

You state that the QR binding tension might not be enough to counteract the forces involved in disk
brake actuation, which can move the QR in the drop-out. I agree that the possibility exists. Your
math shows how it might be possible.

Stop. So far, we have some hypotheses, well-supported by math and physics. Right up to this point, I
feel as though you have done a good job in calling into question the set-up as currently used. Now,
we get to the tough part:

The unscrewing mechanism. In other applications of repeated assymetric forces on a screw-type
fastener, loosening has been observed. OK, so far. Now, it seems as though the test rig for the
experiment to verify your hypothesis should be simple at this point. Not cheap, but simple. If it is
indeed as much of a certainty as you seem to think it is, then it should be easily verified.

This set of experiments would remove any question of misapplication (using a cross-country set-up on
a fast downhill, for instance) or other user error (QR done up incorrectly.) It could be tested on a
variety of tire/wheel/brake/fork combos, just to find correlation with other physical factors - that
is, is a cheap, flexy suspension fork more likely to eject, as opposed to a well-built rigid fork?

As an experimental scientist, I understand the challenges of a properly set-up experiment. The
evidence you have collected has absolutely no controls at all. I do not even know if wheel ejection
happens more often with rim or disk brakes! (As a percentage of total in use.) What is the
frequency, and what is the real risk, here?

You will note that I do not dismiss, nor do I minimize any part of your idea. I am calling for MORE
DATA. Data with controls. Data compiled by those who have the understanding of the significance of
the experiments, and can control them down to the smallest, least significant detail. Operating
temperature? Etc. etc.

This has been the undercurrent to most of the objections. There are some cranks who might dismiss
you idea out-of-hand, but those folks seem to be few and far between.

I will tell you this: I have a disk-brake MTB. A coil-in-oil single-crown fork, running mechanical
disk brake on a Shimano LX hub and skewer. The lever is on the side opposite the caliper, and when
closed, is pointing toward the rear, approximately perpendicular to the ground. When I first heard
of the unscrewing mechanism, I took a scribe and made a small scratch in the paint on the QR and on
the drop-out, such that the marks line up. Both sides. I do not remove my wheel between ridings, and
my riding would be considered "cross-country." My downhill sections are bumpy and rocky, with plenty
of non-vertical loads on the front wheel (turning, not hitting bumps straight on, roots that are not
perpendicular to the direction of travel, etc.) I have not yet removed the wheel, and I look at the
register marks every time I stop for any reason.

I have ridden approximately 200 trail miles in that time. Exactly half has been fast descent. How
much do you think the skewer has moved in the last month? If your answer was "zero," then you are
correct. Why should I think, from the data collected, that I should see movement next month? And
yes, I saw your post where you suggest it could happen "all at once." Frankly, I do not see how we
get from a regime of "not moving at all over the course of 200 miles" to "all at once in 300 feet"
over the same type of terrain. And remember, this experiment that I am performing is actually more
controlled than any of the evidence you present in your website, where absolutely NOTHING is known
about the prior condition of the QR before ejection, or the notice that it was loose.

I would ask that you not just "snip and dismiss" as you have done with other posters. If you
feel I have unfairly summarized or characterized, please indicate that. I will re-iterate - I am
not attacking your hypothesis. I *am* questioning it's significance, frequency and lack of
controlled data.

Spider

"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>It never happened - she didn't even have the QR installed. In fact, she

Well THAT explains it!

I do have to laugh at the assumption that Missy can't make an error in judgement, when in fact,
that's what she's most famous for. I'm not talking about just crashing spectacularly, but let's talk
about fashion sense... (for example, a dead fish around your neck?). ;-)

Spider wrote:

> The real objections have never been adequately addressed. It's a circular discussion, because the
> same evidence is being offered up to explain away the objections - no new info has been
> forthcoming.

I have seen no 'real objections', merely "I haven't seen it", as you repeat below.

> The unscrewing mechanism. In other applications of repeated assymetric forces on a screw-type
> fastener, loosening has been observed. OK, so far. Now, it seems as though the test rig for the
> experiment to verify your hypothesis should be simple at this point. Not cheap, but simple. If it
> is indeed as much of a certainty as you seem to think it is, then it should be easily verified.

Indeed, and if you feel you need to see it for yourself, I suggest you go ahead and set up the
experiment. You don't seriously expect the manufacturers to publish an objective unbiased study
demonstrating the failure of their products? What else do you intend to do, just sit on the
sidelines and snipe and moan? It's your reponsibility to get this problem fixed, just as much as
it is mine.

> This set of experiments would remove any question of misapplication (using a cross-country set-up
> on a fast downhill, for instance)

This is getting laughable. Now it's 'operator error' for riding down a hill!

> I do not even know if wheel ejection happens more often with rim or disk brakes! (As a percentage
> of total in use.) What is the frequency, and what is the real risk, here?

It's obvious that the frequency is massively greater with disk brakes. Another UK rider reported
having their skewer unscrew at the weekend, one went to hospital the weekend before. These failures
are occurring for experienced cyclists. As for rim brake failures, despite the hugely larger number
of miles ridden, people have to dredge up chilhodd memories when they were playing around, forgot
to install the wheel at all and dropped it out as they set off riding. As the story spreads slowly,
every few days I get more email describing at least skewer unscrewing, sometimes a complete wheel
ejection. This has all happened in the last few years, disk brakes have not been widespread for
very long.

> You will note that I do not dismiss, nor do I minimize any part of your idea. I am calling for
> MORE DATA. Data with controls. Data compiled by those who have the understanding of the
> significance of the experiments, and can control them down to the smallest, least significant
> detail. Operating temperature? Etc. etc.

Go and get it then. Good luck. As you say, it should be easy enough, it will just cost money to pick
up a range of equipment to test.

James

James Annan <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>> No, it's a legitimate question that you haven't answered yet.
>

>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=images&frame=right&rnum=151&thl-
>=1068794947,1068794065,1068793447,1068793016,1068776738,1068765678,1068755614,1068755372,1068751-
>801,1068742514,1068740078,1068737824&seekm=timmcn-0F16C7.13541530052003%40gemini.visi.com&scorin-
>g=d#link160
>

>> Should I start calling you a troll or take on a huffy attitude (double entendre intended)?
>
>You should read that post.

OK, I did...

>> Once the QR is loose enough for the front wheel to begin moving in the dropouts, it's going to
>> take a while before the QR is loose enough to clear the lawyer lips. It's hard to imagine the
>> rider wouldn't notice the blatantly obvious brake rub (or even handling maladies) between those
>> two points. Yet this doesn't seem to be the case in the anecdotal evidence.
>
>Are you saying that the wheel loss incidents don't occur at all?

Of course not (don't see how anyone could get that impression from what I've written - in fact, I've
helped riders who HAVE lost their front wheels).

>Since a QR has to not only open, but also unscrew, there seem to be 3 possibilities.
>
>Either the rider has never fastened his QR from the start of the ride, and has somehow managed a
>whole day ride without ever noticing that his wheel is completely loose.
>
>Or else the lever opens through improper use, then the QR has to unscrew further while the rider
>does not notice that his wheel is completely floppy.
>
>Or else the QR unscrews, as soon as it is reasonably loose the lever flops open and it clears the
>lip immediately.
>
>It seems very clear to me that the third case is the one that the rider has least chance of
>noticing, but my point is that however the wheel loss occurs, the rider has to ride for at least a
>short distance with a loose wheel (in the third case, this short distance is generally a section of
>a fast and bumpy descent when they have plenty of other hazards to distract then). Therefore I
>don't see how your comment can either be true (since the wheel loss occurs) or relevant (since it
>applies to all failures). However it would seem to lend weak support to the unscrewing theory,
>since this wil be the least obvious of the three.

My whole point is that no matter which of the three scenarios applies, a significant amount of time
that the wheel will be loose enough to cause lots o' brake rub, but too snug to exit the bike. I'll
agree with the hierarchy of the above three scenairos (in order of "noticeability"). I know I notice
brake rub (though I don't run discs on my personal bikes) immediately - I can imagine that it would
be possible to miss the noise on a very bumpy, or gravel covered descent. That's not to say there
wouldn't be VERY apparent issues with the way the bike is responding - but I CAN visualize someone
not noticing.

>Or do you have another idea for how a wheel can come free? There are occasional skewer breakages,
>but these only form a small proportion of wheel losses.

I had a skewer break once, but fortunately just as I finished tightened it.

It would sure be nice to be able to test various levels of QR tightness without risking dental work!
;-) Barring that, I suspect that a random inspection of lots of bikes at a race (or popular weekend
riding spot) would garner a lot of useful (though anecdotal) information. For example, checking for:

1) Loose or improperly closed QR skewers
2) Visual clues that the QR has moved in the fork dropout at some point in time
3) Damage to lawyer lips (including intentional removal)

... would net some interesting data.

David Damerell said...

> Tim's right on the money. James Annan has a real point; people who froth, like you, don't advance
> the discussion any. If you don't have any technical points to make, blither away in alt.m-b if you
> like but stay out of r.b.tech.

On the contrary, I made several on-topic points. Where are yours? All I see is a lame 'me
too' follow up to Mr. McNamara's churlish post. Yes, I flamed Mr. Annan, but I didn't quite
froth. Perhaps you confused me with your friend Mr. McNamara whose profanity went far beyond
anything I said.

Mark Hickey writes:

> My whole point is that no matter which of the three scenarios applies, a significant amount of
> time that the wheel will be loose enough to cause lots o' brake rub, but too snug to exit the
> bike. I'll agree with the hierarchy of the above three scenarios (in order of "noticeability"). I
> know I notice brake rub (though I don't run discs on my personal bikes) immediately - I can
> imagine that it would be possible to miss the noise on a very bumpy, or gravel covered descent.
> That's not to say there wouldn't be VERY apparent issues with the way the bike is responding - but
> I CAN visualize someone not noticing.

I don't think you've tried this. Just loosen your QR and ride slowly (on a lawn if you like)
pedaling both while sitting and standing, and notice that you must do some odd gyrations for the
wheel to rub on the brakes. During normal use, the wheel does not tilt out of the dropouts. You have
to lunge and lift on the bars while sprinting for that to occur.

> I had a skewer break once, but fortunately just as I finished tightened it.

Well, you don't know how it would ride from that if you haven't tried
it. I ruined a wheel once while riding to work because I failed to close the QR and after a mile of
city start-stop riding I jumped a curb where the wheel dropped out and the fork came down with
a dropout ripping out a spoke when it came down. There was no indication that the wheel was not
secure on sitting and standing acceleration much less while cruising along.

> It would sure be nice to be able to test various levels of QR tightness without risking dental
> work! ;-) Barring that, I suspect that a random inspection of lots of bikes at a race (or popular
> weekend riding spot) would garner a lot of useful (though anecdotal) information. For example,
> checking for:

> 1) Loose or improperly closed QR skewers
> 2) Visual clues that the QR has moved in the fork dropout at some point in time
> 3) Damage to lawyer lips (including intentional removal)

> ... would net some interesting data.

Well? Go collect some instead of hypothesizing with nothing but a vivid imagination to build your
scenarios.

In article <[email protected]>, SuperSlinky <[email protected]> wrote:

> Another possible solution to your proposed problem that you just blow off. You guys must have
> really dull lives to keep harping on this unproven theoretical problem that already has
> solutions. I hate to be the one that says the emperor has no clothes, but it is pretty obvious to
> me that the Annan camp just wants to leave its mark on the bicycle industry, much like a dog
> pissing on a post.

Myself excluded- since I've left no enduring mark on the bicycle industry and never will- the "Annan
camp" has already left its mark on the bicycle industry- proper wheel building, vertical dropouts,
modern cyclocomputers, the altimeter function used by Avocet, modern road tires without useless
tread... The odds are good that you yourself use some of these if not all.

Given that two major manufacturers- including one of the world's leading bike companies- have
acknowledged that they are looking into this issue explicitly as a result of Annan's work suggests
that there is a significant issue which he has revealed.

Sorry you don't like what he has to say. C'est la vie.

In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> I had a skewer break once, but fortunately just as I finished tightened it.

This is something I've never seen. Where did it break (I'd guess at the start of the threads is the
most likely location)? Had it been damaged in some way before this happened?

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
|
| > I had a skewer break once, but fortunately just as I finished tightened it.
|
| This is something I've never seen. Where did it break (I'd guess at the start of the threads is
| the most likely location)? Had it been damaged in some way before this happened?

I have seen:

(1) The casing of the cam mechanism break (pre-designer skewer era)

(2) The knob (nut) stripped (all alloy designer knob with no steel insert)

(3) The nut holding the lever on an el-cheapo skewer break off at the base

In 15 years of serious cycling, this is all I've ever seen. (#1 discovered in pre-ride check -
substituted the skewer from his roof rack to ride. #2 happened to me test riding a road bike for a
customer, resulting in a nice chainring tattoo. #3 happened on the repair stand.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 6/1/2003

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I had a skewer break once, but fortunately just as I finished tightened it.
>

> This is something I've never seen. Where did it break (I'd guess at the start of the threads is
> the most likely location)? Had it been damaged in some way before this happened?

I've heard of a handful of these cases. Many MTBers routinely overtighten the QR in order to keep
the wheel in place. Of course it's 'operator error' for doing it up too tight...

James

"Chris Snell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jobst, the leading edge of every part of an offroad bike is gonna get damaged. Sooner or later.
> Would you please trust me on this? If not, go look at the guarding on the leading edge of the
> lowers of motocross bikes, enduros, and yes, bicycles (Marzocchi Shiver to mention just one).
>
> My forks have impact damage on the front of the lowers. Could we have a show of hands, how many
> MTB'ers have damage on the FRONT of the fork? (several million hands raise). How many MTB'ers have
> damage on the BACK of the fork? (two very serious hucksters raise their hands, and one embarassed
> newbie).

Hmm. Should I be worried about my cantilever brakes and cables too? They are on the leading edge of
my shock forks. What about the leading edge of the discs on disc brakes, which are usually
unprotected even with the calipers behind the fork? I would think that the discs themselves would be
a bigger target than the caliper. What about those with V-brakes? The cables stick out to the side a
little more in those and might be slightly more likely to catch on something. Or the the bars for
that matter? I would think impacting the bars on something, hooking it on one side would be much
worse. I have no impact damage to the front of my 10 year old mountain bike with lots of trail miles
on it. There are more scratches on the down tube from things kicked up by the front tire.

"Andrew Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Chris Snell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Jobst, the leading edge of every part of an offroad bike is gonna
get
> > damaged. Sooner or later. Would you please trust me on this? If
not,
> > go look at the guarding on the leading edge of the lowers of
motocross
> > bikes, enduros, and yes, bicycles (Marzocchi Shiver to mention
just
> > one).
> >
> > My forks have impact damage on the front of the lowers. Could we
have
> > a show of hands, how many MTB'ers have damage on the FRONT of the fork? (several million hands
> > raise). How many MTB'ers have damage
on
> > the BACK of the fork? (two very serious hucksters raise their
hands,
> > and one embarassed newbie).
>
> Hmm. Should I be worried about my cantilever brakes and cables too?
They
> are on the leading edge of my shock forks. What about the leading
edge of
> the discs on disc brakes, which are usually unprotected even with
the
> calipers behind the fork? I would think that the discs themselves
would be
> a bigger target than the caliper. What about those with V-brakes?
The
> cables stick out to the side a little more in those and might be
slightly
> more likely to catch on something. Or the the bars for that matter?
> would think impacting the bars on something, hooking it on one side
would be
> much worse. I have no impact damage to the front of my 10 year old
mountain
> bike with lots of trail miles on it.

I suddenly understand some of James Annan's frustration. "It's never happened to me, it must
never happen."

> There are more scratches on the down tube from things kicked up by
the front tire.

Andrew:

How about a hypothetical circumstance? You are about to hit something on the left fork. Where do you
want your pricey caliper, in front of your stout fork, or behind?

Does hitting something on the left fork really sound so impossible to you?

Yeah, hooking your bars on something is bad. So what? If you can make a better bar that works, and
won't hook a tree, the world will beat a path to your door. So just go do it. But in the meantime,
when you do hook that tree, is it gonna hit the front of the handlebar, or the back?

Yes, disks do get damaged. I've read truing instructions in various MTB magazines. I'm not saying
this happens from frontal impact, in fact I would bet most times it's not, but how many bent
disks do you think there are in the world that got bent from being hit from behind while
travelling forwards?

The scratches on your downtube? Are they on the leading edge of the tube, or the trailing edge? I'm
just asking.

My friend, it is a sad but true fact that bicycles usually travel forward more than they do
backward, and at higher rates of speed.

I'm surprised I'm being branded some kind of radical for suggesting there's an advantage to where
the caliper wound up on motorcycles and bicycles, after years of evolution. As long as wheel ejects
are eliminated, why not leave the caliper where it is? All I was suggesting to Jobst is that there
are probably other solutions, which maybe don't have the disadvantage of putting the caliper in
harms way.

- Chris.

PS if you have no impact damage on the front of your bike and the only scratches on your downtube
are from things kicked up by the front tire, and you have no intimate, personal experience of
what happens when you hook a bar, after 10 years of riding, I gotta ask man, how do you do it?

> In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I had a skewer break once, but fortunately just as I finished tightened it.

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This is something I've never seen. Where did it break (I'd guess at the start of the threads is
> the most likely location)? Had it been damaged in some way before this happened?

I have seen the bell shatter on tightening more than once. (not my own, though) Perhaps
overly hardened?

In news:[email protected], Tim McNamara <[email protected]> typed:

> Given that two major manufacturers- including one of the world's leading bike companies- have
> acknowledged that they are looking into this issue explicitly as a result of Annan's work suggests
> that there is a significant issue which he has revealed.

Nothing of the sort - they are just reacting as any company has to react to cover themselves legally
should there turn out to be any substance. Remember how much McDonald's got fined for not telling
people that hot coffee was hot?

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

In news:[email protected], [email protected]
<[email protected]> typed:

> I don't think you've tried this. Just loosen your QR and ride slowly (on a lawn if you like)
> pedaling both while sitting and standing, and notice that you must do some odd gyrations for the
> wheel to rub on the brakes. During normal use, the wheel does not tilt out of the dropouts. You
> have to lunge and lift on the bars while sprinting for that to occur.

Are you doing this with a disc brake equipped bike with suspension forks on other than smooth
ground. You most certainly do not have to "lunge and lift on the bars" of a mountain bike with
suspension forks and discs to notice the wheel is not done up. Just a little uneveness in the ground
will do it for you. I know from having done it (subject to comment below)

> I ruined a wheel once while riding to work because I failed to close the QR

You must be mistaken. Experienced riders do not forget to do up their QRs - remember, operator error
does not happen so you must have been mistaken ;-)

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >It never happened - she didn't even have the QR installed. In fact, she

> Well THAT explains it!

Yeah, and what's with this myth that she was even riding a bike? ***** had too much vodka and fell
over outside a bar - the rest is just hearsay.

> I do have to laugh at the assumption that Missy can't make an error in judgement, when in fact,
> that's what she's most famous for. I'm not talking about just crashing spectacularly, but let's
> talk about fashion sense... (for example, a dead fish around your neck?). ;-)

Yeah, she's messed up alright.

Shaun aRe