Mixing Campag 10 speed and Shimano 8 speed?

Michael

Guest
I know this subject has been covered many times before, but perhaps someone here can help me. I ran
a search that referred me to a recent article in the CTC magazine about mixing campagnolo and
shimano parts.

According to the reference, the CTC article states that one can use a campagnolo 10 speed ergo
shifter to perfectly shift a shimano rear mech and a shimano 8 speed cassette.

I can't find the CTC article on the internet. Has anyone here tried this combination successfully?
Can anyone provide me with a copy of the article (or confirm this information for me)?

I'm currently running Shimano 8 speed bar ends (XT rear mech, 12-32 cassette) on my cyclocross
bike, and if it's true that 10 speed campagnolo shifters would work here, it would be an
inexpensive, easy upgrade.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

(please email me at [email protected] )

Not actually tried this myself but I can confirm that the CTC article said the cable pull for a campag 10 speed ergo was the same as a shimano 8 speed. I've also got a Shimano 8 speed setup on one of my bikes and have a set of 10 speed Chorus ergos sitting in the shed. Just need to find the time to fit them.

Cheers,

Andy

Michael must be edykated coz e writed:

> I know this subject has been covered many times before, but perhaps someone here can help me. I
> ran a search that referred me to a recent article in the CTC magazine about mixing campagnolo and
> shimano parts.
>

> According to the reference, the CTC article states that one can use a campagnolo 10 speed ergo
> shifter to perfectly shift a shimano rear mech and a shimano 8 speed cassette.
>
> I can't find the CTC article on the internet. Has anyone here tried this combination successfully?
> Can anyone provide me with a copy of the article (or confirm this information for me)?
>
> I'm currently running Shimano 8 speed bar ends (XT rear mech, 12-32 cassette) on my cyclocross
> bike, and if it's true that 10 speed campagnolo shifters would work here, it would be an
> inexpensive, easy upgrade.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Michael
>
> (please email me at [email protected] )
As they both use a 1:2 shift ratio it will be no problem, just set your max and min travel stops
accordingly.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:23:56 GMT, Michael <[email protected]> wrote:

>According to the reference, the CTC article states that one can use a campagnolo 10 speed ergo
>shifter to perfectly shift a shimano rear mech and a shimano 8 speed cassette.
>
>I can't find the CTC article on the internet. Has anyone here tried this combination successfully?
>Can anyone provide me with a copy of the article (or confirm this information for me)?

Yes, I use this set up on our Tandem. Shiman Ultegra 9 speed rear mech, XT 8 speed cassette and
Capmpag Daytona 10 speed shifters. It shifts/indexes absolutely perfectly.

There is no trick or conversion invovlved, it's just that the Ergo 10 speed cable pull happens to be
same as Shimano 8 speed.

You can find a more general discussion here:

http://www.precisiontandems.com/gearcompat.htm

Go for it!

tom.

Michael <[email protected]> wrote:

: According to the reference, the CTC article states that one can use a campagnolo 10 speed ergo
: shifter to perfectly shift a shimano rear mech and a shimano 8 speed cassette.

I haven't seen the article, but I'd be amazed.

Campag eight shifts Shimano seven perfectly (identical spacing) Campag nine and Shimano nine are
close enough that it can be got to work either way.

Campag ten will have a much smaller inter-socket gap than Shimano eight so I really don't see
it working.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

Tom Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:

: Yes, I use this set up on our Tandem. Shiman Ultegra 9 speed rear mech, XT 8 speed cassette and
: Capmpag Daytona 10 speed shifters. It shifts/indexes absolutely perfectly.

I stand corrected! I'm amazed, but still, if it works you can't argue with that.

Arthur

--

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Michael <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : According to the reference, the CTC article states that one can use a campagnolo 10 speed ergo
> : shifter to perfectly shift a shimano rear mech and a shimano 8 speed cassette.
>
> I haven't seen the article, but I'd be amazed.
>
> Campag eight shifts Shimano seven perfectly (identical spacing) Campag nine and Shimano nine are
> close enough that it can be got to work either way.
>
> Campag ten will have a much smaller inter-socket gap than Shimano eight so I really don't see it
> working.
>
> Arthur

Arthur,

It's not the sprocket spacing, but the amount of cable pull by the levers and matching it to the
amount of cable required by the rear mech, a sort of 'pulley gearing' ratio

Pete

--
Pete

interchange 12 for 21 to reply