<[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Don't people simply find the distance they like to run and those
competitive try to run the fastest they can for that distance?
__
no. "those competitive" (your words) generally recognize, evaluate,
&
consider the field. that's what's missing from your observation doug.
an awarness of the "field of competition".
Interesting notion but not one that I would agree with. Are you
suggesting that people pick the people they want to beat and then try to
excel at the distance? Since you seem to stalk Donovan in your
proverbial Big D contest does that mean if he decides to become the 42k
specialist you will then train to be one also?
Tell me what race at what distance doesn't have competition? To take
your notion a step further when did competition become only the Big D
contest between runners? No to be disrespectful but I liken this
attitude to a 12 year old and masturbation - they all go through it and
grow out of it as the main source of release. I find competition is
within the runner. It's him against the clock. Not to say that having
someone in visual proximity does not drive someone to run harder or
faster. I contend it takes even more balls to it alone. Do I assume a 5k
race format where runners start 10 minutes apart is not competitive?
One might contend you have a Big D syndrome.
I still feel a runner finds the distance(s) that right for his skills
and abilities and competes. So we will agree to disagree.
Quoted message said:you again mention Kouros. with him, the issue w/me for example is not
that he's not amazing at these "feat events". of course he is. but
i ask, "is he a one trick pony"? again, i am not discrediting his
feats and endurance accomplishments. i am simply wondering if he's
carved out a niche for himself...one that draws no where near the fire
and competition of marathons for example.
Maybe, I don't know but does take on all that do it. Frankly I do find
it amazing that he can run that that hard and fast, ALONE. One could
posture was beating the second place runner(out own NY boy Geesler) by
60 miles necessary? He did publicly set some mileage goals and put the
hammer down. Calling it a trick pony is a little disingenuous.
Quoted message said:however if i could direct a line of questioning with him...it would
revolve around standard fare racing (the stuff you see in the Olympics
for example). now the last marathon time I am aware he clocked was
2:43 on an Athens course. I have no idea how that course translates
to
NYC however that time would have gotten him 7th place in his own age
group.
Is the Marathon distance for you is the high water mark or the max
distance the Olympics offers? They are trying to get the 100k added to
the Olympics and who knows maybe even longer distances.
Quoted message said:however i personally am more attracted to those that try to be big
fish
in big ponds. i would be more impressed by yannis if he asserted he
would going to win his age group in Chicago in the Fall, and Win
London
in the Spring.....as opposed to saying "he is going to run a zillion
miles for 6 days in a row, etc.".
It's you opinion and fine. I could claim you're a big wussy because you
won't step up rather then he is trick pony for not stepping down. I find
both statements woefully disingenuous.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:How is 5k different than any endurance run.
the "field' doug. the "field". real life narrows/thins the field
in
these endurance races. hence the very nature of these endurance
events
exludes and diminishes "competition".
How many competitive people does it take for you to define a field. You
seem to think that ultra races are all people out for a Sunday stroll
and have tea and crumpets at each aid station. Let me assure you there
is competition abounding. Ask Dan who often finishes in the top 10. The
nature of the competition is different in that it is not a side by side
battle. Someone can be a hour in front and [censored] the bed in that few
miles and get trounced. Competitive runners know who they will battle
unless you get the unknown rookie.
Quoted message said:not a whole lot of people have
the priviledge to train to run and race 50 or 100 miles. most folks
are busy with their lives and making ends meet, etc.
That's is simply not true and after all my other posts you still hide
behind this. I worked 60 hours a week, raised two kids and only
deprived my family on Saturdays which was my long run. All my other
training was before the kids got up in the morning. if you canvas the
ultra forum you would be amazed how many people get up at 4 am for 2-3
hour run nor go out at 9 or 10 at night.
Ultra racing does mean mega miles. I'm not saying some elites don't do
100+ but average for a 50 mile race, from the few polls taken is about
50-60 MPW and for the 100, 60-70MPW. I see people running these miles
in 10k's. I will admit that the quality of the miles is much harder in
that elevation is primary and that takes more time and why weekends are
reserved for long runs.
Quoted message said:So a 5K is different than an endurance in the scope/scale/dimenion of
the field of competiton it attracts. That's the answwer to your
question and makes all the difference.
They both have the same scale so your argument is titillating smoke
albeit fun to have the dialog. Someday you may find real competition is
how you do vs. the clock and not how you do vs. Mr. X. I'd suggest you
set your sights inside - have a talk with yourself. Reminds me of an
article that I read many years ago and the Sherpa. When asked how the
felt about conquering the mountain the replied, we never conquer the
mountain we become one with the mountain. Hopefully the subtlety does
escape you. 🙂
-DougF