More helmet lies

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Burton, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was given the Haynes book "The Bike Book" for xmas, lucky me, and the sections on bike maintenance
    are excellent.

    Unfortunately, it also has a section about personal safety, which includes the statement "Helmet
    wearing is voluntary, not a legal requirement, but very few bike riders are now bold enough to
    venture on to the roads without one." With the exception of the legality of helmets, this
    statement is apparently a deliberate lie. The majority of road cyclists do not wear a helmet, and
    the implication that a helmet is of any use whatsoever in collision with a motor vehicle is
    arrant nonsense.

    I have visited the Haynes website and after trying to use their response service, emailed their
    webmaster, who has passed my comments on to the author. Please feel free to do the same.

    For those of you who have read some of my previous posts, and have taken exception to my
    description of some of the pro-helmet lobby as "fascists" this is a perfect example of what I mean:
    the deliberate dissumulation of complete nonsense, because the facts don't fit with their own
    logic-less beliefs.

    A helmet will give you only two things: a false sense of security, and a hole in your wallet.

    Rich - helmetless and proud of it!
     
    Tags:


  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > A helmet will give you only two things: a false sense of security, and a hole in your wallet.
    >
    > Rich - helmetless and proud of it!
    >
    ...and possibly, a life (but what would that be worth?).... ...or possibly not...
     
  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Richard Burton <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > A helmet will give you only two things: a false sense of security, and a hole in your wallet.
    >

    ...and a tiresome thread about helmets

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.
     
  4. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

    Richard Burton, in news:[email protected] scribbled ;

    > A helmet will give you only two things: a false sense of security, and a hole in your wallet.

    I disagree. I was wearing a helmet (Halfords £25) while riding along a canal towpath. When I woke up
    from the crash (which I couldn't remember) I had three pieces of gravel embedded about an inch into
    the foam of the helmet, and the foam structure had split, obviously absorbing some of the impact. My
    back, arm, leg was all cut up and abraded, but my head was fine, sore, but not cut or bruised .. ;)

    I now always wear a helmet, but that's maybe 'cos I also ride motorbikes ... ;)

    > Rich - helmetless and proud of it!

    Hopefully, if you ever crash in such circumstances, you'll live ..

    --
    ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1316 wu in 9166 hours
     
  5. Allen Foster

    Allen Foster Guest

    Sorry, but why are you so caught up about a comment in a book /suggesting/ people should wear a
    helmet. I wear one, and generally think it's a good idea but if I saw a publication saying it wasn't
    a good idea I wouldn't take it as some sort of personal insult. I agree with you though that to
    force people to wear one is wrong, it's up to the individual to make the decision.

    Why go out for a nice cycle to calm down.

    Allen

    On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 19:28:28 -0000, "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was given the Haynes book "The Bike Book" for xmas, lucky me, and the sections on bike
    >maintenance are excellent.
    >
    >Unfortunately, it also has a section about personal safety, which includes the statement "Helmet
    >wearing is voluntary, not a legal requirement, but very few bike riders are now bold enough to
    >venture on to the roads without one." With the exception of the legality of helmets, this statement
    >is apparently a deliberate lie. The majority of road cyclists do not wear a helmet, and the
    >implication that a helmet is of any use whatsoever in collision with a motor vehicle is arrant
    >nonsense.
    >
    >I have visited the Haynes website and after trying to use their response service, emailed their
    >webmaster, who has passed my comments on to the author. Please feel free to do the same.
    >
    >For those of you who have read some of my previous posts, and have taken exception to my
    >description of some of the pro-helmet lobby as "fascists" this is a perfect example of what I mean:
    >the deliberate dissumulation of complete nonsense, because the facts don't fit with their own
    >logic-less beliefs.
    >
    >A helmet will give you only two things: a false sense of security, and a hole in your wallet.
    >
    >Rich - helmetless and proud of it!
     
  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Sorry, Rich, one helmet thread at a time is more than enough. This one goes in the filter. Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.
     
  7. John B

    John B Guest

    Paul - xxx wrote:

    > Richard Burton, in news:[email protected] scribbled ;
    >
    > > A helmet will give you only two things: a false sense of security, and a hole in your wallet.
    >
    > I disagree. I was wearing a helmet (Halfords £25) while riding along a canal towpath. When I woke
    > up from the crash ..... my head was fine, sore, but not cut or bruised .. ;)

    But by insisting on continuing a helmet thread it is clear you suffered some brain damage ;-)

    John Buckley
     
  8. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

    John B, in news:[email protected] scribbled ;

    > Paul - xxx wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Burton, in news:[email protected] scribbled ;
    >>
    >>> A helmet will give you only two things: a false sense of security, and a hole in your wallet.
    >>
    >> I disagree. I was wearing a helmet (Halfords £25) while riding along a canal towpath. When I woke
    >> up from the crash ..... my head was fine, sore, but not cut or bruised .. ;)
    >
    > But by insisting on continuing a helmet thread it is clear you suffered some brain damage ;-)
    >
    > John Buckley

    Dammit .. ;)

    --
    ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1316 wu in 9166 hours
     
  9. "Gordon BP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Richard Burton wrote:
    > > I was given the Haynes book "The Bike Book" for xmas, lucky me, and the sections on bike
    > > maintenance are excellent.
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, it also has a section about personal safety, which includes the statement "Helmet
    > > wearing is voluntary, not a legal requirement, but very few bike riders are now bold enough to
    > > venture on to the roads without one."
    >
    > I had an argument with Halford Sales dept some years ago concerning very large posters in their
    > shops which said "A Helmet makes Cycling Safer"!!!!!!!!!

    Amazing, noone could possibly have guessed that Halfrods make money from selling helmet. Never seen
    such a thing in a proper bike shop, mind.
     
  10. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:HIy*[email protected]...
    > Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Tell me David, how many hours a day do they let you play with the
    computer
    > >?...Is there a nice gentle soothing tune playing over the PA system
    during
    > >'waking hours' ?
    >
    > Perhaps you should devote your attention to not posting drivel, rather than abusing those who
    > point out that you are doing so. Switching from your current incoherent stream of consciousness to
    > coherent English would be a step in the right direction.
    > --
    > David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?
    One man's drivel is another man's facts....
     
  11. Gordon Bp

    Gordon Bp Guest

    Richard Burton wrote:
    > I was given the Haynes book "The Bike Book" for xmas, lucky me, and the sections on bike
    > maintenance are excellent.
    >
    > Unfortunately, it also has a section about personal safety, which includes the statement "Helmet
    > wearing is voluntary, not a legal requirement, but very few bike riders are now bold enough to
    > venture on to the roads without one."

    I had an argument with Halford Sales dept some years ago concerning very large posters in their
    shops which said "A Helmet makes Cycling Safer"!!!!!!!!!
     
  12. W K

    W K Guest

    "Chesney Christ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A certain Richard Burton, of uk.rec.cycling "fame", writes :
    >
    > >A helmet will give you only two things: a false sense of security, and a hole in your wallet.
    > >
    > >Rich - helmetless and proud of it!
    >
    > I don't wear a helmet, but I'm not so proud of it so that may change soon.
    >
    > If I hit the ground at any sort of speed - whether it involves a car or not - how well am I going
    > to come off if the top or side of my head hits the ground ?

    Worse still, all the ear ache you'd get afterwards.
     
  13. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 20:23:51 +0000 someone who may be Allen Foster
    <[email protected]_THISnewtownbreda.demANDTHISon.co.uk> wrote this:-

    >Sorry, but why are you so caught up about a comment in a book /suggesting/ people should wear
    >a helmet.

    He was commenting on a lie. The lie is, "very few bike riders are now bold enough to venture on to
    the roads without one".

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
    keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
     
  14. Richard Burton wrote:
    >
    > I was given the Haynes book "The Bike Book" for xmas, lucky me, and the sections on bike
    > maintenance are excellent.
    >
    > Unfortunately, it also has a section about personal safety, which includes the statement "Helmet
    > wearing is voluntary, not a legal requirement, but very few bike riders are now bold enough to
    > venture on to the roads without one." With the exception of the legality of helmets, this
    > statement is apparently a deliberate lie. The majority of road cyclists do not wear a helmet, and
    > the implication that a helmet is of any use whatsoever in collision with a motor vehicle is arrant
    > nonsense.
    ...
    > For those of you who have read some of my previous posts, and have taken exception to my
    > description of some of the pro-helmet lobby as "fascists" this is a perfect example of what I
    > mean: the deliberate dissumulation of complete nonsense, because the facts don't fit with their
    > own logic-less beliefs.

    Maybe, but isn't "back covering" a better explanation?

    --
    Patrick Herring http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/cgi-bin/makeperson?P.Herring
     
  15. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Chesney Christ <[email protected]> wrote:
    > A certain Richard Burton, of uk.rec.cycling "fame", writes :
    >
    > >A helmet will give you only two things: a false sense of security, and a hole in your wallet.
    >
    > If I hit the ground at any sort of speed - whether it involves a car or not - how well am I going
    > to come off if the top or side of my head hits the ground ?

    Precisely. What's best - hit the ground with your head in a helmet, or not hit the ground at all?
    Personally, I'd prefer the latter, QED best not to waer a helmet.

    [Please note, this is not a serious argument, but it is as logicaly coherent as Chesney's]

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|
     
  16. Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>A helmet will give you only two things: a false sense of security, and a hole in your wallet.
    >...and possibly, a life (but what would that be worth?)....

    It is exactly that kind of drivel that characterises what are rightly called "helmet lies".

    >...or possibly not...

    ... and if you know it's drivel, why are you posting it?
    --
    David Damerell <[email protected]> Kill the tomato!
     
  17. Pattledom

    Pattledom Guest

    Richard Burton wrote:
    > I was given the Haynes book "The Bike Book" for xmas, lucky me, and the sections on bike
    > maintenance are excellent.
    >
    > Unfortunately, it also has a section about personal safety, which includes the statement "Helmet
    > wearing is voluntary, not a legal requirement, but very few bike riders are now bold enough to
    > venture on to the roads without one." With the exception of the legality of helmets, this
    > statement is apparently a deliberate lie. The majority of road cyclists do not wear a helmet, and
    > the implication that a helmet is of any use whatsoever in collision with a motor vehicle is arrant
    > nonsense.
    >

    In another place, a Haynes manual is commonly referrred to as "the Haynes Book of Lies" - perhaps
    they're trying to live up to the nickname.

    --
    Andrew Pattle
     
  18. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:-4v*[email protected]...
    > Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >>A helmet will give you only two things: a false sense of security, and a hole in your wallet.
    > >...and possibly, a life (but what would that be worth?)....
    >
    > It is exactly that kind of drivel that characterises what are rightly called "helmet lies".
    >
    > >...or possibly not...
    >
    > ... and if you know it's drivel, why are you posting it?
    > --
    > David Damerell <[email protected]> Kill the tomato!

    What has this poor tomato ever done to you ? Tell me David, how many hours a day do they let you
    play with the computer ?...Is there a nice gentle soothing tune playing over the PA system during
    'waking hours' ?
     
  19. Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Tell me David, how many hours a day do they let you play with the computer ?...Is there a nice
    >gentle soothing tune playing over the PA system during 'waking hours' ?

    Perhaps you should devote your attention to not posting drivel, rather than abusing those who point
    out that you are doing so. Switching from your current incoherent stream of consciousness to
    coherent English would be a step in the right direction.
    --
    David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...