Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Motobecane? Who? Huh???

Started by Nate · · Last activity · 9 posts · 643 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
29 June 2004
Last activity
9 July 2004
Original author
Nate
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
643
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. It looks as if Motobecane is making a move (or trying to) back into
    the market here. Does anyone ride one?

    Just curious, since I ordered one, frame and fork combo. The price
    was right, and it makes a good start for a really light race bike.

    However, if I brake it, you can bet I'll post that experience...

    Nate

  2. Nate says:

    Quoted message said:

    However, if I brake it, you can bet I'll post that experience...

    Well, hopefully, the brakes will work.
    Now if you were to _break_ it, that would indeed be news... ;-P

    Steve

  3. Quoted message said:

    Does anyone ride one?

    I had a Nomad back in the 80's, put fenders and big baloon tires and a
    moustaché handlebars and turned it into a offroad beater. great bike, loved
    it.

    Quoted message said:

    Just curious, since I ordered one, frame and fork combo. The price
    was right, and it makes a good start for a really light race bike.

    Ohh a NEW one????? Nope, sorry can't help you.

  4. Nate said:

    It looks as if Motobecane is making a move (or trying to) back into
    the market here. Does anyone ride one?

    Just curious, since I ordered one, frame and fork combo. The price
    was right, and it makes a good start for a really light race bike.

    However, if I brake it, you can bet I'll post that experience...

    Nate

    Rebadged Taiwan stuff. I don't think anything's the same other than the
    name. Could be of decent quality... but lots of it is sold on eBay at
    relatively cheap prices... an indication of not-so-good quality since the
    cost of selling on eBay is quite high, meaning the prices that the seller
    gets them at has to be pretty low, on the order of 60% of the price they
    sell at. And we all know what low prices mean.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  5. "ZeeExSixAre" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Nate said:

    It looks as if Motobecane is making a move (or trying to) back into
    the market here. Does anyone ride one?

    Just curious, since I ordered one, frame and fork combo. The price
    was right, and it makes a good start for a really light race bike.

    However, if I brake it, you can bet I'll post that experience...

    Nate

    Rebadged Taiwan stuff. I don't think anything's the same other than the
    name. Could be of decent quality... but lots of it is sold on eBay at
    relatively cheap prices... an indication of not-so-good quality since the
    cost of selling on eBay is quite high, meaning the prices that the seller
    gets them at has to be pretty low, on the order of 60% of the price they
    sell at. And we all know what low prices mean.

    Yeah, the whole Taiwan thing concerns me. But I haven't seen any
    mountain bikes (Motobecane) on ebay. The retail price on the full
    bikes they offer is quite low to begin with, so I would imagine if I
    did see it on ebay, it would also be quite cheap. The retail on the
    Fly team with xtr components is $1600-$1700. Not too bad for a sub
    20lb bike. _If the frame holds up_

  6. Nate said:

    "ZeeExSixAre" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Nate said:

    It looks as if Motobecane is making a move (or trying to) back into
    the market here. Does anyone ride one?

    Just curious, since I ordered one, frame and fork combo. The
    price was right, and it makes a good start for a really light race
    bike.

    However, if I brake it, you can bet I'll post that experience...

    Nate

    Rebadged Taiwan stuff. I don't think anything's the same other than
    the name. Could be of decent quality... but lots of it is sold on
    eBay at relatively cheap prices... an indication of not-so-good
    quality since the cost of selling on eBay is quite high, meaning the
    prices that the seller gets them at has to be pretty low, on the
    order of 60% of the price they sell at. And we all know what low
    prices mean.

    Yeah, the whole Taiwan thing concerns me. But I haven't seen any
    mountain bikes (Motobecane) on ebay. The retail price on the full
    bikes they offer is quite low to begin with, so I would imagine if I
    did see it on ebay, it would also be quite cheap. The retail on the
    Fly team with xtr components is $1600-$1700. Not too bad for a sub
    20lb bike. _If the frame holds up_

    The fact that it's Taiwanese isn't necessarily bad. All my bikes are made
    in Taiwan, with the exception of my BMX, which is from China. No qualms
    about frame strength on any of them, but they're all Giants with the
    exception of the BMX.

    The fact that nobody's heard of Motobecane coming back is what concerns you
    and the fact that there's no local dealer. I'll probably have to guess that
    you'll get what you pay for, but I personally wouldn't be worried about it.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  7. no but I seen a few of them in TDF

    I MTB 2004

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    ZeeExSixAre said:
    Nate said:

    "ZeeExSixAre" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Nate wrote:
    > It looks as if Motobecane is making a move (or trying to) back into
    > the market here. Does anyone ride one?

    Quoted message said:

    The fact that it's Taiwanese isn't necessarily bad. All my bikes are made
    in Taiwan, with the exception of my BMX, which is from China. No qualms
    about frame strength on any of them, but they're all Giants with the
    exception of the BMX.

    The fact that nobody's heard of Motobecane coming back is what concerns you
    and the fact that there's no local dealer. I'll probably have to guess that
    you'll get what you pay for, but I personally wouldn't be worried about it.

    Motobecane is big in France 🙂. But then, so are lightweight hardtails
    in general.

    If you care, Mountain Bike Action reviewed the X-Fly in the last year or
    so. They liked the weight and the price, and said the bike was pretty
    amazingly priced considering the components.

    Taiwanese bikes are in the same state as Japanese bikes in the late
    1970s: they're the bike-maker for the entire world, and make bike frames
    ranging from department-store to top-end.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/
    President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club


  9. Quoted message said:

    Yeah, the whole Taiwan thing concerns me. But I haven't seen any
    mountain bikes (Motobecane) on ebay. The retail price on the full
    bikes they offer is quite low to begin with, so I would imagine if I
    did see it on ebay, it would also be quite cheap. The retail on the
    Fly team with xtr components is $1600-$1700. Not too bad for a sub
    20lb bike. _If the frame holds up_

    I have the 700ds and it's held up to abuse for a year. There's a dealer in
    Florida I got mine from.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.