Motorists and lycra?

On 9 Sep 2006 11:11:03 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I am recovering from illness and I am basically taking it easy at home
>doing nothing. A few days ago I headed out for my first ride. It was to
>be a super low-effort short ride, so I just wore regular clothes. It
>went well, and I did the same for a few days to get back into the swing
>of things. Yesterday I decide to go for a longer ride, so I suited up
>in my full lycra gear and headed out for a 1 hour ride. It was great to
>be back on the road, and there were no incidents to speak of, but I get
>the distinct feeling that motorists gave me more room when I had
>regular clothes on!
>
>Has anyone ever noticed this? Do motorsists have less patience with
>racer wannabes than with average joes?

I have noticed the same thing to a limited extent, but I have
attributed it to drivers mistakenly assuming that a racy-looking rider
can be safely encroached upon because he's not going to do anything
sudden, stupid or illegal, and such a riader is also presumed more
competent, more maneuverable, and less likely to have a spill as the
vehicle passes. The punter in jeans and a t-shirt, OTOH, may be a
local inebriant on the way to or from a lubrication session, and can't
be relied upon to even adhere to the rules of the road.

That's just the impression I get.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:15:03 -0700, Dane Buson <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Also, a blonde wig will get you an additional 6 inches of clearance.
>
>Pardon me while I get my coat and head off to the wig shop.

I've worn a blonde pigtail sticking out from under the helmet. (lots
of aero drag) I guess the helmet cancels out the wig effect because I
didn't notice any difference except weird looks and no comments from
passing cyclists.

I rarely ride without a helmet and thought it was my imagination that
drivers were giving me more room on those occasions I ride with just
the cotton skull cap. hmmmmm

I've already got two wigs. I wonder how they work in the rain.
--
zk

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone ever noticed this? Do motorsists have less patience with
> racer wannabes than with average joes?

It may have to do with intent. A racer wannabe is obviously out there for
recreation/excercise, while a commuter looks like they are using the bike as
transportation. So, some might find being slowed by folks out for their
pleasure is more annoying than being slowed by folks who are out going to
work or running errands and have to get somewhere just like the driver does.
Or, in other word, they see the "average joes" as commuters just like
themselves. Though I've found the most impatient drivers are those on their
way to church Sunday mornings. (And those that ride Arasterdero/Portola in
the SF Bay Area Sunday mornings know exactly what I'm saying.) When I've
met these church goers as parties they even say how annoying all these
recreational cyclist are to be in their way on a rural road while they are
trying to speed off to church. My response is that for many of us on the
road Sunday mornings, riding with nature is our way of connecting with God.
That seems to give them a new perspective, and I've heard makes them more
patient. I didn't mention that most on my ride are Jewish, and went to
temple on Saturday.:)

Cathy Kearns wrote:
> I've found the most impatient drivers are those on their
> way to church Sunday mornings. (And those that ride Arasterdero/Portola in
> the SF Bay Area Sunday mornings know exactly what I'm saying.) When I've
> met these church goers as parties they even say how annoying all these
> recreational cyclist are to be in their way on a rural road while they are
> trying to speed off to church.

Perhaps driving is intended to serve some metaphysical purpose.
Perhaps it's intended to be a discipline in patience and kindness,
helping our souls to grow.

If so, many people seem to be failing at the exercise.

I've long thought that the Golden Rule as applied to driving would make
a good sermon - one in need of frequent repetition. And that it should
include special mention of the "poor and downtrodden" who don't happen
to be driving Hummers.

- Frank Krygowski

I'm starting to see this thread as rather odd. Living in
Boston/Cambridge, all cyclists are fair game. You're much better off
as a J-walking pedestrian in that everyone does it. My best defense
against accident on the roads in Ma. has been the fact that I don't
wear a helmet. Maybe they think that anyone without a helmet is crazy
and vulnerable. These days on Cape Cod, I'll sometime where a racing
cap, but I think having my grey hair exposed makes it quite clear that
I'm a survivor.