Mountain Bike vs Road Bike (Speed)

terry1

Jan 2, 2005
Hi
My husband intends to cycle a 100K road race on a mountain bike. Can anyone tell us what the average percentage difference in speed is for a mountain bike versus a road bike for this type of race.

:eek: Thanks

terry1 said:
Hi
My husband intends to cycle a 100K road race on a mountain bike. Can anyone tell us what the average percentage difference in speed is for a mountain bike versus a road bike for this type of race.

Race? I suspect you're mistaken and your husband will be participating in a 100k ride, not race. If it's a real race, odds are your husband would be dropped from the pack unless he's an unusually strong for a guy on a MTB in a road race. If it's not a race, who cares - it's fun anyway.

on my normal ride of 20 miles on rather flat terain,
i go 1 mph faster on a road bike than a mountain bike.

last year i rode several 100k events on the mountain bike.
it was just fine... on hills, i was much faster going downhill than just about everyone on road bikes. in fact, i was coasting faster than many road bike folks were pedding.

cu,
larryb

for the 100k, slick tires will be much better than knobbies.

1 mph difference for me is running slicks at 80 psi on the moutain bike.

cu,
larryb

terry1 said:
Hi

I have 100psi slicks for my mtn bike and have also done both 100K & 100 mile organized rides too (although not recently). Your husband should have no problem and like the other poster said, he'll be fast in all the descents too ;)
Make sure he's using slicks !!

J.

I've found I average 2-3 mph faster on a road bike in relation to a mountain bike.

keydates said:
I've found I average 2-3 mph faster on a road bike in relation to a mountain bike.
Same results for me 2 to 3 mph (3-5km) My MTB has knobby tires. I'f I'm riding more than 16 miles (26km) I'll be on my road bike.

terry1 said:
Hi

I ride both and both have computers over the same terrain and I agree with the 3 mph average. One has knobbies at 55 psi the other slicks at 120psi.
One weighs 29 lbs the road bike 17.1 with all attachments.

Wow, my speedo must be miscalibrated for wheel diameter because I am at least 5mph fatser on a road bike....although I typically feel MUCH faster on the road bike too. Hmm.

I'm about 4-5kph faster on the road bike generally.

I particularly find the road bike can take the hills much faster.

terry1 said:
Hi

Well, I have recently stepped into my first road bike two months ago, after almost two years of a Raliegh mountain bike. During that time, I changed the rear sprocket set to a 10 toothed cog pushed by 48 teeth on the crank. My top speed was pretty good, so I thought! One day, I decided to do about 45 min on a one mile track with a bunch of yuppy trek/specialized owners. Embarrassingly, I heard a whisper saying," well, I know who not to be behind". During the warm up I coasted and often had to hit the brakes to keep from passing the lead man. After he yelled out, " Lets go" and all of them crouched down leaving my great big 215lb azz to catch all the wind, the only time I saw them is when the lapped me. Over and over again! I was running slicks and fast gear and Im in pretty good shape. That 2 to 3 mph makes a hech of a lot of difference between the two bikes over the course of a race. Now on my Ironhorse Triumph, it like night and day. Sprinting and spinning are uncomparable to the advantage of the road bike. Enjoy the road with a road bike!!! I can bare witness.

terry1 said:
Hi

Well, I have recently stepped into my first road bike two months ago, after almost two years of a Raliegh mountain bike. During that time, I changed the rear sprocket set to a 10 toothed cog pushed by 48 teeth on the crank. My top speed was pretty good, so I thought! One day, I decided to do about 45 min on a one mile track with a bunch of yuppy trek/specialized owners. Embarrassingly, I heard a whisper saying," well, I know who not to be behind". During the warm up I coasted and often had to hit the brakes to keep from passing the lead man. After he yelled out, " Lets go" and all of them crouched down leaving my great big 215lb azz to catch all the wind, the only time I saw them is when the lapped me. Over and over again! I was running slicks and fast gear and Im in pretty good shape. That 2 to 3 mph makes a hech of a lot of difference between the two bikes over the course of a race. Now on my Ironhorse Triumph, its like night and day. Sprinting and spinning are uncomparable to the advantage of the road bike. Enjoy the road with a road bike!!! I can bare witness.

terry1 said:
Hi

He will need: rigid fork, reverted stem (maybe a bit longer than current one), comfortable barends to lie on, 1' slicks, MTB crank with 48-36 rings and road cogset with smallest cog of 11 teeth. Difference in speed will be negligible.

I am glad to run across this post. I am planning a bike ride of about 50 miles for 2 days and the people (who ride street bikes) keep talking about speeds a good bit faster than what I get on my MTB

On my daily commute during mtb race season (where I am top 3) I loose about 15 mins on 12 miles with the mtb vs roadie.

dot said:
He will need: rigid fork, reverted stem (maybe a bit longer than current one), comfortable barends to lie on, 1' slicks, MTB crank with 48-36 rings and road cogset with smallest cog of 11 teeth. Difference in speed will be negligible.

If it is a race then to approach the speeds of a road bike the above would probably be necessary.

If it isn't a "race" but more of a "leisure ride" (regardless of how intensely ridden) then the slicks are probably all you need to change. I saw guys on MTB's with slicks when I did Vattern Rundan in Sweden last year (300km) and they did fine, but couldn't match the consistently higher speeds of the road bikes.

Mountain bike with road crank 52/42 and 7 speeds cassete 13-26 is can keep up with road bikes?