"Mountain biker dies from fall off cliff": Evolution in Action!

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:10:11 GMT, "Bill Sornson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

..Just zis Guy, you know? wrote {to HWNMNBM}:
..
..> Ah, so you;re saying that your gloating reports of mountain bikers
..> dying doing something completely unrelated are irrelevant as well as
..> tasteless? Thanks for the clarification!
..
..There was a tragic teenager death here in San Diego County just last week.
..He died of heat exposure and apparent dehydration /while hiking with his
..father/ out in the desert (Anza Borrego area).
..
..HOWEVER, upon further reading one learned that they were actually out
.."ATV-ing" and had a mechanical issue that caused them to start walking.
..
..What kind of person would troll, say, a HIKING newsgroup, flaunting this sad
..event in the readers' faces as evidence of the danger of their "selfish,
..destructive sport" -- especially when in this case there was much more to
..the story?!?

It's TRUE for ATVing. And mountain biking.

..Answer: a cruel, self-absorbed DELUSIONAL TOOL with no sense of propriety
..or even an iota of compassion. IOW, someone just like Do(r)ctor Michael J.
..V@ndeman, pH(ucked-up)D(aily).
..

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:34:42 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]> wrote:

..
.."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
..news:[email protected]...
..> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:48:04 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]> wrote:
..>
..> .
..> ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
..> .news:[email protected]...
..> .> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:57:02 GMT, "Mark" <[email protected]>
..> .> wrote:
..> .>
..> .> .
..> .> ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
..> .> .news:[email protected]...
..> .> .> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:42:49 -0400, "S Curtiss"
..> .> <[email protected]>
..> .> .wrote:
..> .> .>
..> .> .> .
..> .> .> ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
..> .> .> .news:[email protected]...
..> .> .> .> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:22:19 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
..> .> .> .> <[email protected]>
..> .> .> .> wrote:
..> .> .> .>
..> .> .> .> .At Sun, 10 Jul 2005 01:21:43 GMT, message
..> .> .> .> .<[email protected]> was posted by Mike
..> .> .> .> .Vandeman <[email protected]>, including some, all or none of
..> the
..> .> .> .> .following:
..> .> .> .> .
..> .> .> .> .>Animals aren't stupid enough to spend energy getting something
..> .> they
..> .> .> .> don't need;
..> .> .> .> .>mountain bikers, on the other hand, are ADDICTED to something
..> they
..> .> .don't
..> .> .> .> need.
..> .> .> .> .>It's evolution in action.
..> .> .> .> .
..> .> .> .> .Addicted, eh? You'll need evidence for that claim.
..> Specifically,
..> .> .> .> .you'll need evidence that mountain bikers are addicted to
..> outdoor
..> .> .> .> .recreation in a way that other groups - hikers, for example -
..> are
..> .> not.
..> .> .> .>
..> .> .> .> That's EASY! Addiction causes one to continue an activity in
..> spite
..> .> of
..> .> .> .> clear risk
..> .> .> .> or harm to oneself, one's loved ones, and other people. That
..> .> describes
..> .> .> .> mountain
..> .> .> .> bikers perfectly. QED
..> .> .> .Why, then, do you hike with all the inherent dangers involved?
..> Animal
..> .> .> .attack, dehydration, exhaustion, exposure, falling...?
..> .> .>
..> .> .> That's odd, I've hiked for about 54 years without experiencing even
..> ONE
..> .> of
..> .> .those
..> .> .> so-called dangers. Either you have never hiked, and are lying, or
..> ...
..> .> you
..> .> .are
..> .> .> lying.
..> .> .
..> .> .And Ive mountain biked for 12 years and never suffered an injury, nor
..> .> have
..> .> .I, or the 10 or so people I ride with at least twice a week, been
..> killed.
..> .> .
..> .> .So that makes you a liar too I guess.
..> .>
..> .> Nope. Anecdotal data aren't science, unless quantified.
..> .Then why do you disregard the nature of the question "Why, then, do you
..> hike
..> .with all the inherent dangers involved? Animal attack, dehydration,
..> .exhaustion, exposure, falling...?" and answer with anecdotal data "That's
..> .odd, I've hiked for about 54 years without experiencing even ONE of those
..> .so-called dangers"?
..> .I suppose the people who died were imagining these "so-called"
..> dangers....
..>
..> I carry water, so I don't have a danger of dehydration. DUH! Etc.
..And what happens if you slip and fall, can not move and run out of water?
..Carrying water addresses a temporary situation that can go wrong for any
..number of reasons. Its so good you carry water... How does that make a case
..against any number of possible dangers encountered in a natural area? How
..does your water chnage the deaths of others who have suffered fataly from
..these dangers?
..By your own logic, I carry water when I ride my bike. I'm safe! No danger
..here! No hazard at all... I've got water!

No, you are NEVER safe, because you are mountain biking.

..> .> .> Why do subject
..> .> .> .yourself to it? You must be addicted to this hazardous activity.
..> You
..> .> .should
..> .> .> .stop immediately.
..> .> .> .>
..> .> .> .> .On the other hand, you'll find that cats and apes, to name but
..> two,
..> .> .> .> .can be observed in the wild playing games.
..> .> .> .>
..> .> .> .> Play IS essential to animals! That's how they learn to survive!
..> But
..> .> not
..> .> .> .> adult
..> .> .> .> humans. But you already knew that, and are just pretending
..> .> ignorance,
..> .> .as
..> .> .> .> usual,
..> .> .> .> to avoid admitting that I am RIGHT.
..> .> .> .
..> .> .> .That explins a lot! No sense of humor, sense of adventure or fun
..> for
..> .> MV.
..> .> .> .Perhaps he should read "Beyond Love and Work: Why Adults Need to
..> Play"
..> .> .> .By Lenore Terr, M.D. or "Deep Play" by Diane Ackerman
..> .> .> .As a student of psychology, you should realize and appreciate the
..> .> human
..> .> .need
..> .> .> .for play, adults included. Without it, a person would become... a
..> .> .> ."Vandeman".
..> .> .> .So... We can now expect an acknowledgement that you (MV) are wrong
..> on
..> .> .your
..> .> .> .statement that adult humans do not need play, or more likely, an
..> .> attack
..> .> .on
..> .> .> .my character.
..> .> .> .
..> .> .> .>
..> .> .> .> Which suggests that
..> .> .> .> .expending energy on something you don't immediately need is
..> perhaps
..> .> .> .> .not entirely unheard of in the animal kingdom either.
..> .> .> .> .
..> .> .> .> .Guy
..> .> .> .>
..> .> .> .> ===
..> .> .> .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
..> .> .> .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
..> .> .> .> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
..> .> .> .>
..> .> .> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
..> .> .> .
..> .> .>
..> .> .> ===
..> .> .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
..> .> .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
..> .> .> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
..> .> .>
..> .> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
..> .> .
..> .>
..> .> ===
..> .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
..> .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
..> .> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
..> .>
..> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
..> .
..>
..> ===
..> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
..> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
..> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
..>
..> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
..

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:58:42 GMT, "Charlie Maxwell" <[email protected]>
wrote:

..
.."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
..news:[email protected]...
..> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:13:33 GMT, "Charlie Maxwell"
..> <[email protected]>
..> wrote:
..>
..> .
..> .
..> ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
..> .> You don't stop being a mountain biker when you get off your bike,
..> dumdum.
..> .
..> .Well Mike,
..> .Since you tried mountain biking one time, even though you got off the
..> bike,
..> .you are still a mountain biker!!!
..>
..> Nope. It must be repeated and habitual. I have NEVER been a mountain
..> biker.
..>
..
..Well Mike,
.. You must be OK with me then because I repeat it every now an then, but am
..not a Habitual rider.

That IS habitual.

I do more ATV riding these days. (but not habitually)
..;o)
..
..Cheers!
..Charlie Maxwell
..

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

I submit that on or about Sat, 16 Jul 2005 17:36:39 GMT, the person
known to the court as Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> made a
statement (<[email protected]> in Your
Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

>Did you say something?

Your capitulation on all points is duly noted.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

I submit that on or about Sat, 16 Jul 2005 17:25:39 GMT, the person
known to the court as Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> made a
statement (<[email protected]> in Your
Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

>.So, Mike, leaving aside the obvious fact that your source for the idea
>.that mountain biking is not enjoyable is the American Journal of
>.Because I Said So, were you lying then or are you lying now?

>Neither. Mountain biking ONCE doesn't make you a mountain biker, any more than
>golfing ONCE makes you a golfer. DUH! Are you really that STOOOPID?????

Well, you apparently are! Because you characterise anybody on a
mountain bike as a mountain biker! How do *you* know how often they
have ridden it before? And how many times does it need before they
become a "mountain biker" and it's suddenly right to laugh at their
death while doing something unrelated?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

> .> .> Nope. Anecdotal data aren't science, unless quantified.
> .> .Then why do you disregard the nature of the question "Why, then, do
> you
> .> hike
> .> .with all the inherent dangers involved? Animal attack, dehydration,
> .> .exhaustion, exposure, falling...?" and answer with anecdotal data
> "That's
> .> .odd, I've hiked for about 54 years without experiencing even ONE of
> those
> .> .so-called dangers"?
> .> .I suppose the people who died were imagining these "so-called"
> .> dangers....
> .>
> .> I carry water, so I don't have a danger of dehydration. DUH! Etc.
> .And what happens if you slip and fall, can not move and run out of water?
> .Carrying water addresses a temporary situation that can go wrong for any
> .number of reasons. Its so good you carry water... How does that make a
> case
> .against any number of possible dangers encountered in a natural area? How
> .does your water chnage the deaths of others who have suffered fataly from
> .these dangers?
> .By your own logic, I carry water when I ride my bike. I'm safe! No danger
> .here! No hazard at all... I've got water!
>
> No, you are NEVER safe, because you are mountain biking.

I've taken the same precaution as you have. It is your logic. I mention
animal attack, dehydration, exhaustion, exposure and falling and you respond
with "water" which addreses only one of these possible dangers to hikers. By
your logic of response, I carry water on the bike so must be safe from any
possible threat to my safety you attach to the activity of mountain biking.

> .> .> .> Why do subject
> .> .> .> .yourself to it? You must be addicted to this hazardous activity.
> .> You
> .> .> .should
> .> .> .> .stop immediately.
> .> .> .> .>

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 20:44:01 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>
wrote:

..I submit that on or about Sat, 16 Jul 2005 17:25:39 GMT, the person
..known to the court as Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> made a
..statement (<[email protected]> in Your
..Honour's bundle) to the following effect:
..
..>.So, Mike, leaving aside the obvious fact that your source for the idea
..>.that mountain biking is not enjoyable is the American Journal of
..>.Because I Said So, were you lying then or are you lying now?
..
..>Neither. Mountain biking ONCE doesn't make you a mountain biker, any more than
..>golfing ONCE makes you a golfer. DUH! Are you really that STOOOPID?????
..
..Well, you apparently are! Because you characterise anybody on a
..mountain bike as a mountain biker!

No, I don't. Your nose is growing again.

How do *you* know how often they
..have ridden it before? And how many times does it need before they
..become a "mountain biker" and it's suddenly right to laugh at their
..death while doing something unrelated?

Who's laughing, liar?

..Guy

===

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 01:25:17 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]

Nope, mountain bikers have their own threats, such as collisions & falls, which
are common for them, but very rare for hikers or equestrians.

..> .> .> .> Why do subject
..> .> .> .> .yourself to it? You must be addicted to this hazardous activity.
..> .> You
..> .> .> .should
..> .> .> .> .stop immediately.
..> .> .> .> .>
..

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 20:42:07 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>
wrote:

..I submit that on or about Sat, 16 Jul 2005 17:36:39 GMT, the person
..known to the court as Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> made a
..statement (<[email protected]> in Your
..Honour's bundle) to the following effect:
..
..>Did you say something?
..
..Your capitulation on all points is duly noted.

Your blatant LIE is duly noted.

..Guy

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:07:11 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Nope, mountain bikers have their own threats, such as collisions & falls, which
>are common for them, but very rare for hikers or equestrians.

See:
<http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2005/07/16/hiker_carried_out_after_fall/>

To quote:
Hiker carried out after fall
July 16, 2005

MOUNT WASHINGTON, N.H. --A 20-year-old hiker from Russia was rescued
after she fell on the Tuckerman Ravine trail on Mount Washington.
Fish and Game Sergeant Mike Moody said Daria Koshkina fell about 5
p.m. Friday. He said she hit her head and was badly bruised. She
called out for help. Passers-by heard her and notified rescuers.

Moody said rescuers had to use ropes to lower her about 200 feet so
they could put her on a litter and carry her out. He said they reached
the bottom of the trail about 3 a.m. Saturday.

Koshkina was taken to a Berlin hospital.

Moody said Koshkina is working this summer at the Pinkham Notch
Visitors Center.

* * *

Follow-up stories would indicate that she will be all right.

Of course, it may be that she has ridden a mountain bike at least two
times, which would make her a mountain biker taking the usual risks
for mountain bikers.

Or some idiot with limited hiking experience would claim that this
trail, hiked by thousands each year for the last several decades, is
unusual for hikers.

If you only "hike" in local parks, you would not understand real
hiking.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 01:25:17 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> .> .> .> Nope. Anecdotal data aren't science, unless quantified.
> .> .> .Then why do you disregard the nature of the question "Why, then, do
> .> you
> .> .> hike
> .> .> .with all the inherent dangers involved? Animal attack, dehydration,
> .> .> .exhaustion, exposure, falling...?" and answer with anecdotal data
> .> "That's
> .> .> .odd, I've hiked for about 54 years without experiencing even ONE of
> .> those
> .> .> .so-called dangers"?
> .> .> .I suppose the people who died were imagining these "so-called"
> .> .> dangers....
> .> .>
> .> .> I carry water, so I don't have a danger of dehydration. DUH! Etc.
> .> .And what happens if you slip and fall, can not move and run out of
> water?
> .> .Carrying water addresses a temporary situation that can go wrong for
> any
> .> .number of reasons. Its so good you carry water... How does that make
> .> case
> .> .against any number of possible dangers encountered in a natural area?
> How
> .> .does your water chnage the deaths of others who have suffered fataly
> from
> .> .these dangers?
> .> .By your own logic, I carry water when I ride my bike. I'm safe! No
> danger
> .> .here! No hazard at all... I've got water!
> .>
> .> No, you are NEVER safe, because you are mountain biking.
> .I've taken the same precaution as you have. It is your logic. I mention
> .animal attack, dehydration, exhaustion, exposure and falling and you
> respond
> .with "water" which addreses only one of these possible dangers to hikers.
> By
> .your logic of response, I carry water on the bike so must be safe from
> any
> .possible threat to my safety you attach to the activity of mountain
> biking.
>
> Nope, mountain bikers have their own threats, such as collisions & falls,
> which
> are common for them, but very rare for hikers or equestrians.

Hikers and equestrians never fall? Collisions with what?

> .> .> .> .> Why do subject
> .> .> .> .> .yourself to it? You must be addicted to this hazardous
> activity.
> .> .> You
> .> .> .> .should
> .> .> .> .> .stop immediately.
> .> .> .> .> .>
> .
>
> ===
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:07:47 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
wrote:

>.>Did you say something?
>.Your capitulation on all points is duly noted.
>Your blatant LIE is duly noted.

Your continued failure to address the points raised is duly noted and
taken as assent.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:52:58 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
wrote:

>.Well, you apparently are! Because you characterise anybody on a
>.mountain bike as a mountain biker!
>No, I don't. Your nose is growing again.

Really? Se when you see someone on a mountain bike you think to
yourself: that is not a mountain biker, unless I can prove that they
have ridden more than X times in the last month? I have to say that
is rather improbable, given your consistent failure to give anybody
who has ever so much as seen a picture of a mountain bike the benefit
of the doubt.

It also fails to fit with your repeated assertion that only the bikes
are unwelcome (but then so does your dancing on the graves of people
who die while not mountain biking, all of which just goes to show that
you are simply a bigot).

> How do *you* know how often they
>.have ridden it before? And how many times does it need before they
>.become a "mountain biker" and it's suddenly right to laugh at their
>.death while doing something unrelated?

>Who's laughing, liar?

Action!

Dancing on graves is in execrable taste, but then we all know that as
well as being a bigot you are a four-letter fellow.

But you "forgot" to answer the question: how many times does it need
before they become a "mountain biker"?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

* Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>:
> Nope, mountain bikers have their own threats, such as collisions & falls, which
> are common for them, but very rare for hikers or equestrians.

Mikey you slay me man you really do. Falling is rare for equestrians?
Never let it be said that you let reality cloud your opinion, which by
the way is all it is. Your opinion, not science, and it doesnt matter
how many times you shout it or how loud you shout it it's still only
your opinion.

Jason

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:54:49 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

..On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:52:58 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
..wrote:
..
[...]

Yawn.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 06:09:31 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Yawn.

Your capitulation by default on all points is duly recorded.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:58:42 GMT, "Charlie Maxwell"
> <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> .
> ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> .news:[email protected]...
> .> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:13:33 GMT, "Charlie Maxwell"
> .> <[email protected]>
> .> wrote:
> .>
> .> .
> .> .
> .> ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> .> .> You don't stop being a mountain biker when you get off your bike,
> .> dumdum.
> .> .
> .> .Well Mike,
> .> .Since you tried mountain biking one time, even though you got off the
> .> bike,
> .> .you are still a mountain biker!!!
> .>
> .> Nope. It must be repeated and habitual. I have NEVER been a mountain
> .> biker.
> .>
> .
> .Well Mike,
> . You must be OK with me then because I repeat it every now an then, but
> am
> .not a Habitual rider.
>
> That IS habitual.

No Mike, It is not a habit. Reading your endless drivel for a laugh however
is. (ROTFLMAO)

CHeers Dude.
Charlie Maxwell

PS: The Deer are much safer with me as a Mountain biker. I only hunt when
HIKING. MMMM yummy. Mule deer!.

http:\\www.muledeer.org

> I do more ATV riding these days. (but not habitually)
> .;o)
> .
> .Cheers!
> .Charlie Maxwell
> .
>
> ===
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:34:42 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> No, you are NEVER safe, because you are mountain biking.

No, YOU are NEVER safe, because you are an IDIOT. DUH!

CM

> ===
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 01:25:17 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> Nope, mountain bikers have their own threats, such as collisions & falls,
> which
> are common for them, but very rare for hikers or equestrians.

Didn't Superman get thrown from a horse?? (Sorry to stoop to Mikey's level)
When was the last time a mountain biker had his bike deny him a jump or get
spooked by a Vandeman?

CHeerZ!
CM