Mountain Lion kills a biker out on trail

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Lindsay, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    Uh, to keep it on topic, I heard they were racing.
    --------------

    Mountain Lion On Loose After Fatal Attack Woman Is Also Attacked

    POSTED: 6:05 PM PST January 8, 2004 UPDATED: 6:40 PM PST January 8, 2004

    ORANGE COUNTY, Calif. -- One mountain biker is dead and another critically injured after two attacks
    by the same mountain lion.

    On Thursday, four mountain bikers on a trail near Lake Forest in southern Orange County came across
    an abandoned mountain bike.

    The group became alarmed and began to search for the missing person. While they were walking down a
    hill, a female biker was attacked by a mountain lion on her face and neck.

    Shortly afterward, some of the searchers were able to locate the missing bicyclist, who had been
    mauled to death.

    The woman who was attacked is in critical condition at a local hospital.

    As night fell, park rangers were trying to flush out the mountain lion.

    Officials said that they initially were trying to capture the animal, but because it keeps it is
    "very, very aggressive," they are now considering it for termination.

    The animal was described as a 150-pound mountain lion.

    Tags:

  2. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Uh, to keep it on topic, I heard they were racing.
    > --------------
    >
    > Mountain Lion On Loose After Fatal Attack Woman Is Also Attacked
    >
    > POSTED: 6:05 PM PST January 8, 2004 UPDATED: 6:40 PM PST January 8, 2004
    >
    > ORANGE COUNTY, Calif. -- One mountain biker is dead and another critically injured after two
    > attacks by the same mountain lion.
    >
    > On Thursday, four mountain bikers on a trail near Lake Forest in southern Orange County came
    > across an abandoned mountain bike.
    >
    > The group became alarmed and began to search for the missing person. While they were walking down
    > a hill, a female biker was attacked by a mountain lion on her face and neck.
    >
    > Shortly afterward, some of the searchers were able to locate the missing bicyclist, who had been
    > mauled to death.
    >
    > The woman who was attacked is in critical condition at a local hospital.
    >
    > As night fell, park rangers were trying to flush out the mountain lion.
    >
    > Officials said that they initially were trying to capture the animal, but because it keeps it is
    > "very, very aggressive," they are now considering it for termination.
    >
    > The animal was described as a 150-pound mountain lion.

    My cousin saw a mountain lion in late October on her Iowa farm. It wa about a half mile away. In the
    last 3 years there has been 3 mountain lions shot and killed in Iowa. They say they are migrating
    there because of all the deer. We have seen several on Mountain bike rides here in the Sierra's and
    once we had a standoff with one. They also frequent the trails of one of my favorite rides. A girl
    was killed jogging north of here near highway 49 years ago. Great, now I need to put that in the
    back of my mind again.

    B-

  3. Arnold S.

    Arnold S. Guest

    "Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > Uh, to keep it on topic, I heard they were racing.
    > > --------------
    > >
    > > Mountain Lion On Loose After Fatal Attack Woman Is Also Attacked
    > >
    > > POSTED: 6:05 PM PST January 8, 2004 UPDATED: 6:40 PM PST January 8, 2004
    > >
    > > ORANGE COUNTY, Calif. -- One mountain biker is dead and another critically injured after two
    > > attacks by the same mountain lion.
    > >
    > > On Thursday, four mountain bikers on a trail near Lake Forest in southern Orange County came
    > > across an abandoned mountain bike.
    > >
    > > The group became alarmed and began to search for the missing person. While they were walking
    > > down a hill, a female biker was attacked by a mountain lion on her face and neck.
    > >
    > > Shortly afterward, some of the searchers were able to locate the missing bicyclist, who had been
    > > mauled to death.
    > >
    > > The woman who was attacked is in critical condition at a local hospital.
    > >
    > > As night fell, park rangers were trying to flush out the mountain lion.
    > >
    > > Officials said that they initially were trying to capture the animal, but because it keeps it is
    > > "very, very aggressive," they are now considering it for termination.
    > >
    > > The animal was described as a 150-pound mountain lion.

    Let's set it straight...........it was only around 100 lbs. got to keep the facts straight...!!!

    > My cousin saw a mountain lion in late October on her Iowa farm. It wa
    about
    > a half mile away. In the last 3 years there has been 3 mountain lions
    shot
    > and killed in Iowa. They say they are migrating there because of all the deer. We have seen
    > several on Mountain bike rides here in the Sierra's and once we had a standoff with one. They also
    > frequent the trails of one of
    my
    > favorite rides. A girl was killed jogging north of here near highway 49 years ago. Great, now I
    > need to put that in the back of my mind again.
    >
    > B-

  4. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Sierraman <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > My cousin saw a mountain lion in late October on her Iowa farm. It wa about a half mile away. In
    > the last 3 years there has been 3 mountain lions shot and killed in Iowa. They say they are
    > migrating there because of all the deer. We have seen several on Mountain bike rides here in the
    > Sierra's and once we had a standoff with one. They also frequent the trails of one of my favorite
    > rides. A girl was killed jogging north of here near highway 49 years ago.

    Keep in mind that virtually all of the attacks around here (NorCal) are from behind, while being
    chased. It would probably help to wear a flashing rear tailight so the mountain lion gets the idea
    you're not like a deer running away.

    -WG

  5. "Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > We have seen several on Mountain bike rides here in the Sierra's and once we had a standoff with
    > one. They also frequent the trails of one of my favorite rides.

    I knew cats were pretty agile, but I've never heard of any riding MBTs ;)

  6. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 03:50:05 GMT, Boyd Speerschneider
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> We have seen several on Mountain bike rides here in the Sierra's and once we had a standoff with
    >> one. They also frequent the trails of one of my favorite rides.
    >
    >I knew cats were pretty agile, but I've never heard of any riding MBTs ;)

    But they are not really into technology. They all seem to ride hardtails.

  7. Walter

    Walter Guest

    Mountain lion shot in southern Iowa

    CHARITON (AP) --- A young male mountain lion was shot in Wayne County in southern Iowa over the
    weekend, the Department of Natural Resources reported Tuesday.

    "Someone saw the lion eating on a deer carcass and called a friend," said Todd Gosselink, DNR
    wildlife biologist. "The friends showed up with their coon hounds and flushed the cat from a
    culvert, chased it for about three-quarters of a mile before it climbed a large cottonwood tree."

    That was when Jason Klaiber of Lineville shot it with his 30-06 rifle.

    The lion was found south of Confidence on the Chariton River Sunday.

    The lion was about 6 .5 feet long and all indications are it was wild.

    "It was a good sized male," Gosselink said. "I estimate it weighed 80 to 100 pounds and was probably
    1.5 to 2 years old," Gosselink said.

    That makes the third young male lion killed in Iowa.

    Ron Andrews, the state furbearer biologist for the DNR, said there must be a general increase in the
    movements of these animals into the state, but how many, he can't say. There have been recent
    reports of a lion killed on the interstate north of Kansas City, Mo., one was captured in the Omaha,
    Neb., area and one was killed near Ireton in northwest Iowa.

    The DNR has six apparently good, solid mountain lion tracks in the state, Andrews said. The tracks
    were found in Webster County, near Mt. Ayr, near Cherokee, Lyon County, Harrison County and
    Decatur County.

    "Killing mountain lions is currently not illegal, but we certainly don't want to encourage the
    indiscriminate killing of these animals," Andrews said.

    http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2004/01/07/news/breaking_news/3028c7ce067eb14186256e1400-
    421f6c.txt

  8. Steve

    Steve Guest

    http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/011204ap_nw_mountain_lion.html

    Nicholls threw her own bike at the mountain lion, grabbed Hjelle's legs and began a tug-of-war with
    the animal, kicking and screaming as the lion moved from her friend's helmet to her face and neck.
    The mountain lion eventually released its grip after Nichols got help from two other trail riders,
    men who were yelling and throwing rocks at the mountain lion.

    I heard a report on the national news that said that the fact she was wearing a helmet gave her the
    time needed to survive the attack. The helmet took the brunt of the initial attack........

  9. Gwhite

    Gwhite Guest

    Walter wrote:

    > "Killing mountain lions is currently not illegal, but we certainly don't want to encourage the
    > indiscriminate killing of these animals," Andrews said.

    It is illegal in California.

  10. Steve <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BC2A1864.8CCDB%[email protected]>...
    > http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/011204ap_nw_mountain_lion.html
    >

    > Nicholls threw her own bike at the mountain lion, grabbed Hjelle's legs and began a tug-of-war
    > with the animal, kicking and screaming as the lion moved from her friend's helmet to her face and
    > neck. The mountain lion eventually released its grip after Nichols got help from two other trail
    > riders, men who were yelling and throwing rocks at the mountain lion.
    >

    > I heard a report on the national news that said that the fact she was wearing a helmet gave her
    > the time needed to survive the attack. The helmet took the brunt of the initial attack........

    Beware... Helmet troll lurking somewhere in this post...

    I'd say that the helmet didn't help her survive, the guys throwing rocks, and her friend holding
    onto her probably did more.

    Tom

  11. radracer

    radracer New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2003
    I told him to not wear his meat helmet. but he said his steak helmet keeps his head cool.

  12. Nobodyman

    Nobodyman Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 06:53:21 GMT, radracer
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I told him to not wear his meat helmet. but he said his steak helmet keeps his head cool.

    I see a new Biathlon event coming. Instead of Skiing/Shooting, we'll have mountain biking/shooting
    mountain lions.

  13. NobodyMan wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 06:53:21 GMT, radracer <usenet-foru[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>I told him to not wear his meat helmet. but he said his steak helmet keeps his head cool.
    >

    > I see a new Biathlon event coming. Instead of Skiing/Shooting, we'll have mountain biking/shooting
    > mountain lions.

    Biathlon is a sport for cissies. In the variant where you get time penalties for missed shots, my
    strategy if I was in 3rd place would be to shoot the two guys ahead of me.