mounting Polar bike mount on aero bars

Bryan Woodruff

Guest
I have my Polar 625x mounted sideways on my aero bars which is a bit
goofy but there is no other way to mount this. I tried Nob XL but the
mounting area is too small for the Polar watch mount.

I've been dealing with reading the watch sideways -- has anyone found a
solution for this type of setup?

Bryan Woodruff wrote:
> I have my Polar 625x mounted sideways on my aero bars which is a bit
> goofy but there is no other way to mount this. I tried Nob XL but

the
> mounting area is too small for the Polar watch mount.
>
> I've been dealing with reading the watch sideways -- has anyone found

> solution for this type of setup?

I wasn't familiar with Nob XL, but you are right; it seems a bit narrow
for a watch band.

Assuming your aerobar has a pair of parallel tubes running
perpendicular to your handelbar...

I manufactured my own, based upon some designs I have seen. Use a
piece of white PVC, like the pipe you see in irrigation systems and
1970's pool/patio furniture (but narrower).

Carve a crescent out of each end of the tube so that it makes a nice
contact/interface with the aerobar. Like this...

. .
.X X.
. .

If you can get access to a Dremel, you can finish the carved edges
nicely.

The "X" indicates a place for a couple of drilled holes. Put a plastic
tie-wrap through each end to secure it to the aerobar.

If the diameter is too small, slip some pipe insulation (foam) over it
- - improvise.

This works for me and I imagine it should also work for anyone else who
gets as cheap and bored as I do... ; )

rsquared

Bryan Woodruff wrote:

> I have my Polar 625x mounted sideways on my aero bars which is a bit
> goofy but there is no other way to mount this. I tried Nob XL but the
> mounting area is too small for the Polar watch mount.

Hi, have you tried flipping the Nob to the outside of the areo bars?

ie, instead of being between the aerobars,

| |
| |
| -|
| |

Try: flipping the Nob to the outside of the areo bars

| |
| |
| |--
| |

> I've been dealing with reading the watch sideways -- has anyone found a
> solution for this type of setup?

The nob worked well for me.

You can also put the Nob further down near the headset somewhere.
Have you tried taking the Nob and bike to your local bike store? They
will have many more ideas for you to try and can set it up for you with
some of their interesting tools.

Bryan Woodruff wrote:

> I tried Nob XL but the
> mounting area is too small for the Polar watch mount.

Sorry, I read your question wrong.
I do not have problems with my polar watch mount being too large for the
Nob.

Thanks for the tips -- I had experimented and wasn't able to get the
polar mount to fit on the XL size of the nob (the nob itself was too
small).

A friend at work pointed me to this solution (2"):
http://www.trisports.com/computermount.html

The Nob XL is 30mm (1.2"), so I think this one will work.

"Triathlete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]:

> Bryan Woodruff wrote:
>

> > I have my Polar 625x mounted sideways on my aero bars which is a bit
> > goofy but there is no other way to mount this. I tried Nob XL but the
> > mounting area is too small for the Polar watch mount.

> Hi, have you tried flipping the Nob to the outside of the areo bars?
>
> ie, instead of being between the aerobars,
>
> | |
> | |
> | -|
> | |

> Try: flipping the Nob to the outside of the areo bars
>
> | |
> | |
> | |--
> | |

> > I've been dealing with reading the watch sideways -- has anyone found a
> > solution for this type of setup?

> The nob worked well for me.
>
> You can also put the Nob further down near the headset somewhere.
> Have you tried taking the Nob and bike to your local bike store? They
> will have many more ideas for you to try and can set it up for you with
> some of their interesting tools.

You are welcome. I am happy to hear you found something that will work
for you.