MS 150 - A New Appreciation for Quality Equipment

Originally posted by Ted B
And yours truly on Day 2...

Incidentally, I was one of only two souls riding tubulars I saw amidst the thousands. He was riding Zipp 404s (so why was I doing all the pulling??).

Apparently... they thought your big head was good for cover.

Who cares what people ride. Be glad theres actually people there riding. I understand your concern for other people but your original post just sounded like... hey look at me and what i have. Sorry... that's just how i saw it.

i do admire your generosity though.

Originally posted by the anti snob
i do admire your generosity though.

Thanks, but I don't generally acknowledge admiration from clowns who hide behind phony profiles. Better luck next time! :D

take that as a compliment that you got me to sign up for this forum after months of just snooping around in here.

my username is as every bit as intentional as i wanted to make it. i am sick of elitist i come across while riding who scoff and size up my equipment, not just them mind you, but people at bike shops who snub you at the door because you did not walk in with a $3000 bike. i could not care less with what they buy with their money. im happy for them that they like what they ride, but i dislike people who disrespect me because of what i ride and wear. those people give this sport a bad name.

Nice helmet buddy. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Wanna ride a fancy bike with a matching kit? then do yourself a favour and lose the POS lid and invest in a modern bucket.

Nice helmet buddy. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Wanna ride a fancy bike with a matching kit? then do yourself a fovour and lose the POS lid and invest in a modern bucket.

...but i dislike people who disrespect me because of what i ride and wear. those people give this sport a bad name.

I'm not one of them.

While my observations were indeed accurate, they were intended to be jocular. As far as this assertion of 'elitism', I really don't care if one rides a POS little girl's bike from K-Mart. If it fits correctly and the tires are in good shape and properly pressurized, then that would have constituted a relatively good start considering some of the horrors I witnessed. It is this which provided some cautious humor for my writeup (although it caused serious issues for some riders), and is why I purposely posted it in the Equipment section.

Attention to proper fit and maintenance does not constitute 'elitism'.

Originally posted by ewitz
... lose the POS lid and invest in a modern bucket.

FYI: The 'lid' IS a moden 'bucket' (2003 Limar), and is mostly obscured in the photo. Enough said.

I'm not one of them.

While my observations were indeed accurate, they were intended to be jocular. As far as this assertion of 'elitism', I really don't care if one rides a POS little girl's bike from K-Mart. If it fits correctly and the tires are in good shape and properly pressurized, then that would have constituted a relatively good start considering some of the horrors I witnessed. It is this which provided some cautious humor for my writeup (although it caused serious issues for some riders), and is why I purposely posted it in the Equipment section.

Attention to proper fit and maintenance does not constitute 'elitism'.

i wasn't referring to you in particular... as you just look like you take your sport very seriously. :p

i was just explaining why i chose my username. :)

... as you just look like you take your sport very seriously. :p

I do, but perhaps not as seriously as a rider with a C50, Lightweight® wheels, and a diamond encrusted Rolex President, right? :p

Now I do admit that I do have a minor thing for trying to match colors if I can do so conveniently, and unfortunately, not much goes with celeste blue (except for black, and even more celeste blue). Ah well!

I was going to avoid this thread, but I never have had enough self-control.

First of all, there were some things to behold, such as a group of 'skateresque' men attempting to do it all on rollerblades, one guy on a unicycle, and a guy on one of these really old time bikes, you know with the huge front wheel and tiny rear wheel. I couldn't help but become concerned about them all as I descended into one long steep section where I reached some 41+mph.

That's the BP MS150, man. Piles and piles of people come out to raise money to fight MS. Most are not avid cyclists, most are just trying to help a good cause. I imagine rollerblades, unicycles, and high-wheelers raise even more money than most cyclists if only because of the added attention their self-imposed challenge brings.

It's a short tour, not a race.

Now, maybe I'm jaded because I've got a top pro-level setup, but I wouldn't be setting off to bike such a long distance with some of the equipment I saw any more than I would attempt to sail a long distance in a Haitian refugee boat.

Eh, even a k-mart gas-pipe bike can go 150mi. I wouldn't want to do it, but it can. It's the motor, not the bike, that makes it possible.

I saw load after load of 'junque', much if it adorned and amended with all sorts of add-on trinkets and gadgets, most of it being cumbersome and inefficient, as well as heavy.

Think of it as resistance training for future racers. Or just think of it as people having fun while on a bike. That's what the MS150 is all about, right? Raising money while having fun on a two-day tour? And if more people earn a respect for cycling out of the experience, that's another benefit, right?

Compound all of this rolling salvage with the incredibly poor, inefficient fitting jobs, and no doubt the chiropractors and orthopaedists of Texas will be enjoying great windfalls.

Inexcusable and unfortunately very true. And yes, I bet the doctors are raking it in. A coworker's urologist mentioned that since the MS150, he's been handing out 'rigidity assistance' medication and treating numbness problems. All completely preventable with a proper riding position and a proper fit, and sometimes a saddle change.

While I hit the steep sections on the fly, downshifting to my 39X23 and diverting my attention from the difficulty of the effort by imagining myself on the slopes of Alpe D'Huez, I couldn't help but notice the droves of would be riders, trudging along on foot as they towed their 35lb scrap metal machines over each hill, catching their breath on the crests and making excuses to kill time by making a cell phone call.

Give them a break, man. They're not racer wannabes, they're just average joes out on a fundraiser tour. Why should they invest a thousand dollars or more into equipment for a single annual ride that is intended to raise less money than they'd spend on the bike?

My commuter is probably 35lb all told, and it's ready to do the MS150. I used it on most of the early training rides, and it wasn't a problem at all. Again, it's the motor that matters.

While I was rejoicing in the benefit of my pricey lightweight wheelset (Hyperons) I was having to shout "On Your Right!" with every breath (which undoubtedly adds to one's aerobic conditioning - try it sometime), while occasionally hearing a half-hearted plea for a 'tow rope' or something similar from a distressed rider.

I think folks should spend their money wherever it makes them feel best. If you prefer spending money on bike equipment rather than donating to the MS Society, that's great. If you'd rather zip past everyone instead of enjoying the fellowship with other riders, it's your loss.

It is because of such experiences that I say to all of thee who make great sacrifices for the sake of investing in quality hardware to enhance his own cycling experience as well as indirectly enhancing the same for all of those around him...

God Bless You!! [/B]

I know a guy, a computer storage salesman, who actually once said to me 'Hey! Look at my watch! It cost me $3500! It's a Rolex! Look at my watch!' It keeps time about the same as my watch, a $90 automatic LL Bean field watch that I've had since 1991. However, I look silly going around saying 'Look at my watch!' as he does.

Malcontent

Originally posted by Malcontent
I was going to avoid this thread, but I never have had enough self-control.

The writeup was intended to be humorous. You missed it, that's all.

Rollerbladers and other 'daredevils' do generate amusement and amazement. It's entertaining regardless of what they achieved or didn't achieve in donations.

No one implied that it was a race. The fact that it's a tour doesn't condemn everyone to riding it at 12mph, and not everyone wants to do so. Riding tours at a faster pace does not ensure a 'loss of fellowship'. It simply generates fellowship with others who enjoy a different pace of riding.

If you prefer spending money on bike equipment rather than donating to the MS Society, that's great.

What I invest in my personal fitness is immaterial considering that I personally donated, obtained donations, and took the time to recruit several others in doing the same, resulting in the generation of several thousand dollars for MS - twice per year (two different events). I do the same for several other charitable organizations as well. You can do the math.

Originally posted by fushman
are we reading the same write up? i thought he was mostly saying how he hates people who arent into cycling and only support the cause against ms. not even that well written stylisticlly

I thought it was great - I have had many similar experiences with charity rides, so I can see where he is coming from. And I certainly did not feel the "hate" vibes. Far from it - more tongue in cheek, I suspect.

And one should be very careful about commenting on another person's style/grammar. If you do this you are open yourself for lack of attention to those very same details (ie lack of capital letters, no apostrophes, and spelling mistakes).

And I would be very careful about attributing ideas and thoughts to another person from a few simple words. You can often build a fictional edifice of your own making from what you imagined the writer was talking about. My first wife did this all the time, and it used to drive me up the wall.

Actually - I am still awed by the 13,000 riders. The most I have ever ridden with is 3,000 (not bad for Australia) - and there I was passing people for the whole ride. I actually quite liked it. And I too was amazed at the very poor quality of some of the equipment. On one of our club rides we actually had a person show up on some old clunker that you had to see to believe. After a few kilometers we had to stop to see why she was having so much trouble. It turned out the chain was that rusted up several links would not bend at all, so it was jumping over the cogs. We spent some time with her trying to lubricate the offending links so that they would actually work. We all had a great laugh over that one.

are we reading the same write up? i thought he was mostly saying how he hates people who arent into cycling and only support the cause against ms. not even that well written stylisticlly

I concur with fushman. recently rode the ms150 in Dallas & loved the varied cast of characters & everyone's exuberance to help
raise money for a worthy cause despite how much or how little
cycle gear they possessed.

Enclosed picture of yours truly finishing the first day amidst rather inclimate conditions.

Originally posted by taterbug
I concur with fushman. recently rode the ms150 in Dallas & loved the varied cast of characters & everyone's exuberance to help
raise money for a worthy cause despite how much or how little
cycle gear they possessed.

Enclosed picture of yours truly finishing the first day amidst rather inclimate conditions.

next time you should consider bringing a water bottle even if you dont have a carbon water bottle holder

seriously tho, was it hotter than hell for the ride, i can only imagine

next time you should consider bringing a water bottle even if you dont have a carbon water bottle holder

seriously tho, was it hotter than hell for the ride, i can only imagine

Actually, no, the first day of the dallas ride was 45 degrees & raining & we were going north into a 25 to 35 mph headwind all day. Sunday was nice though. 65 degrees - sunshine & light winds. Typical Texas weekend weather , horrendous one day & awesome the next.

I've ridden the MS 150 7 times now. However, this year I rode it, and all the preceding "official" rides leading up to it as an EMS volunteer.

There were approximately 12800 riders this year-the most ever. It was the 20th anniversary ride so it was packed. That spells a lot of riders who were "newbies." There was some chaos, no doubt.

For those of you who get on the roads early and buck the system you are only causing problems for yourself and others. We were briefed on how the police are becoming reluctant to provide protection because all these riders get out ahead of the event and occupy the course on their own. ( Now you know why on day 2 they corral anyone they can find trying to get on the road early and send them to the back-way to the back) They are wearing rider numbers and create liability issues, local community members/home owners unrest etc. There is no police nor medical support for those early birds. Its not safe and you should consider not doing the ride if you cant start with every one else.

I was standing behind Mayor White with the BP team at 0700 as the ride started-the cannon went off. By the time we got to rest stop 1 there were easily 1000 plus riders out on the course. I was shocked to see how many more there were by rest stop 2 and we hadnt even come to the merger yet. At the merger and just past it was where I started to have to stop for injured riders. The road was simply too crowded.

On day 2 I again took off in the front and kept my place there until the park in Bastrop. Shouldnt have been too many up ahead of us but alas. By the time I was going through the park there were a LOT of people standing on the sides of the road who had flatted. It was discovered later that on day 2 some one had gone through the park in Bastrop-think streets of SanFrancisco/Seattle in the woods - and dropped tacking nails. Over 200 flats in the park alone were counted. Some serious injuries as well. Luckily none occurred prior to any support being available. By the way, no matter what your gear you are going down in that situation!

Anyway, just thought I would chime in on the issue of leaving early although not what this thread was initially about.

Originally posted by soonercyclist93
There were approximately 12800 riders this year-the most ever. It was the 20th anniversary ride so it was packed. That spells a lot of riders who were "newbies." There was some chaos, no doubt...By the time we got to rest stop 1 there were easily 1000 plus riders out on the course. I was shocked to see how many more there were by rest stop 2 and we hadnt even come to the merger yet. At the merger and just past it was where I started to have to stop for injured riders. The road was simply too crowded.

This was a big reason for making my rather tongue-in-cheek writeup, and I've forwarded constructive criticism to the organizers.

There were entirely too many riders (many newbies) on the course and elsewhere, many of whom were poorly equipped mechanically and/or physically to make the long ride. The crowded conditions made avoiding obstacles such as dropped water bottles (and there were many) a real hazard, and I witnessed several crashes that resulted from this. The resulting situation was downright unsafe at times. I saw two crashes that resulted from colliding riders, both of which I was later informed resulted in broken bones.

Entirely too many people opted for the narrow, challenging hilly route on Day 2, and many were not physically able or properly equipped to handle the difficulty of the course. The crowded conditions made this a real hazard area. Many of them stopped to walk their bikes over the hills, which created considerable congestion for those who were able to make the climbs. The 'carpet tack' incident only exacerbated the problem, and as per my recollection, the tacks were apparently dropped just before the rest area mid-way through the park. Incidentally, I picked up two of said tacks, and I cannot repeat what thoughts I had for the gutless turd who could do such a thing. Many people just decided to hang it up there, and the SAG wagons coming out of the park were full...not to mention long lines at the LBS fix-it stands.

The ride was nevertheless an interesting experience, and while I may donate next year, the congestion has me very cautious about making the ride.

You may consider one of the other MS rides, like the Ride to the Coast in the fall, or something similar. I imagine that they are a lot less congested, but I couldn't say for sure. I guess I'll know in the fall!

Dude...the idea here is fun...I used to do the Ny century on a mutt an then ride home. Just cause you can afford the stuff and look kool, don't down those who want to make the effort and mabey earn a few bragging rights. So mabey it took ten hours(or more) to finish....not everybody has the knowledge, but probably will next time after crawling home and licking their wounds.If it don't kill ya it just makes you stronger....