MSR love-fest

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> From http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/mar06/mar20news
> Pippo Pozzato:
> "The most beautiful thing about it was that Boonen hugged me with his
> eyes wet, while three other teammates jubilated with me"
>
> I really like Boonen a lot.
>
> JT
>
> ****************************
> Remove "remove" to reply
> Visit http://www.jt10000.com
> ****************************

Yep Boonen is definitely looking like a real class act. Glad he got
away from the Posties and into what is a better environment for him to
blossom.
Bill c

John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> writes:

> From http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/mar06/mar20news
> Pippo Pozzato:
> "The most beautiful thing about it was that Boonen hugged me with his
> eyes wet, while three other teammates jubilated with me"

Yes, Boonen is a class act and we might, hopefully, have a replacement
for the Cippos, Abdujaparov

But the overall strategy, having regard to the fact that MSR is the
Queen of the Italian classics, was not to have Boonen win, but to put
an Italian rider over the line first which Quickstep did with a young
24 year old 7th year pro who had, with the exception of a short spell
at Fassa after the Quickstep-Mapei demise, been a Quickstep rider all
of his pro career.

Even Cippo was ecstatic, and Petacchi too - do not mistake those pix of
the finish where Petacchi appeared to be about to raise his hands in a
victory salute as a big faux pas on Petacchi's part. He was actually
clapping too

Pozzato:
http://www.gazzetta.it/dyn/dyn/gazz...oLoad=CiclismoSchedaCiclista&idAnagrafica=683

--
Le Vent à Dos, Davey Crockett - Actively Opposing Thought Crime
Libérez Ingrid Betancourt, Clara Rojas et les autres

Davey Crockett wrote:
> John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> From http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/mar06/mar20news
>> Pippo Pozzato:
>> "The most beautiful thing about it was that Boonen hugged me with his
>> eyes wet, while three other teammates jubilated with me"
>>

> Yes, Boonen is a class act and we might, hopefully, have a replacement
> for the Cippos, Abdujaparov
>
> But the overall strategy, having regard to the fact that MSR is the
> Queen of the Italian classics, was not to have Boonen win, but to put
> an Italian rider over the line first which Quickstep did with a young
> 24 year old 7th year pro who had, with the exception of a short spell
> at Fassa after the Quickstep-Mapei demise, been a Quickstep rider all
> of his pro career.
>
> Even Cippo was ecstatic, and Petacchi too - do not mistake those pix of
> the finish where Petacchi appeared to be about to raise his hands in a
> victory salute as a big faux pas on Petacchi's part. He was actually
> clapping too

And that is where not just Le Tour is a circus but pro cycling in general.
May not the best man win but the most appropriate for the market and the
sport.
Why bother racing?

.... actually one could argue The Tour is less of a circus since it does
appear the best man actually wins not the most appropriate.