mtb brake & rear derailleur questions

anonymous

Guest
my bike is at least 10 years old, and i need to
upgrade my brakes and rear derailleur.
my old components are xt cantilever brakes and
xt 8-speed shifters/derailleur.

so my questions are:

can i use my exitsting brake levers (non v-type)
with v-brakes? will they work, or must i upgrade
the brake levers too?

can the current 9 speed derailleurs
(xt rdm750 / rdm760) compatible with 8-speed
shifters or do i need to specifically get
a 8 speed derailleur.

thanks in advance

"anonymous" <anonymous@> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> my bike is at least 10 years old, and i need to
> upgrade my brakes and rear derailleur.
> my old components are xt cantilever brakes and
> xt 8-speed shifters/derailleur.
>
> so my questions are:
>
> can i use my exitsting brake levers (non v-type)
> with v-brakes? will they work, or must i upgrade
> the brake levers too?

Yes, you must upgrade, most canti levers won't work well with V brakes. The
mechanical advantage of canti levers is higher.

> can the current 9 speed derailleurs
> (xt rdm750 / rdm760) compatible with 8-speed
> shifters or do i need to specifically get
> a 8 speed derailleur.

No, 8 & 9 speed derailers are identical for all purposes.