MTB disc brake question

esCarbonie

Jun 27, 2005
just got a new Woodstock 505, with Avid Ball Bearing Five brakes.

upon putting it together the calipers needed to be adjusted to stop the discs from rubbing horribly.

while I was able to adjust them to a point where rubbing was minimal and only in a small spot on the disc, I have not been able to eliminate rubbing altogether. with such a small amount of clearance for the rotor, it seems nearly impossible to avoid at least some rubbing.

will the rubbing subside as I break the bike in? I have only taken it on one extended ride, and the rubbing isnt necessarily noticeable while riding.

should I suck it up and take it to my LBS which would take 3 days and cost $20+ ???

tia:)

** EDIT ** damn, sorry wrong forum.. can a mod please move this to MTB Equipment section??

thanks, sorry fellas

If the rubbing is only on a patch of the rotor (i.e. it rubs at a certain point in the wheels rotation) then the disc is bent or not mounted properly. After the disc is mounted properly the caliper is aligned over it with spacers.

Yep, sounds like the disc is out of alignment, or just plain warped. You might flip the bike over, spin the front wheel and observe where the disc is close to the caliper - do you see any side to side movement? Try removing and reinstalling the disc on the wheel.

I put an Avid cable disc on the front of my old Trek Y22. No problem, it bolted right on. Worked perfectly after a bit of adjustment. Works perfectly now, even if it does squeal a bit.

Sure is nice for those muddy descents - with the old v brakes, I could hear (and feel) the front rim being shredded.