mtb clubs around PDX?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Determined, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. Determined

    Determined Guest

    I live in Portland, OR. Just bought my first mt bike and would like to get involved in a group, to
    glean the knowledge of others and participate in group rides. Anyone from around here that could
    point me in the right direction?

    determined

    Tags:

  2. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > I live in Portland, OR. Just bought my first mt bike and would like to get involved in a group, to
    > glean the knowledge of others and participate in group rides. Anyone from around here that could
    > point me in the right direction?
    >
    > determined

    not really from around there, but if nobody here speaks up, check with some of the local bike shops
    around. some of them even have a bike group/team they sponsor (including my own LBS apparently).

    And for the other newbies lurking around this group, if you are in the Portland, OR area and want a
    riding buddy, this is your chance (for the non-newbies as well).

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

  3. determined wrote:
    > I live in Portland, OR. Just bought my first mt bike and would like to get involved in a group, to
    > glean the knowledge of others and participate in group rides. Anyone from around here that could
    > point me in the right direction?
    >
    > determined

    'the bike gallery' has group rides regularly. also check the web for the mountain peddlers club ( or
    BG may have the info you need)

  4. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:04:35 GMT, determined wrote:
    > I live in Portland, OR. Just bought my first mt bike and would like to get involved in a group, to
    > glean the knowledge of others and participate in group rides. Anyone from around here that could
    > point me in the right direction?

    The local MTB club is: http://www.pumpclub.org/

    I rode with them when I first moved here quite a few years ago. They were quite nice to newbies back
    then; probably still are!

  5. Determined

    Determined Guest

    "James Connell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > determined wrote:
    > > I live in Portland, OR. Just bought my first mt bike and would like to
    get
    > > involved in a group, to glean the knowledge of others and participate in group rides. Anyone
    > > from around here that could point me in the right direction?
    > >
    > > determined
    > >

    > 'the bike gallery' has group rides regularly. also check the web for the mountain peddlers club (
    > or BG may have the info you need)

    Kewl! I just bought my first bike there last night, and did see that they offer group
    rides... thanx.

    det

  6. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "determined" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "James Connell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > determined wrote:
    > > > I live in Portland, OR. Just bought my first mt bike and would like
    > get
    > > > involved in a group, to glean the knowledge of others and participate
    in
    > > > group rides. Anyone from around here that could point me in the right direction?
    > > >
    > > > determined
    > > >

    > > 'the bike gallery' has group rides regularly. also check the web for the mountain peddlers club
    > > ( or BG may have the info you need)
    >
    > Kewl! I just bought my first bike there last night, and did see that they offer group
    > rides... thanx.

    So whatcha get?!? No fair asking for recommendations, and then buying something without spilling
    your guts! :)

    Bill "welcome to the sport (and hold on to your plastic!)" S.

  7. Determined

    Determined Guest

    > "determined" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > get
    > in

    > > > 'the bike gallery' has group rides regularly. also check the web for
    the
    > > > mountain peddlers club ( or BG may have the info you need)
    > >
    > > Kewl! I just bought my first bike there last night, and did see that
    they
    > > offer group rides... thanx.
    >
    > So whatcha get?!? No fair asking for recommendations, and then buying something without spilling
    > your guts! :)

    Well, I ended up buying an '02 Gary Fisher Wahoo for $289. I understand this is a very "entry-level"
    model, but since I'm brand new to the sport I figured it would last me a couple years (hopefully)
    and I could upgrade at that point. I haven't been on a bike since I was 10, so I imagine the
    learning curve's going to be a little looongg.... But I bought a couple of trail books and am going
    to take my first ride this weekend.

    Thanks for everyone's help!

    determined