MTB Handlebar Height

Michael J. Klein

Guest
I bought a new Giant Yukon. I've been riding it for 2 days and it
feels like I'm leaning way too much on the handlbars. My wrists and
palms do not like it at all. It looks like all the spacers are on the
bottom and the stem is up all the way. Is it normal to lean so hard
on the handlebar? New stem time?
Michael J. Klein [email protected]
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
www.goto-info.com
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

"Michael J. Klein" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:eek:[email protected]...
> I bought a new Giant Yukon. I've been riding it for 2 days and it
> feels like I'm leaning way too much on the handlbars. My wrists and
> palms do not like it at all. It looks like all the spacers are on the
> bottom and the stem is up all the way. Is it normal to lean so hard
> on the handlebar? New stem time?

No, two days on a new bike is not enough for a real answer to your question.
Try at least two weeks or better two months.
One has to get adjusted to ones new bike and in the process of adjustment
(or getting used to) pain is sometimes the name of the game
What type of gloves are you using?

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:28:02 +0800, Michael J. Klein
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I bought a new Giant Yukon. I've been riding it for 2 days and it
>feels like I'm leaning way too much on the handlbars. My wrists and
>palms do not like it at all. It looks like all the spacers are on the
>bottom and the stem is up all the way. Is it normal to lean so hard
>on the handlebar? New stem time?
>Michael J. Klein [email protected]
>Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
>Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

How are the brake handles and shifters set up? If they are rotated so
that they are facing forward, you have to twist your wrist back and
down for operation, and this can cause problems. Pretend the levers
aren't there and see where your hands, arms, and shoulders are
comfortable. Then rotate the levers to match this. Not the other way
around, rotating wrists to match levers.

Still it sounds like the stem could be changed for now. When I bought
a similar bike last year, the handlebars were at the right distance
but far too low. I was getting a cramp/pain at the base of my neck
from having to hold my head back in order to see. Getting a stem that
raised it an inch solved that.

Since you just got back on a bike (if I remember your other posts) I'd
play it conservative. Get a new stem that pulls the handlebars back
and up. Maybe the dealer could loan you an adjustable one for a week
or two, and when you find the right position you buy a new one from
him? As time goes on and your body adjusts, you can swap stems again,
maybe ending up with the one you have right now after a year...

Look at the seat position, also. This seriously affects how weight is
distributed between the seat and handlebars.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

RE/
>I bought a new Giant Yukon. I've been riding it for 2 days and it
>feels like I'm leaning way too much on the handlbars. My wrists and
>palms do not like it at all. It looks like all the spacers are on the
>bottom and the stem is up all the way. Is it normal to lean so hard
>on the handlebar? New stem time?

Not normal.

First think I'd check is the saddle tilt. Maybe you're sliding forward on a
saddle whose nose is down rather than level or up.

Does the bike have riser bars? If not, one option for more height is risers.

Another option is one of those extenders that goes between the steering tube and
your stem. Dunno how robust they are mechanically, but they're good for 3-4"
of height.
--
PeteCresswell

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:15:14 +0200, "Bert L.am" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Michael J. Klein" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
>news:eek:[email protected]...
>> I bought a new Giant Yukon. I've been riding it for 2 days and it
>> feels like I'm leaning way too much on the handlbars. My wrists and
>> palms do not like it at all. It looks like all the spacers are on the
>> bottom and the stem is up all the way. Is it normal to lean so hard
>> on the handlebar? New stem time?

>No, two days on a new bike is not enough for a real answer to your question.
>Try at least two weeks or better two months.
>One has to get adjusted to ones new bike and in the process of adjustment
>(or getting used to) pain is sometimes the name of the game
>What type of gloves are you using?

gloves?
Michael J. Klein [email protected]
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
www.goto-info.com
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 08:36:35 -0700, Dan Daniel
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:28:02 +0800, Michael J. Klein
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I bought a new Giant Yukon. I've been riding it for 2 days and it
>>feels like I'm leaning way too much on the handlbars. My wrists and
>>palms do not like it at all. It looks like all the spacers are on the
>>bottom and the stem is up all the way. Is it normal to lean so hard
>>on the handlebar? New stem time?
>>Michael J. Klein [email protected]
>>Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
>>Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

>How are the brake handles and shifters set up? If they are rotated so
>that they are facing forward, you have to twist your wrist back and
>down for operation, and this can cause problems. Pretend the levers
>aren't there and see where your hands, arms, and shoulders are
>comfortable. Then rotate the levers to match this. Not the other way
>around, rotating wrists to match levers.

The position of the brakes and shifters appears good. I will keep
taht aspect in mind though, as small changes can make a big
difference.

>Still it sounds like the stem could be changed for now. When I bought
>a similar bike last year, the handlebars were at the right distance
>but far too low. I was getting a cramp/pain at the base of my neck
>from having to hold my head back in order to see. Getting a stem that
>raised it an inch solved that.
>
>Since you just got back on a bike (if I remember your other posts) I'd
>play it conservative. Get a new stem that pulls the handlebars back
>and up. Maybe the dealer could loan you an adjustable one for a week
>or two, and when you find the right position you buy a new one from
>him? As time goes on and your body adjusts, you can swap stems again,
>maybe ending up with the one you have right now after a year...

I'm going to ask him about that later next week when I go back for
some adjustments.

>Look at the seat position, also. This seriously affects how weight is
>distributed between the seat and handlebars.

That is a very good point! I was thinking about that but I didn't
adjust anything yet for lack of information. Thanks for the URL.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 19:16:37 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>RE/
>>I bought a new Giant Yukon. I've been riding it for 2 days and it
>>feels like I'm leaning way too much on the handlbars. My wrists and
>>palms do not like it at all. It looks like all the spacers are on the
>>bottom and the stem is up all the way. Is it normal to lean so hard
>>on the handlebar? New stem time?

>Not normal.

Thanks for confirming that. Its my belief that if something feels
wrong, it probably is.

>First think I'd check is the saddle tilt. Maybe you're sliding forward on a
>saddle whose nose is down rather than level or up.

I did make some saddle adjustments today, after reading about bicycle
fitting. This seems to have made quite a positive difference.

>Does the bike have riser bars? If not, one option for more height is risers.

I don't know what riser bars are! I have a pretty basic Giant Yukon
MTB.

>Another option is one of those extenders that goes between the steering tube and
>your stem. Dunno how robust they are mechanically, but they're good for 3-4"
>of height.

That sounds interesting. I just came back from a pretty long ride
(for me that is, considering I got it 4 days ago) and I don't seem to
have the hand/arm fatigue that I did previously.

I'm going to detail the adjustments I made in another message so you
may choose the level of boredom you wish to be exposed to! lol

Thanks Pete!

Michael J. Klein wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 19:16:37 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Does the bike have riser bars? If not, one option for more height
>> is risers.

> I don't know what riser bars are! I have a pretty basic Giant Yukon
> MTB.

A riser bar has upward curves, as opposed to a "flat bar" that's...well, you
know :)

> Michael J. Klein [email protected]
> Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
> Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

Thanks for losing the long string of addies here!

Bill "noticed" S.

Note: This is the second reply to the original reply:

<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:28:02 +0800, Michael J. Klein
><[email protected]> wrote:

<my comments snipped>

>How are the brake handles and shifters set up? If they are rotated so
>that they are facing forward, you have to twist your wrist back and
>down for operation, and this can cause problems. Pretend the levers
>aren't there and see where your hands, arms, and shoulders are
>comfortable. Then rotate the levers to match this. Not the other way
>around, rotating wrists to match levers.

I took another look at how they were positioned. I'm a manufacturing
engineer by trade and have setup quite a number of factory assembly
lines and ergonomic workstations. I did end up adjusting the
brake/shifter positions slightly different from where they were
originally. The compromise is for the thumb. When the brakes are
dead centered for pull, the thumbs have to be moved way up.
Positioning the brake levers up somewhat puts the thumb shifting lever
down and then its not such a wrist move to reach them.

<other stuff snipped out>

>Look at the seat position, also. This seriously affects how weight is
>distributed between the seat and handlebars.
>
>http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

After reading this article again (I had read it some time ago, but now
I had something to actually adjust), I made some minor adjustments one
at a time. I went for a ride and checked out the adjustments. For
me, this was a pretty long ride.

Before I left, I put the seat back about 2.5 cm (~1"). I rode it to
the bottom of the big hill and around some before I stopped to take a
drink. At that point I pushed it back further, about another cm.
After I went back up to the top of the hill, I adusted the seat
incline nose up and rode it home. I like the final adjustment and my
arms feel a lot better now. Typically I felt like I had been bench
pressing the whole time. Now I feel more balanced. I anticipate that
as I lose this gut I'll have to push the seat forward as I'll have
less "ballast" to offset. lol

I know you guys like to get technical, so I made a map of the course I
rode today, which you can see here:
http://www.asiancastings.com/images/ride.jpg The overall distance
indicated by the green line is approximately 2.47 KM one-way. Just on
the other side of the highway, (the blue line) is where I actually
went. The blue line is an irrigation channel which feeds the rice
paddies, and has a narrow paved path next to it. I rode south on the
narrow path until I couldn't go any further due to obstacles (fallen
debris). I turned around and rode north for several kilometers along
the irrigation channel and then back under the highway through some
small neighborhoods and temples. You have to see it to appreciate how
cool it is to ride through the Taiwan countryside. Next time I go out
I will get some pictures - but imagine Buddhist temples next to rice
paddies with a thin paved bike path, and the Central Mountain Range in
the background and you pretty much have it.

The part of the road with the large "S" curve (on the website image)
is an impressive hill with goes down as it approaches the highway. My
GPS indicates that the point where the curve begins to the point where
the road crosses the highway is 400 meters, straight line. Yet,
within this linear distance the change in elevation is well over 100
meters! Needless to say, I rode the brakes pretty much all the way
down. While I was concerned about being able to get back uphill, I
was determined to not let the size of the hill and the grade
intimidate me and stop me from enjoying my ride on the flatlands
beyond. I could hear the motor strain on the scooters passing me
going uphill, lol.

On the uphill climb, I put it in granny and spun my way up. I stopped
3 times to rest. Each time I got back on I felt stronger. I had
people driving by in cars and on scooters who had incredulous looks on
their faces. One guy looked at me and gave me a very hearty "thumbs
up." Once I got to the top I took a rest on the steps of a temple
(this is where I made the seat angle adjustment). The guy in the van
had returned and drove by me again, with another thumbs up. Just
after that, a 20-something (or less) young man went down the hill. He
came back a few mins later, walking his bike! lol He didn't go more
than 50 meters and decided it was too much for him. At 48 y/o, that
made me feel pretty good. About that time I felt like starting back
home and I ended up passing that guy without actually intending to.
This leads me to think that I'm not quite as out of shape as I
thought.

Number of meters walking the bike back uphill: 0
Number of meters riding off-seat back uphill: 0
Total distance ridden, including large hill: 7km (estimate)

I understand that for you bike jocks this is nothing. For me, its a
beginning. I feel really great and I believe that is the Zen goal
(remember, the meaning of the word "zen" is truth). I will get some
pictures of the area next time because of its scenic beauty.

For those of you who care (and don't know), I have written 2 bike
articles related to manufacturing. See
http://www.asiancastings.com/photo_galleries.htm for the master list
of articles. At some point I will do one regarding my fledgling bike
activites. lol
Michael J. Klein [email protected]
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 04:09:29 GMT, "S o r n i"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Michael J. Klein wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 19:16:37 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Does the bike have riser bars? If not, one option for more height
>>> is risers.

>> I don't know what riser bars are! I have a pretty basic Giant Yukon
>> MTB.

>A riser bar has upward curves, as opposed to a "flat bar" that's...well, you
>know :)

Duh, thanks! lol Mine is a slight riser then. Its rotated for the
max offset. I was thinking that I'd like to find a set of high
handlebars like I had when I was a kid, lol.

>Thanks for losing the long string of addies here!

The addresses had done their work. I thank everyone for their
understanding. In fact, if everyone posted the personal email
addresses of spammers on USENET, maybe they would get the message that
spam is not a good thing. Maybe....

Michael J. Klein <[email protected]> writes:

> Number of meters walking the bike back uphill: 0
> Number of meters riding off-seat back uphill: 0
> Total distance ridden, including large hill: 7km (estimate)

Killing a challenging hill: priceless.

Keep going; you're doing very well.

cheers,
Tom