Mtn Bikes as Road Bike

Moski

Jul 8, 2010
I have been traingin for my departments Bike Patrol and have managed to loose 9lbs in the last month and routinely do 10-15 rolling miles a day. As it is now I can only afford the bike I have now for Training, I ride a Marin at work. My current steed is a Mongoose D40r that I bought 10yrs ago. What inprovements could/should I make to that bike to improve my gains and training(parts?). I've been riding that bike for 10yrs and it fits well, plus I can't afford another at this time:mad:. Bring on the wisdom.:)

On the road, a true road bike will get you to your destination more efficiently. But, you can train and gain fitness on any type of bike. The most important thing to address is comfort and fit. If those 2 things are bad, you will not want to ride.

To make the mountain bike more road worthy, I would suggest purchasing some thinner, smooth tread tires and thinner tubes. Tires around 26"x1.5" can be had for as little as $10 each, but you can always use the (presumably) larger tread tires that are currently on the bike.

To improve your cycling fitness in the most efficient way, I am a strong believer in doing intervals. Search for information on cycling intervals here or google it.

3 (or 4...) words; Continental Town & Country. Those hybrid tires will transform your mountain bike into a totally different animal. My wife and I both have them mounted on our mountain bikes for very light trail riding and some road riding. They work extremely well, and will make your mountain bike feel pretty light on its feet (for a mountain bike...).

No tires on a mountain bike are going to turn it into a rocket, but these tires will make for a much more pleasant ride on asphalt than knobby tires will.

GT Fanatic said:
3 (or 4...) words; Continental Town & Country. Those hybrid tires will transform your mountain bike into a totally different animal. My wife and I both have them mounted on our mountain bikes for very light trail riding and some road riding. They work extremely well, and will make your mountain bike feel pretty light on its feet (for a mountain bike...).

No tires on a mountain bike are going to turn it into a rocket, but these tires will make for a much more pleasant ride on asphalt than knobby tires will.

+1 on the Continental Town & Country Tires. I have a set as well - wonderful!

rawhite1969 said:
+1 on the Continental Town & Country Tires. I have a set as well - wonderful!

Can't say enough about'em. They really worked out very well for me until I got a road bike. No, it didn't turn my mountain bike into a road bike, but damn, it sure made it easier to pedal up hills! Definitely one of the better investments I've made in biking equipment!

Funny that you guys mentioned the Continental Town and Country tires. As the original poster mentioned that he was training for his "Departments Bike Patrol", those are the perfect tires for him.

I used to live in the Los Angeles area, now I live in Las Vegas, and have frequently traveled to Cities such as San Diego and NYC. I have seen a good amount of law enforcement and security patrol bikes in my time.

From all of these bikes I have seen, I would say that the Conti Town and Country tires were by far the most popular tires for "on duty" bikes.

Chainringtattoo said:
Funny that you guys mentioned the Continental Town and Country tires. As the original poster mentioned that he was training for his "Departments Bike Patrol", those are the perfect tires for him.

I used to live in the Los Angeles area, now I live in Las Vegas, and have frequently traveled to Cities such as San Diego and NYC. I have seen a good amount of law enforcement and security patrol bikes in my time.

From all of these bikes I have seen, I would say that the Conti Town and Country tires were by far the most popular tires for "on duty" bikes.

These tires were recommended to my wife and I by the local LBS, and I have to say, they were spot-on with their choice of recommended hybrid tires. These tires are great.