My 1st week on clipless

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Philthy, May 14, 2003.

  1. Philthy

    Philthy Guest

    Hi, Thanks for all the advice offered regarding going clipless over the past month. Well I eventualy
    got some Shimano M515's & a pair of M037 shoes. What can I say the difference is remarkable, hill
    climbing is far faster/more efficient & I strangely feel generaly safer all round. I'm mainly
    gravel/dirt tracking it between West Newcastle & Prudhoe along the Tyne (For any north easterners on
    here) this is a great little route (72 on the national cycle network I think) so far I love them. So
    far only 1 misshap, Typical this happened just as I pulled up outside home turned into the garden to
    notice my other half had done some planting & put some new edging down, very nice except that the
    distraction caused me to forget to unclip & as I stopped a classic comedy topple was performed
    CRUNCH, bruised knee & shin but no other damage. So far so good fingers crossed.

    Ta for reading the ramblings Phil

    Tags:

  2. Pete

    Pete Guest

    On Wed, 14 May 2003 09:52:40 +0100, "philthy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >gravel/dirt tracking it between West Newcastle & Prudhoe along the Tyne (For any north
    >easterners on here) this is a great little route (72 on the national cycle network I think) so
    >far I love them.

    Hi Phil,

    I regularly do one of the Newburn / Wylam / Prudhoe / Bywell combinations. Has the fallen tree
    between Clara Vale golf course and the boathouse been moved yet?

    Pete angeltec co uk

  3. Philthy

    Philthy Guest

    > >gravel/dirt tracking it between West Newcastle & Prudhoe along the Tyne
    (For
    > >any north easterners on here) this is a great little route (72 on the national cycle network I
    > >think) so far I love them.
    >
    > Hi Phil,
    >
    > I regularly do one of the Newburn / Wylam / Prudhoe / Bywell combinations. Has the fallen tree
    > between Clara Vale golf course and the boathouse been moved yet?

    Yeah it has, spent about half an hour helping a group of old biddies over it at the weekend ;-) but
    it was gone last night. I tend to do this route a lot as I only spend 100 meters on the road door to
    door (I'm in Denton Burn!) which is great, as after being hit by a reckless car driver in my teens
    I've never been very happy on the roads since :-( Phil

  4. Pete

    Pete Guest

    On Wed, 14 May 2003 12:14:43 +0100, "philthy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yeah it has, spent about half an hour helping a group of old biddies over it at the weekend ;-) but
    >it was gone last night.
    What a gent - that's the stuff :)

    >I tend to do this route a lot as I only spend 100 meters on the road door to door (I'm in Denton
    >Burn!) which is great, as after being hit by a reckless car driver in my teens I've never been very
    >happy on the roads since :-(
    Actually I find I don't have to use the roads very much as so much of the pavements are shared now -
    you can virtually use the pavement all the way from Scotswood Road into Newcastle. I'm at Crawcrook
    so the only roadie bit is through Ryton and down the bank - there's another shared pavement from
    there to Blaydon. I used to think it was a cheap plan by the council to put these blue
    pedestrian/cycle signs up in order to meet their 'green' quota, but I don't blame them as you hardly
    ever see a pedestrian on them.

    Pete

  5. Philthy

    Philthy Guest

    > >I tend to do this route a lot as I only spend 100 meters on the road door
    > >door (I'm in Denton Burn!) which is great, as after being hit by a
    reckless
    > >car driver in my teens I've never been very happy on the roads since :-(
    > Actually I find I don't have to use the roads very much as so much of the pavements are shared now
    > - you can virtually use the pavement all the way from Scotswood Road into Newcastle. I'm at
    > Crawcrook so the only roadie bit is through Ryton and down the bank - there's another shared
    > pavement from there to Blaydon. I used to think it was a cheap plan by the council to put these
    > blue pedestrian/cycle signs up in order to meet their 'green' quota, but I don't blame them as you
    > hardly ever see a pedestrian on them.

    As it appens when I cycle to work, all I have to do is nip down Denton Road, to the derelict Black &
    white pub (Don't ya love scotswood!) & from there it's cycle track (72 again) all the way to the
    quay side & a quick uphill to the Northumbria Uni :). The only dodgy bit is swerving to avoid the
    glass on the Scotswood stretch. I haven't tried the Gateshead side of the tyne since I took cycling
    up again. I'll have to take a look about. You don't know of any sites/resources that list cycling
    friendly routes round our way by any chance. Thanks Phil

  6. Pete

    Pete Guest

  7. Philthy

    Philthy Guest

    > >I regularly do one of the Newburn / Wylam / Prudhoe / Bywell combinations. Has the fallen tree
    > >between Clara Vale golf course and the boathouse been moved yet?
    >
    > Do any of you lads know the Runhead in Ryton or Keelman(?) in Newburn? I live in Milton Keynes,
    > but come from Ryton. I usually try to ride around there (and always drink around there) when I'm
    > up visiting. Along the Tyne etc.
    >
    > Photos from last time I was up there: http://www.chris.wheeler.name/mtb/corbridge2003.shtml

    Hi Chris, I don't know the Runhead, but the Big lamp Brewery (Keelman) is a great stop off, Which
    I'm bypassing at the mo due to trying to lose another half a stone to ease my BP*. Once thats done &
    doc is happy I'll be stopping off for the odd pint of foaming brown stuff again :)

    Pics are great. God your mates do look pissed off ;-) 30 miles in jeans I bet his legs were red raw
    after that one. Cya Phil

    *I'm 34, 5'10, 12 stone & have the BP of a 50 year old thanks to some hereditary shite...
    Lifes a bitch..

  8. Philthy

    Philthy Guest

  9. On Thu, 15 May 2003 09:34:43 +0100, "philthy" <[email protected]> wrote...

    >> >I regularly do one of the Newburn / Wylam / Prudhoe / Bywell combinations. Has the fallen tree
    >> >between Clara Vale golf course and the boathouse been moved yet?
    >>
    >> Do any of you lads know the Runhead in Ryton or Keelman(?) in Newburn? I live in Milton Keynes,
    >> but come from Ryton. I usually try to ride around there (and always drink around there) when I'm
    >> up visiting. Along the Tyne etc.
    >>
    >> Photos from last time I was up there: http://www.chris.wheeler.name/mtb/corbridge2003.shtml
    >
    >Hi Chris, I don't know the Runhead, but the Big lamp Brewery (Keelman) is a great stop off, Which
    >I'm bypassing at the mo due to trying to lose another half a stone to ease my BP*. Once thats done
    >& doc is happy I'll be stopping off for the odd pint of foaming brown stuff again :)

    The Runhead (my start/end point) is on the main drag through Ryton, so it's probably a bit off-route
    if you mtb like I do. There are a couple of other pubs on route, but I forget their names.

    >Pics are great. God your mates do look pissed off ;-) 30 miles in jeans I bet his legs were red raw
    >after that one.

    Thanks :) Don't know how he managed to do it in jeans - I started feeling it even with cycling
    shorts. Still, we were all dutifully holding up the Runhead bar that evening, so it can't have been
    that bad ;-)

    I'm going up for the bank holiday weekend, so watch out for a lunatic on an old black Saracen :)

    Oh yeah, and to get back on topic, I've got SPDs but not the pedals/cleats. The shoes are a whole
    lot better than trainers for energy transmission thru the pedals. I'll definitely get the
    cleats/pedals soon.

    -Chris

  10. Philthy

    Philthy Guest

    > Oh yeah, and to get back on topic, I've got SPDs but not the pedals/cleats. The shoes are a whole
    > lot better than trainers for energy transmission thru the pedals. I'll definitely get the
    > cleats/pedals soon.

    Well I got a set of Shimano M515 from
    http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/PDM515_SPD_Pedals_169.asp for a super expensive 19.99 &
    they arrived next morning so far build quality & ease of use seems excellent. So now there's no
    excuse ;-) Phil