My First Big Ride

WrxAnt

Jan 25, 2006
Hi Guys,

I took part in The Great Divide ride on Sunday here in Melbourne. A 180km ride from Keilor up through Mt Macedon to Trentham and then out out through Greendale to Baccus Marsh and Caroline springs and back into Keilor.

I recently starting riding a push bike for fitness about 3 months ago to get into shape and help a recurring knee problem. I was 110kgs and walking around the block saw me in quite some pain.

A few friends were doing this ride and 'conned' me into signing up to the 180km route.

Leading upto Sunday, my longest ride ever was 65km with a 1hr break in the middle! I had been doing upto 200km per week of commuting and had lost 15kgs and started feeling a lot healthier.

Was I ride fit for a 180km ride? I didn't think so but I'm not one to baulk at a challenge.

Well Sunday was the big day, and might I say the weather put on a nice show with light showers, cold temperatures and nice winds. Nothing too savage.

I must say before I started I was quite skeptical about even being able to make the lunch point which was an 80km ride but I'm quite stubborn.

After getting a puncture about 38km into the ride I was less than impressed (my first flat ever!).

Of course i had my tool kit and spare in the back of the wifes car who was doing the support role, but alas she was running 1hr late. So after the kindness of a stranger who gave me a tube and another few who lent me some tools to do a few steps in the tyre change I was back on the road in 30mins or so.

I persisted and continued to push myself and surprise surprise I made it to the lunch rendezvous. Yay!

Of course not having ridden such distances before, I had no real concept of what eating lunch can do to you later on when riding so I chowed down.

About 15km out of Trentham the stomach cramps started and I had to walk for about 20-30mins until the cramps surpassed as it was just way too painful to ride.

After that I started riding strong again. The rain came and went, the wind persisted and I lost the feeling in my toes once again for hours on end.

With about 30km to go I met up with another rider and decided to sit on their pace which was a nice relaxing 22-24km/h. A slight wrong turn added about 6km to our trip. It was nice to meet a new face and have some company for the 30km or so ride to the end.

It was getting dark as we arrived at the finishing line, but I must say it didn't phase me one bit as I was just stoked to have finished the ride.

Overall:
- I averaged 21.3 km/h
- spent 8hrs 50mins in the saddle
- drank 6.5 litres of powerade
- drank 1 litre of water
- ate 5 energy bars whilst riding
- ate a heavy lunch at around midday
- still manage to lose 2kgs!
- smiled my butt off the whole way around!!!

It was a big challenge but one that was not insurmountable.

It was a truly enjoyable experience and one I can't wait to do again.

Now the only problem is finding some other events between now and the Around the bay in a day in October!

You're hooked you say... damn straight!

For those of you out there who have never done anything like this, give it a go. If I can do it, anyone can!!!!

Cheers
Ant

Great going Ant!

For more rides, check out your local social bike club. I'm north of the border, so someone else is better places to make recommendations.

WrxAnt said:
Hi Guys,

I took part in The Great Divide ride on Sunday here in Melbourne. A 180km ride from Keilor up through Mt Macedon to Trentham and then out out through Greendale to Baccus Marsh and Caroline springs and back into Keilor.

I recently starting riding a push bike for fitness about 3 months ago to get into shape and help a recurring knee problem. I was 110kgs and walking around the block saw me in quite some pain.

A few friends were doing this ride and 'conned' me into signing up to the 180km route.

Leading upto Sunday, my longest ride ever was 65km with a 1hr break in the middle! I had been doing upto 200km per week of commuting and had lost 15kgs and started feeling a lot healthier.

Was I ride fit for a 180km ride? I didn't think so but I'm not one to baulk at a challenge.

Well Sunday was the big day, and might I say the weather put on a nice show with light showers, cold temperatures and nice winds. Nothing too savage.

I must say before I started I was quite skeptical about even being able to make the lunch point which was an 80km ride but I'm quite stubborn.

After getting a puncture about 38km into the ride I was less than impressed (my first flat ever!).

Of course i had my tool kit and spare in the back of the wifes car who was doing the support role, but alas she was running 1hr late. So after the kindness of a stranger who gave me a tube and another few who lent me some tools to do a few steps in the tyre change I was back on the road in 30mins or so.

I persisted and continued to push myself and surprise surprise I made it to the lunch rendezvous. Yay!

Of course not having ridden such distances before, I had no real concept of what eating lunch can do to you later on when riding so I chowed down.

About 15km out of Trentham the stomach cramps started and I had to walk for about 20-30mins until the cramps surpassed as it was just way too painful to ride.

After that I started riding strong again. The rain came and went, the wind persisted and I lost the feeling in my toes once again for hours on end.

With about 30km to go I met up with another rider and decided to sit on their pace which was a nice relaxing 22-24km/h. A slight wrong turn added about 6km to our trip. It was nice to meet a new face and have some company for the 30km or so ride to the end.

It was getting dark as we arrived at the finishing line, but I must say it didn't phase me one bit as I was just stoked to have finished the ride.

Overall:
- I averaged 21.3 km/h
- spent 8hrs 50mins in the saddle
- drank 6.5 litres of powerade
- drank 1 litre of water
- ate 5 energy bars whilst riding
- ate a heavy lunch at around midday
- still manage to lose 2kgs!
- smiled my butt off the whole way around!!!

It was a big challenge but one that was not insurmountable.

It was a truly enjoyable experience and one I can't wait to do again.

Now the only problem is finding some other events between now and the Around the bay in a day in October!

You're hooked you say... damn straight!

For those of you out there who have never done anything like this, give it a go. If I can do it, anyone can!!!!

Cheers
Ant
Good effort Ant,
180 k's is a decent ride in anyones books so to start off at that distance is great.
I guess you may have learnt now that you should always carry your tools etc on board, get yourself a saddle bag if you dont like too much gear in your pockets. With so many riders on the ATB, your wife wouldn't be able to follow along. Damn fine of her to do so, however!!!

Check out http://www.audax.org.au if you are looking for some more long rides between now and the ATB

Cheers

Andrew

Onya Ant. When you start off with an ambition to do something, that maybe your not sure willl come off, but it does, you just can't wait to share your experience & noone can get the grin off your face.

My first 80 k charity ride several years ago was my first group ride & first chance to draft. Also the longest ride I'd undertaken. To most people they could not see what the big deal was, but to me [at the time] it was the most thrilling thing I had done in a long time.

congrats!

i did the gong ride and felt pretty good afterwards... last yr

looking forward to doing it again

my CRX1 is primed up with more carbon and smicker tyres...

Hello Ant, man that sounds like a nice ride! were there many hills on the way? Im up here in Brisbane and have been doing some rides around the bayside suburbs with a couple of friends.We normally do between 40 to 60ks most saturdays,there are always plenty of hills to kill my legs, I think i need to do some jogging to try and get my legs in better shape ,he he. I try do do 20 -30 ks every second day. Man i know what you mean when you say you are hooked! Ive only been riding about two months and already i'm looking to go into my first criterium race. I am going to watch some races on saturday and see what goes on.I would also like to do a long ride such as the one you did, sounds like a nice way to see the countryside. Anyway all the best for your future rides, well done mate!!!
cya Bayrunner.

Hi Bayrunner,

Yeah there were quite a few hills. Most of them not too bad.
But there were a couple of steep ones at around the 100km mark.

Here is the route:
http://www.greatcycling.com.au/route.html
It has a altitude profile at the bottom of the page.

I'm not quite into getting competetive as yet, rather I'm getting more into these longer rides where I can see some sights and get out there.

If I continue to improve and stay as hooked as I have been I might get into so friendly competitions (is there such a thing?)

Good luck on Saturday, be sure to let me know how you go!

Cheers
Ant

Tony, that is a SUPREME effort mate...
I saw all you guys on the ride & now I know what all the cyclists were out doing...Just out of curiosity how long did it take you to recover from the ride.
Cheers
Mark

Given that I've had a real lack of training for the first 2 days after the big ride it was fair to say I was having real trouble standing up or sitting down but walking was fine.

I figure with more riding and more acclimatisation to longer durations in the seat I'll recover better.

But for now with long rides such as this, the bath, deep heat and a lot of stretching is my post long ride routine :)

Cheers
Ant

Geez Ant, thats a huge effort! you should be jumping over the moon!!

Well done! How did your bike perform?

Hey LeojVS,

The bike performed well. It definitely needs its first service though. I was unable to get the largest (i.e. shortest - 1) rear cog, and the rear deraileur would skip from 2nd to 4th as well which made it a hard slog on a few of the steep inclines hahaha especially the one where I saw a lot of cyclists walking.

I must say I was quite proud to ride past a few cyclists that were visibly in better shape and with more expensive bikes that were walking. Little did they know that I was driven to beat the hill by the fact my cleats were jammed in my pedals and without a pole to hold onto in sight the options were to beat the hill OR fall over :D

Cheers
Ant

HAA!!! thats great motivation!!

Yeah, its awesom to pass people with better clothes bikes and fitter looking. Makes you want to push so the buggers dont pass you back.