DancenMacabre said:...1 - I'm positively certain that riding the stripe or paint if you like, results in getting a slightly lower Crr. My problem is holding a straight line while very low in the TT position. Any tips on how to keep the bike in as straight a line as possible while riding? ...
I'll ride the stripe if it's dry, clean and the road is reasonably straight but on a lot of county roads around here the right hand tire track seems smoother and is typically much cleaner as well as wider so it's an easier line to hold. We had a lot of courses this season on roads that were probably chip sealed several years ago so not totally rough but the tire track was definitely smoother. I've also been surprised by road side debris while trying to ride the white line on roads with narrower shoulders so unless things are really clean and straight and no gravel strewn driveways I'll race in the passenger side tire track.
Quoted post said:...2 - Have any of you experimented with "shrugging" the shoulders upwards to more or less reduce the breadth of your shoulders while low in the TT position?...
I've played with it, but find it hard enough to focus on turtling my head and keeping my knees in fairly tight without also trying to bring my shoulders up to my ears. I suspect I lower my FA when I pull in that way, but not sure it's worth it overall. One key to riding a straight line in the TT bars is to relax your arms but that's tough to do when you're holding the shrug. I'd be curious to see what other folks are doing here, but I haven't mastered the head tuck-knees in- shoulders shrugged position while hammering along at or above FTP and riding a straight line.
I don't have a windscreen, so I haven't tested it but I've definitely given up on sunglasses, even rimless sunglasses for time trialing. Too much sweat on the glasses and even the rimless glasses make it harder to look out of the tops of my eye sockets while holding a deep aero position. I've taken some bugs in the eyes and it sucks but the glasses were driving me nuts.
-Dave