My irrational heart rate monitor fear....!!

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
Hi.
In recent months I've started using a HRM.
It's still rather cold here so I wear a couple of layers over the strap.
I've got an irrational fear(or maybe a very real fear) that come warmer weather when I've only got one layer over the strap that some wit(1/2 or full) in a car is going to think - "There's some stupid male cyclist with a bra on - what a girl - let's yell and otherwise hassle him as we drive by" - or words to that effect:eek:

Have any of you had this happen, or even(though you're all too manly to admit it) have this worry?

Bigbananabike said:
Hi.
I've got an irrational fear(or maybe a very real fear) that come warmer weather when I've only got one layer over the strap that some wit(1/2 or full) in a car is going to think - "There's some stupid male cyclist with a bra on - what a girl - let's yell and otherwise hassle him as we drive by" - or words to that effect:eek:

Have any of you had this happen, or even(though you're all too manly to admit it) have this worry?

Wow, it's amazing what people can find to worry about :)

Irrational is the correct word I thought you were going to say you had a fear that the HRM would display 160 bpm when it was really 190 bpm. Sounds like you are over anylizing a bit find a good multi vitamin and stay away from aspartame.

I've thought they look like some kind of weird bra or kinky S&M sex device while wearing it bare-chested, but they're not really visible through a bike jersey. Worry not.

If motorists get past the goofy helmet, spandex pants, and (maybe) shaved legs without harassing you, they probably won't think twice about seeing some kind of line or strap across your shirt or jersey. I've never had one mention it, or attributed the usual honking, yelling and harassing specifically to the HRM strap.

Bigbananabike said:
Hi.

I'd have to say I agree, it's pretty irrational. I haven't decided yet whether offer you consoling words on the visibility of the strap, the total lack of interest passers by actually have in you, or whether to make some obvious jokes instead. When inspiration hits me, you'll know. Otherwise, you can rest assured that your fear is completely irrational.

I used to be frightened of elevators, don't know why - use one everyday now at the gym to save energy expended by walking up the stairs. The effort is better employed in 2x20 @ X Watts:D TYSON

Sillyoldtwit said:
I used to be frightened of elevators, don't know why ...
I can't get in a crowded elevator for anything. Can't be anywhere around a crowd or I have a panic attack. Gives me the heebie jeebies.

My only fear of HRM's is when they drop to zero. It did just lose the wireless signal, didn't it... aaargh!

Doctor Morbius said:
I can't get in a crowded elevator for anything. Can't be anywhere around a crowd or I have a panic attack. Gives me the heebie jeebies.
The strap doesn't scare them. It is the fishnet stockings and garters that usually get honks for me.

Bigbananabike said:
Hi.

Have any of you had this happen, or even(though you're all too manly to admit it) have this worry?[/QUOTE

They would probably make fun of your Bannabike if anything.

Good to know I'm not totally perverse in my thinking:rolleyes:

My bananabike(my bright yellow race bike) gets more waves from school children than my dark grey Felt training bike - it must be the Bananas sunny exterior...

Maybe I should shave my legs - for the first time ever after riding/racing for years. Combined with the lyrca, HRM strap and mitts I'll be the talk of the Gay nightclub scene:)

Bigbananabike said:
Good to know I'm not totally perverse in my thinking:rolleyes:

My bananabike(my bright yellow race bike) gets more waves from school children than my dark grey Felt training bike - it must be the Bananas sunny exterior...

Maybe I should shave my legs - for the first time ever after riding/racing for years. Combined with the lyrca, HRM strap and mitts I'll be the talk of the Gay nightclub scene:)

LOL, i was just kidding about your bike. i really thought you were just makin fun of the hrt threads.

Bigbananabike said:
Hi.

You have no problem. Take a look at these irrational fears I found.

I hate toilets full stop. I fear being sucked down one (as someone said, the louder they flush the worse it is), I fear a toilet overflowing and I especially fear toilets with a high-level cistern or wall-hung toilets as it has been called.
Ever since I was 4 years old, I was disgusted by the sight of a button. Whether it would be on clothing or just lying around, I wasn't able to touch it. I am only grossed out by the plastic buttons with holes, whether it'd be colored or clear (especially the clear ones). Although, I seem to be fine with the metal buttons like the ones on a pair of jeans.
I'm almost unable to do anything if I see one around or close by. If I do happen to touch one by accident, I have to immediately wash my hands with soap and warm water. I do not wear anything with buttons on them. Attending Catholic School during Elementary, were my dreadful years, only when wearing my uniform.
Any object that comes in contact with a button, will have to be washed immediately and thoroughly as well, or just thrown away, while using a pair of gloves and/or napkin. I'm already 21 years old, and thought that I would've gotten over it by now. But I haven't! I think that I've gotten a little better because it doesn't really bother me as much when other people have buttons on his or her clothing. (I just try to ignore it and avoid it.)
This guy would be no good in crits.:D

There is a gent of my acquaintance who is quite terrified of corners. He even folds down the corners of paper. Sleeps in a round bed, etc. . . have any ideas what this phobia could be called?
i have a fear of the letters j and i next to each other for example in the word jinx, or jigsaw. i cant even look at the screen as i type
I have a fear of fans, mostly ventilation fans in public restrooms. I'm terrified that either something evil is living in the fan and will come out and grab me, or that it will suck me up. Recently, my husband and I stayed in a hotel and it took me hours before I could go into the bathroom because the fan was right over the toilet.
All my life, I have been afraid of rainbows. When I see one, or see one
forming, my heart beats faster and I begin to hyperventilate. Sometimes I
cry, sometimes if I see it suddenly I can't help screaming. I have looked
up this fear and found no such thing, but I doubt I'm the only one. I
propose to call it IRIDOPHOBIA.
Growing up, I was most afraid of the rainbows you see in the mist of the sprinkler in the lawn. I used to shower with my eyes closed for fear that the spray of the shower would create a rainbow (I was too young to realize this was not possible, though).
I realize now that I'm not just afraid of rainbows, but things in the sky in general. Rainbows and the Northern Lights especially. I get goosebumps looking at the Northern Lights, because they're like rainbows that MOVE. That freaks me the heck out! I shouldn't have moved to Alaska!

Bigbananabike said:
Wow, thanks. I now feel much better:)
And to make you feel even better, how about
Arachibutyrophobia.

The fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth
And the king of all phobias which I hope no one in these forums develops.

Known by a number of names - Cyclophobia and Fear of Bicycles being the most common - the problem often significantly impacts the quality of life. It can cause panic attacks and keep people apart from loved ones and business associates. Symptoms typically include shortness of breath, rapid breathing, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and overall feelings of dread, although everyone experiences cyclophobia in their own way and may have different symptons

Bigbananabike said:
Before you do, you might check to see if "Banana Bike" is some kind of gay 'code.' "Hey buddy, you wanna ride my big banana bike?" might get the wrong reaction if you're not careful. :eek:

Sillyoldtwit said:
....the problem often significantly impacts the quality of life. It can cause panic attacks and keep people apart from loved ones and business associates. Symptoms typically include shortness of breath, rapid breathing, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and overall feelings of dread, although everyone experiences ... in their own way and may have different symptons.
Is that describing Cyclophobia, or high-intensity interval training? :)