Marx SS

Jun 8, 2004
The antimony of my single speeder:
Apollo Everest MTB 1990.
Drive: 44/16
8 speed chain
Multi-speed front chainwheel 44t.
DMR single speed convert (16t).
Handlebars; Easton Scandium DH (65cm end to end)
LX Deore (circa 1990) 5 spider crank.
Race line Hemisphere 26 x 1.95.
DMR Singlator chain tensioner.

Marx748-SS02.jpg

As most of my cycling involves the commute to work, my most often used route (as I have a range of options depending on time & how technical I want to make it) takes in the flatter parts of Melbourne (inner west, Docklands & Yarra trail) with no real killer climbs.

Even though I bought my new Avanti Aggressor MTB recently to replace my tried & worn Apollo MTB I thought that converting the old Apollo into a single speed & using that for the commute would leave my Avanti Aggressor for a more offroad application (as god intended). That way at least I would have 2x working bikes.

Luckily the components on the old Apollo MTB which were worn where the ones I needed to change in the convert, namely the front chainwheel, rear cog & chain (as well the derailers but these were tossed in the convert) . I also looked at a new set of ‘bars & a new seat because I grabbed one from a specials bin.
I suppose the important part of a single speed convert is the right ratio. The mantra with MTB single speeders seems to be 2 to 1, 2 teeth on the front for every one out back. Popular with offroad MTB single Speeds seems to be 32/16. For me this would only give me 20kms/hr cruising (flat out) which is pretty slow seeing how I stick to mostly bitumen paths (roads). On my current Avanti I seem to spend heaps of time in the 44/16. So this is what I when for.
DMR make a Single Speed convert for a multi-speed freewheel (just a cog with alloy spacers really). I ran the front chainwheel on the middle mount on the crank & played with the freewheel spacers in the DMR kit to align the cogs true. Easy.

A problem with single speed on a MTB (later model after mid ‘80s) is that they have vertical dropouts for the rear wheel axle. This doesn’t allow any sort of adjustment of chain tension without a rear derailleur. The option to reweld in horizontal dropouts in my current Apollo frame would add cost & lots of stuffing around to my project so I sort a simpler chain tensioner from DMR. This tensioner was not cheap coming in at $110AUS. Some guys go for the old derailleur & just back in the adjusting screws until the derailleur sits aligned with the chain & cogs.
After fitting up the convert with the chain it didn’t seem that I had that much slack in the chain but I went for the tensioner just in case. It’s now the nosiest part of the bike in motion.

I went with wide (65cm approx) ‘Riser’ handlebars to give me the leverage I would need as I would be out of the saddle more on this single speed with hills. I fitted beefer Raceline Hemisphere 26 x 1.95 tyres to reduce any chance of slip on pavements, they also offer some cushioning as the Apollo is rigid frame/forks.

I’ve done about 50kms so far & I’m thinking that maybe 44/16 might be alittle geared high as I’m out of the seat heaps, but it’s do-able. I will give it an extra week & if it’s still a problem I’ll got from 16t to 17t at the rear as my chain can take that extra size up.

Sounds cool man, but the link to the pic doesn't work..

44/16 is pretty big!
I ride SS around Melbourne and use 32/15.
I need to go higher but spinning like a mofo (200rpm) gets me
around 40kph - not that I sit on this speed - it's a maximum on the flat.

You could gear down a bit and just work on your spin. It's better for your
knees as well.

hippy

Yeah, I actually have now gone to 44/18 which gives me better approch to some of the inclines. Still pretty high but it's a hard- path commuter & keeps me about 28kms/hr easy on the flats.
I'm an old low-candence sort of bloke from way back, but I'm starting to appreciate what I can do with the higher crank spins on this single speed.
With a multi-speeder I got stuck to one crank speed & shuffled btwn the gears. This single speed shows me what can be done with being flexiable with my crank speed.
Helps with my multispeed MTB which runs full knobs & I'm doing more single track & technical stuff (getting sorted for my first MTB event/race).

Link is busted, but I'll fix it.