My new Computrainer arrived today...

drcobol

Oct 10, 2007
Does anyone have any last minute advice or commentary before I do the final connections and take this puppy for a ride? :D

Be sure to understand the calibration process, and resist the temptation so skip warming the trainer up fully. It's the only way to get consistent results. They cover it pretty well in the manual, except that you should be fine with a calibration number between 2.1 and 2.5, as long as your tire doesn't slip. I think they give a chart in the manual about expected grades and corresponding calibration numbers, but in their forum they seem to say that the higher numbers aren't really necessary as long as your tire doesn't slip.

Go get some ergvideos (ergvideo.com). They work with the ergo mode, and they give you something to interact with when you're training.

Have fun!

Steve

drcobol said:
Does anyone have any last minute advice or commentary before I do the final connections and take this puppy for a ride? :D
read the manual(s)! There are a lot of simple yet very useful features embedded in the handlebar controller itself. You can use 'programs' 0-9 to dial in a fixed resistance and use the CT in what I'd call mag-trainer mode. You can use ERGO mode and dial in fixed wattage manually - I use this mode a LOT.

Now there are some other programs available (10 and up) there that I don't use. Generally if I want some variety or something longer I'll plug in my laptop and use 3D mode on a variety of courses which I've collated and/or built over the years.

The CS (coaching) software allows other options. One I've used is a pre-programmed series of power ramps, steps, times in ergo mode. For example using a text editor you can create a std. 6x5WI/5RI Vo2max workout. Just warmup, set the RRC, and start the CS running your .erg file and it will control the power for you automatically thru the entire workout. Or you can easily program in a 2x20 with a set rest interval.

Ergvideo and other add-ons are out there too ... look good from the demos and what I've read but I haven't used any of them.