My turn.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eddie Dubourg

Nipping down a hill, braking and turning into a junction, hit a patch of oil on the road (I didn't
see it because it was early evening, and just darkening) - the bike just shot out sideways from
underneath me, and I hit the tarmac at somewhere in the region of 25 mph - right elbow first,
shoulder next, then my head, then right knee, and then my right thigh.

A couple of nice policemen in a Panda who saw the wipeout came to help, which was nice, offered me
antiseptic wipes, tools etc - at the time I didn't think it was too bad.

At home, an hour later, I'm munching ibuprofen - when I took my fleece off at home I found my long
sleeved tee-shirt was soaked in blood from the elbow down - I tore the skin (and bits underneath)
off about 4 inches by 2 inches just below my elbow, I can't raise my arm because my shoulder is
killing me, I've got road rash all up my right leg, I can't walk because of the pain in my hip, and
my left thumb (I always hurt my left thumb for some reason) is useless - the bottom knuckle is
somewhat larger than it should be.

Still, I reckon I'll be back on the bike in a couple of days - it hurts less to cycle than walk.

Take care out there guys...

E

"Eddie Dubourg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nipping down a hill, braking and turning into a junction, hit a patch of
oil
> on the road (I didn't see it because it was early evening, and just darkening) - the bike just
> shot out sideways from underneath me, and I hit the tarmac at somewhere in the region of 25 mph -
> right elbow first, shoulder next, then my head, then right knee, and then my right thigh.
>
Ouch!

> A couple of nice policemen in a Panda who saw the wipeout came to help, which was nice, offered me
> antiseptic wipes, tools etc - at the time I didn't think it was too bad.
>
Are you sure they weren't sitting there, waiting for someone to turn up to clear the oil up ??... a
mate of mine wiped out on a patch of oil on his motorbike, only to be approached by a couple of cops
who informed him they were keeping an eye on it until the cleaners turned up. He was not amused that
they had made no attempt to inform road users of the hazard | ¬(

> At home, an hour later, I'm munching ibuprofen - when I took my fleece off at home I found my long
> sleeved tee-shirt was soaked in blood from the
elbow
> down - I tore the skin (and bits underneath) off about 4 inches by 2
inches
> just below my elbow, I can't raise my arm because my shoulder is killing
me,
> I've got road rash all up my right leg, I can't walk because of the pain
in
> my hip, and my left thumb (I always hurt my left thumb for some reason) is useless - the bottom
> knuckle is somewhat larger than it should be.
>
> Still, I reckon I'll be back on the bike in a couple of days - it hurts
less
> to cycle than walk.
>
> Take care out there guys...
>
> E
>
Marvellous invention, adrenalin, doncha think, huh ??

Glad to hear you're alive and functioning fairly well. Hope it all gets better soon. If it'd
have been a car that took all that smashin'n'bashin', it'd be a case of ' <sharp intake of
breath>...oooh, that's gonna be abaht 500 nicker mate!!'..Don't you just love the way the
human body's self maintenance system works ? ...bit of food, bit of air, bit of water and some
sleep, sorted!

Cheers, Dave.

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:32:40 GMT, "Eddie Dubourg" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Nipping down a hill, braking and turning into a junction, hit a patch of oil on the road (I didn't
>see it because it was early evening, and just darkening) - the bike just shot out sideways from
>underneath me, and I hit the tarmac at somewhere in the region of 25 mph - right elbow first,
>shoulder next, then my head, then right knee, and then my right thigh.

*Sharp intake of breath*

Nasty. My left elbow, hip and knee send their commiserations to your right ones, they know just
how it feels.

I'd suggest an X-ray or two to be on the safe side, but the trauma of a 4 hour wait at A & E would
be almost as bad as the crash. Take it easy, hope you feel better soon.

Perhaps we should all start a uk.rec.cycling injury photo web page? It could be like the Jaws
drinking scene in the boat... "pfft! call that a scar? Look at this!"

Bob
--
Mail address is spam trapped To reply by email remove the beverage

Eddie Dubourg <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Nipping down a hill, braking and turning into a junction, hit a patch of
oil
> on the road (I didn't see it because it was early evening, and just darkening) - the bike just
> shot out sideways from underneath me, and I hit the tarmac at somewhere in the region of 25 mph -
> right elbow first, shoulder next, then my head, then right knee, and then my right thigh.
>
> A couple of nice policemen in a Panda who saw the wipeout came to help, which was nice, offered me
> antiseptic wipes, tools etc - at the time I didn't think it was too bad.
>
> At home, an hour later, I'm munching ibuprofen - when I took my fleece off at home I found my long
> sleeved tee-shirt was soaked in blood from the
elbow
> down - I tore the skin (and bits underneath) off about 4 inches by 2
inches
> just below my elbow, I can't raise my arm because my shoulder is killing
me,
> I've got road rash all up my right leg, I can't walk because of the pain
in
> my hip, and my left thumb (I always hurt my left thumb for some reason) is useless - the bottom
> knuckle is somewhat larger than it should be.
>
> Still, I reckon I'll be back on the bike in a couple of days - it hurts
less
> to cycle than walk.
>
> Take care out there guys...
>
> E
>
>
>
For goodness sake, go to Casualty. Now! Sounds like you may have a broken clavical & goodness knows
what you may have done to your hip & thumb.

Russell

Ouchie! You need someone to spoon feed you ice cream :)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
~~~~~~~~~~

>For goodness sake, go to Casualty. Now! Sounds like you may have a broken clavical & goodness knows
>what you may have done to your hip & thumb.

Yes, Auntie Helen agrees - a trip to A&E or your local doc as an emergency case (see him/her this
morning) to get checked out would be a good idea.

Cheers, Auntie helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

~~~~~~~~~~

Eddie Dubourg wrote:
> hit a patch of oil

Aye - sympathies, having been there and collected the road rash (and been carted to hospital in
a neck brace - lying there mentally collecting body parts, I was surrounded by first an
off-duty nurse, then a cyclist paramedic in rapid succession) Worse of all I abraded through my
Goretex (*sob*)

R.

>Worse of all I abraded through my Goretex (*sob*)

Ah yes, Vernon abraded through his favourite cycle jersey. I am under orders to repair it.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Are you sure they weren't sitting there, waiting for someone to turn up to clear the oil up ??...
> a mate of mine wiped out on a patch of oil on his motorbike, only to be approached by a couple of
> cops who informed him they were keeping an eye on it until the cleaners turned up. He was not
> amused that they had made no attempt to inform road users of the hazard | ¬(

Neither would I have been. What a pair of useless blockheads! Reminds me of an Andy Capp cartoon
from years ago. Florrie comes in and says to Andy, "I thought I told you to watch when the milk
boiled over."

"I did," says Andy; "it was 'alf past two."

> Glad to hear you're alive and functioning fairly well. Hope it all gets better soon.

Me too.

> Don't you just love the way the human body's self maintenance system works ?

Yes it's brilliant. Still a good idea to give it a helping hand though by popping down to casualty
so they can align the broken ends for you.

--
Dave...

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:32:40 GMT, "Eddie Dubourg" <[email protected]> wrote:

>right elbow first, shoulder next, then my head, then right knee, and then my right thigh.
>

I'm most impressed you are able to recall the bang, smack, ouch order of things.

>I can't raise my arm because my shoulder is killing me, I've got road rash all up my right leg, I
>can't walk because of the pain in my hip, and my left thumb (I always hurt my left thumb for some
>reason) is useless - the bottom knuckle is somewhat larger than it should be.
>

Eddie, as others have already said, do please go to calamity - sorry, casualty - to get both your
shoulder and thumb checked out.

Strange things thumbs. I always used to trash both of mine when I used to ski. Two hours skiing even
without falls = pain.

To repeat myself, do go to A&E. There may be nothing wrong with your shoulder, collar bone or thumb
but there's no point in not going.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

"wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >For goodness sake, go to Casualty. Now! Sounds like you may have a broken clavical & goodness
> >knows what you may have done to your hip & thumb.
>
> Yes, Auntie Helen agrees - a trip to A&E or your local doc as an emergency
case
> (see him/her this morning) to get checked out would be a good idea.

Many thanks for the good wishes - I visited the local quack yesterday (only 3 hrs wait!), nothing
broken, torn ligaments in my shoulder, hyperextended thumb, and "traumatic abrasions and
contusions".

"Take two codeine, and if you're not better go see you family doctor......"

All the best

E

Status
Not open for further replies.