Nailed by Hit and Run

Yesterday morning I got creamed by a right-turn-against-red-light
driver (legal in Calif), as I crossed an intersection on my bike.
Witnesses who stopped to help me said that the driver was clearly in
the wrong. Now, 24 hours later, I can't shake this cloud over my
head, how could someone hurt a stranger so badly, and just drive away,
leaving me bleeding in the street? I feel like the Sopranos worked me
over with baseball bats, but worse was my 11-year old son's reaction
when he saw me...he's afraid he's going to lose his Dad, and all of a
sudden I'm not so sure I ever want to ride again. Really, I was lucky
this time, I'm alive, though scraped and bruised, but how can I
continue an activity I love so much when it might get me killed next
time?

Wondering,
ABS

On Feb 9, 10:41 am, [email protected] wrote:
> Yesterday morning I got creamed by a right-turn-against-red-light
> driver (legal in Calif), as I crossed an intersection on my bike.
> Witnesses who stopped to help me said that the driver was clearly in
> the wrong. Now, 24 hours later, I can't shake this cloud over my
> head, how could someone hurt a stranger so badly, and just drive away,
> leaving me bleeding in the street? I feel like the Sopranos worked me
> over with baseball bats, but worse was my 11-year old son's reaction
> when he saw me...he's afraid he's going to lose his Dad, and all of a
> sudden I'm not so sure I ever want to ride again. Really, I was lucky
> this time, I'm alive, though scraped and bruised, but how can I
> continue an activity I love so much when it might get me killed next
> time?
>
> Wondering,
> ABS

Snap out of it !!!

You're alive aren't you. Show your son how a man deals with
adversity.

I'm sorry you got creamed but try to find something positive here,
like how well you can recover from this.

Best wishes.

Lewis.

*****

On Feb 9, 6:14 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 10:41 am, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Yesterday morning I got creamed by a right-turn-against-red-light
> > driver (legal in Calif), as I crossed an intersection on my bike.
> > Witnesses who stopped to help me said that the driver was clearly in
> > the wrong.  Now, 24 hours later, I can't shake this cloud over my
> > head, how could someone hurt a stranger so badly, and just drive away,
> > leaving me bleeding in the street?  I feel like the Sopranos worked me
> > over with baseball bats, but worse was my 11-year old son's reaction
> > when he saw me...he's afraid he's going to lose his Dad, and all of a
> > sudden I'm not so sure I ever want to ride again.  Really, I was lucky
> > this time, I'm alive, though scraped and bruised, but how can I
> > continue an activity I love so much when it might get me killed next
> > time?

> > Wondering,
> > ABS

> Snap out of it !!!
>
> You're alive aren't you.  Show your son how a man deals with
> adversity.
>
> I'm sorry you got creamed but try to find something positive here,
> like how well you can recover from this.
>
> Best wishes.
>
> Lewis.
>
> *****

What he said.

Plus don't let this a-hole who left you there ruin your life. He
almost took yours by force, don't give it to him now.

Joseph

In article <6db5fa18-c0c5-40bf-b2e8-f839c4c2c64c@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
[email protected] writes:
> Yesterday morning I got creamed by a right-turn-against-red-light
> driver (legal in Calif), as I crossed an intersection on my bike.

I can imagine only two scenarios. Either you were rear-ended
just after you rode through through the intersection and
the right-turning car turned into you
-*-
or
-*-
you tried to pass the right-turning car on the car's
right side just as the driver was making his/her turn.

If the latter is the case, that's a really, really
dumb move, and it's a good thing the vehicle that
hit you wasn't a bus or a cement truck or a
semi-trailer rig, or else you'd be squashed like a bug.
And such passing on the right is in many jurisdictions
an unlawful manouever, and rightly so. Even on
apparenty gentle right-hand curves it's a bad idea
to be on the right-hand sides of large trucks & buses.

If the former is the case, you've gotta move somewhat
away from the curb, toward the line where the motorized
traffic is, because that's where right-turning/merging
drivers are looking for what to avoid hitting. A big
part of being visible involves being where people are
looking.

It also helps to have enough patience to not take chances
on stale yellow traffic lights, or even stale greens.
But that seems to be asking a lot of so many people.

> Witnesses who stopped to help me said that the driver was clearly in
> the wrong. Now, 24 hours later, I can't shake this cloud over my
> head, how could someone hurt a stranger so badly, and just drive away,
> leaving me bleeding in the street?

It sucks that so many people are heartless. That condition
appears to be symptomatic of car addiction.

> I feel like the Sopranos worked me
> over with baseball bats,

I feel like that too, but that's just from
my job :)

> but worse was my 11-year old son's reaction
> when he saw me...he's afraid he's going to lose his Dad, and all of a
> sudden I'm not so sure I ever want to ride again.

Do, or don't. It's up to you. Your choice, your values.

> Really, I was lucky
> this time, I'm alive, though scraped and bruised, but how can I
> continue an activity I love so much when it might get me killed next
> time?

You continue the activity you love by learning from
your experience and being more careful.

It's not about placing blame on people -- it's
about learning what conditions to avoid, and then
consciencously avoiding them. When we learn the
hard way, we're definitely doing something wrong.

At any rate, it's eminently possible to ride without
being clobbered. All it takes is to not stick one's
self in harm's way for the sake of pride or impatience.

How's your bike?

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

<[email protected]> wrote in message
> Yesterday morning I got creamed by a right-turn-against-red-light
> driver (legal in Calif), as I crossed an intersection on my bike.
> Witnesses who stopped to help me said that the driver was clearly in
> the wrong. Now, 24 hours later, I can't shake this cloud over my
> head, how could someone hurt a stranger so badly, and just drive away,
> leaving me bleeding in the street? I feel like the Sopranos worked me
> over with baseball bats, but worse was my 11-year old son's reaction
> when he saw me...he's afraid he's going to lose his Dad, and all of a
> sudden I'm not so sure I ever want to ride again. Really, I was lucky
> this time, I'm alive, though scraped and bruised, but how can I
> continue an activity I love so much when it might get me killed next
> time?
>
> Wondering,

Last week my husband succumbed to lymphoma, leaving behind two daughters,
the youngest 13. At his memorial his many, many friends (including his very
close biking buddies) emphasized again and again that despite his life being
short it was full and he lived it fearlessly. My daughters and I will be
okay, mostly because he taught them not to fear life, but to grasp it.
"Carpe Diem!"

The day after his funeral I went road biking. If its your time, its your
time. But spend the time you have wisely. I say, get out on your bike.

On Feb 9, 12:50 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> I can imagine only two scenarios.  Either you were rear-ended
> just after you rode through through the intersection and
> the right-turning car turned into you
> -*-
>         or
> -*-
> you tried to pass the right-turning car on the car's
> right side just as the driver was making his/her turn.

Tom - Surprise, there's one more case, driver doesn't want to wait for
green light and turns right on red, which is legal as long as you
don't run over a pedestrian, a cyclist, or another car.
I can usually freeze these drivers with eye-contact, but before I
could even look at this one they just floored it, maybe thinking 'I'm
faster than that bike..' So I'm following the bike lane line through
the intersection and the pickup came off the line in an arc and nailed
me with their front left quarter panel. To make this harder to
describe, they have two right turn lanes there, so the truck was in
what I'd call the middle lane.

> It also helps to have enough patience to not take chances
> on stale yellow traffic lights, or even stale greens.
> But that seems to be asking a lot of so many people.

Yup, it was a stale green, but in this case, given this particular
driver I think the only thing that could have saved me was a line of
cars moving in my direction, like a pulling guard who intimidates the
linebackers into leaving the running back alone.

> At any rate, it's eminently possible to ride without
> being clobbered.  All it takes is to not stick one's
> self in harm's way for the sake of pride or impatience.

Hmmm, I'm still thinking that over.

> How's your bike?

Front wheel slightly tacoesque, drop bars have a new bend on the left,
both derails seem untouched, and the firemen rescued my ride-along
mini-monkey from the middle of the street, all 3 strobes continued to
flash through it all.
Thanks for the thoughts... I'm going to sit here for awhile and think
about getting up and walking to the livingroom...later.
ABS

[email protected] aka Alan Stew wrote:
> On Feb 9, 12:50 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
>> I can imagine only two scenarios. Either you were rear-ended
>> just after you rode through through the intersection and
>> the right-turning car turned into you
>> -*-
>> or
>> -*-
>> you tried to pass the right-turning car on the car's
>> right side just as the driver was making his/her turn.

> Tom - Surprise, there's one more case, driver doesn't want to wait for
> green light and turns right on red, which is legal as long as you
> don't run over a pedestrian, a cyclist, or another car.
> I can usually freeze these drivers with eye-contact, but before I
> could even look at this one they just floored it, maybe thinking 'I'm
> faster than that bike..' So I'm following the bike lane line through
> the intersection and the pickup came off the line in an arc and nailed
> me with their front left quarter panel. To make this harder to
> describe, they have two right turn lanes there, so the truck was in
> what I'd call the middle lane.
>
>> It also helps to have enough patience to not take chances
>> on stale yellow traffic lights, or even stale greens.
>> But that seems to be asking a lot of so many people.

> Yup, it was a stale green, but in this case, given this particular
> driver I think the only thing that could have saved me was a line of
> cars moving in my direction, like a pulling guard who intimidates the
> linebackers into leaving the running back alone....

This is one reason why I prefer to ride on fairly busy streets - the
motor vehicle traffic going my direction provides some protection
against cagers pulling out in front of me.

Man up dude. You took a hit and your boy needs to see walk it off.
Otherwise hemay be in danger of turning gay

On Feb 9, 11:41 am, [email protected] wrote:
> Yesterday morning I got creamed by a right-turn-against-red-light
> driver (legal in Calif), as I crossed an intersection on my bike.
> Witnesses who stopped to help me said that the driver was clearly in
> the wrong.  Now, 24 hours later, I can't shake this cloud over my
> head, how could someone hurt a stranger so badly, and just drive away,
> leaving me bleeding in the street?  I feel like the Sopranos worked me
> over with baseball bats, but worse was my 11-year old son's reaction
> when he saw me...he's afraid he's going to lose his Dad, and all of a
> sudden I'm not so sure I ever want to ride again.  Really, I was lucky
> this time, I'm alive, though scraped and bruised, but how can I
> continue an activity I love so much when it might get me killed next
> time?
>
> Wondering,
> ABS

[email protected] top-moronic posted:

> Man up dude. You took a hit and your boy needs to see walk it off.
> Otherwise hemay be in danger of turning gay

Little Jimmy Buttpacker sets the asswipe bar to a new high. LOL

> If the latter is the case, that's a really, really dumb move,
> and [blah blah blah blah blah blah blah].

=v= Typical. Every time somebody is wronged by a motorist, we
get the same old blather about how it's probably the bicyclist's
fault all over again. GMAFB.

=v= Hit-and-run is a criminal offense, but clearly not worthy
of as much attention as even the barest hint of a whisper of the
remote possibility of less than 100% compliance with Holy Writ.
<_Jym_>

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 14:29:25 -0800 (PST), [email protected]
concluded
\
>Thanks for the thoughts... I'm going to sit here for awhile and think
>about getting up and walking to the livingroom...later.

The hardest shock to get over is the fact that the reptile driving
didn't care enough about your life to stop and offer assistance.

Get used to it and take them for what they are. . . scum.
--
zk

Alan asks

>Really, I was lucky this time, I'm alive, though scraped
>and bruised, but how can I continue an activity I
>love so much when it might get me killed next
>time?

I've been a motorcyclist and a truck driver for nearly 40 years. Both
endeavors have taught me to expect the unexpected.

I'm by no means excusing the POS who ran you over. However I do
believe you could have prevented this accident.
Michigan has what we call the "turn right on red" law so I believe I
am familiar with the traffic situation you've described.

I'm glad your injuries are not life threatening. As soon as you and
the bike are able, RIDE!

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

"Cathy Kearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> Last week my husband succumbed to lymphoma, leaving behind two daughters,
> the youngest 13. At his memorial his many, many friends (including his
> very close biking buddies) emphasized again and again that despite his
> life being short it was full and he lived it fearlessly. My daughters and
> I will be okay, mostly because he taught them not to fear life, but to
> grasp it. "Carpe Diem!"
>
> The day after his funeral I went road biking. If its your time, its your
> time. But spend the time you have wisely. I say, get out on your bike.

My sympathy and wishes for whatever recovery is possible. You sound like a
strong and well-grounded lady.
Best wishes.

- Skip

Why do you think I spent most of m life trying to get out of California?

'Nuff said.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 08:41:00 -0800, alanstew wrote:
> Yesterday morning I got creamed by a right-turn-against-red-light
> driver (legal in Calif), as I crossed an intersection on my bike.
> Witnesses who stopped to help me said that the driver was clearly in
> the wrong. Now, 24 hours later, I can't shake this cloud over my
> head, how could someone hurt a stranger so badly, and just drive away,
> leaving me bleeding in the street? I feel like the Sopranos worked me
> over with baseball bats, but worse was my 11-year old son's reaction
> when he saw me...he's afraid he's going to lose his Dad, and all of a
> sudden I'm not so sure I ever want to ride again. Really, I was lucky
> this time, I'm alive, though scraped and bruised, but how can I
> continue an activity I love so much when it might get me killed next
> time?

Because, unfortunately, there are a certain number of people who believe
in the 30th Amendment, which simply states:

"Neither Congress, nor the legislature of any state, shall enact any law
limiting the speed at which vehicles may travel." [0]

I run into this **** all the time while driving. (strangely I've not had
much trouble with speed bullies while cycling. "not much trouble", not
"no trouble".)

[0] (see
http://www.archives.gov/national-archives-experience/charters/constitution_amendments_11-27.html )

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 08:41:00 -0800 (PST), [email protected] wrote:

>Yesterday morning I got creamed by a right-turn-against-red-light
>driver (legal in Calif), as I crossed an intersection on my bike.
>Witnesses who stopped to help me said that the driver was clearly in
>the wrong. Now, 24 hours later, I can't shake this cloud over my
>head, how could someone hurt a stranger so badly, and just drive away,
>leaving me bleeding in the street? I feel like the Sopranos worked me
>over with baseball bats, but worse was my 11-year old son's reaction
>when he saw me...he's afraid he's going to lose his Dad, and all of a
>sudden I'm not so sure I ever want to ride again. Really, I was lucky
>this time, I'm alive, though scraped and bruised, but how can I
>continue an activity I love so much when it might get me killed next
>time?
>
>Wondering,
>ABS

Sorry to hear that happened. I've found that, typically it takes maybe
10 days to get your nerve back. It's similar to the 'loss of nerve'
(or PTSD) that you get if you're in a non-trivial car accident, or if
you just fall on the bike and have a small to moderate injury.

You might consider going out for your first ride somewhere that you
know is safe, maybe some low speed riding on a bike trail for a couple
days. That way you won't have two obstacles to overcome at the same
time - 1) just getting back on the bike and 2) riding on the road.

Of course, bike trail riding is not without hazards, but it's a start.

Begin by taking the bike in for repair (which is a third obstacle).
The urge may be to leave it bent and battered in the garage.

IOW, make it back by taking small steps.

Oh, yeah, one thing I've been doing is actually puttng a camera on the
bike. I figure if the drivers do anything, that way you may get a
record of it. I use an inexpensive cam and a battery recharger. It's
good for about 30min. It's actually kind of fun to review your ride
later

Good luck!

Cathy Kearns wrote:

> Last week my husband succumbed to lymphoma, leaving behind two
> daughters, the youngest 13. At his memorial his many, many friends
> (including his very close biking buddies) emphasized again and again
> that despite his life being short it was full and he lived it
> fearlessly. My daughters and I will be okay, mostly because he taught
> them not to fear life, but to grasp it. "Carpe Diem!"
>
> The day after his funeral I went road biking. If its your time, its
> your time. But spend the time you have wisely. I say, get out on your
> bike.

My condolences. Thanks for sharing the perspective, it's a valuable one.