Nascar versus cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tony Austn

It should be called RedneckCAR. Anyway, I think the reason why cycling is not as huge in America as
RedneckCAR is that promoters can't sell tickets to it even though cycling events bring out just as
many people to watch.

In Japan Kirin racing is way popular

Tony Austn <[email protected]_screw_spam>

> Anyway, I think the reason why cycling is not as huge in America as RedneckCAR is that promoters
> can't sell tickets to it even though cycling events bring out just as many people to watch.

Oh, so that's why.

You must be a troll ... but I'll feed you anyway ... NASCAR is popular with tons of people, coast to
coast, why do you think so many events are moving west?? Once people can figure out how to make
money on the sport of cycling it will grow ... also, unless you are in a cycling friendly community,
you're hosed ... i ride in Northeast Atlanta area and it's nuts ... no bike lane and people on
average drive 15mph over the posted speed limit.

As for NASCAR being "redneck" ... what current event is being broadcast between hunting and fishing
shows anyway?? They are not showing an event live because it would preempt some of their award
winning gun shows ... even though that event is the final after a month of long racing!! ... i say
this years Tour is a stage, way too much drama to be real ... Lance crashes and wins a stage ... Jan
crashes and hands lance the win ... Beloki crashes and almost takes Lance out ... Hamilton pulls off
a huge solo win ... ummmm just need to ...ummmm change the interviews ... ummmm to make it more like
Hulk Hogan's!! Then you'd get coverage!! "I pity the fool who tries to crash in front of me again
..." ... Get Muz out there punching the riders ... or forcing them off the road ... yea then ABC
will pick it up.

As a final note ... i love visiting EPX, can pick up some cool carbon stuff direct from the importer
and they are right next to the Home Depot #20 car's home base ... they have a HOT shop!!

s http://boardnbike.com

"Tony Austn" <[email protected]_screw_spam> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It should be called RedneckCAR. Anyway, I think the reason why cycling is not as huge in America
> as RedneckCAR is that promoters can't sell tickets to it even though cycling events bring out just
> as many people to watch.
>
> In Japan Kirin racing is way popular

I think it is because people in the US are too fat to ride bikes. Lets face
it....look around. People in the US can relate better to talentless people that can press a gas
petal. Oh, you don't think it is talentless? Well, what other sport has ALL the racers sons
taking over for their fathers. Jack Nickolaus's son couldn't make it. There are a couple baseball
players sons, but certainly not many made the cut. NASCAR, all the sons can do it, because it
takes NO talent, just a great sponsor. Biking in races is amazing. I can't watch the final day of
the Tour here in Pittsburgh because they are going to just air some sort of recap later in the
day. I am not too happy over that, being that I was looking forward to watching it.

Enjoy, Curt

> It should be called RedneckCAR. Anyway, I think the reason why cycling is not as huge in America
> as RedneckCAR is that promoters can't sell tickets to it even though cycling events bring out just
>

>

I think the imagine of NASCAR as a redneck event (I have a tough time calling a sport) is quite
outdated. You will find people of all socioeconomic classes and political persuasions at NASCAR
events. Events are held in NH and Vegas to name a couple out of the "Bible belt". It does have a
history of Southern domination and begin in the South.

Betting helps make Keirin exciting in Japan. Betting makes football and the NCAA basketball
tournament more popular in the US.

Car racing has been popular, I believe, because Americans have had a love affair with cars going
back to the early part of the 20th century (was not always that way, but that is another story).
Also, I think everyone over the age of 16 thinks of themselves as being able to do that. How often
here do posters falsely think that anyone can drive in a circle and turn left? That same argument
can be made about bicycling--anyone (except one of my nieces) can ride a bike.

NASCAR has only recently been as widely popular as it is now.

"curt" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I think it is because people in the US are too fat to ride bikes. Lets face it....look around.
> People in the US can relate better to talentless people that can press a gas petal. Oh, you don't
> think it is talentless? Well, what other sport has ALL the racers sons taking over for their
> fathers. Jack Nickolaus's son couldn't make it. There are a couple baseball players sons, but
> certainly not many made the cut. NASCAR, all the sons can do it, because it takes NO talent, just
> a great sponsor. Biking in races is amazing. I can't watch the final day of the Tour here in
> Pittsburgh because they are going to just air some sort of recap later in the day. I am not too
> happy over that, being that I was looking forward to watching it.
>
> Enjoy, Curt
>
> "Tony Austn" <[email protected]_screw_spam> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> It should be called RedneckCAR. Anyway, I think the reason why cycling is not as huge in America
>> as RedneckCAR is that promoters can't sell tickets to it even though cycling events bring out
>> just as many people to watch.
>>
>> In Japan Kirin racing is way popular
>
>
>

ok think about it. USA-cars are god. Nascar looks like what you drive everyday Bikes are things that
slow down you in you car.

so in your 'free time' you watch cars-gives americians warm feeling- not cyclists

The NYT article that has been posted several times points out that the promoter of the TDF required
OLN to sell some of the time to a major network in order to get the deal. Sounds like OLN figured
better to be able to provide 196 (I read that figure) of air time (counting replays obviously) than
nothing. I for one am glad to make that trade off.

It was also good to see that the deal was extended to the end of the decade.

"smiles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> You must be a troll ... but I'll feed you anyway ... NASCAR is popular
with
> tons of people, coast to coast, why do you think so many events are moving west?? Once people can
> figure out how to make money on the sport of
cycling
> it will grow ... also, unless you are in a cycling friendly community, you're hosed ... i ride in
> Northeast Atlanta area and it's nuts ... no
bike
> lane and people on average drive 15mph over the posted speed limit.
>
> As for NASCAR being "redneck" ... what current event is being broadcast between hunting and
> fishing shows anyway?? They are not showing an event live because it would preempt some of their
> award winning gun shows ...
even
> though that event is the final after a month of long racing!! ... i say
this
> years Tour is a stage, way too much drama to be real ... Lance crashes and wins a stage ... Jan
> crashes and hands lance the win ... Beloki crashes
and
> almost takes Lance out ... Hamilton pulls off a huge solo win ... ummmm
just
> need to ...ummmm change the interviews ... ummmm to make it more like Hulk Hogan's!! Then you'd
> get coverage!! "I pity the fool who tries to crash in front of me again ..." ... Get Muz out there
> punching the riders ... or forcing them off the road ... yea then
ABC
> will pick it up.
>
> As a final note ... i love visiting EPX, can pick up some cool carbon
stuff
> direct from the importer and they are right next to the Home Depot #20
car's
> home base ... they have a HOT shop!!
>
> s http://boardnbike.com
>
> > It should be called RedneckCAR. Anyway, I think the reason why cycling is not as huge in America
> > as RedneckCAR is that promoters can't sell tickets to it even though cycling events bring out
> > just as many people to watch.
> >
> > In Japan Kirin racing is way popular
>
>

I think they are talented in what they do. One reason they might be better is that they grow up in
auto racing so their development might be advanced.

I will not argue that their connections do not hurt, but If they do not win (or at least make
money), they will be out pretty soon.

Few drivers have outside endorsement deals (the same with golfers) that pay huge sums of money. They
have to produce to stay around.

"curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I think it is because people in the US are too fat to ride bikes. Lets
face
> it....look around. People in the US can relate better to talentless
people
> that can press a gas petal. Oh, you don't think it is talentless? Well, what other sport has ALL
> the racers sons taking over for their fathers. Jack Nickolaus's son couldn't make it. There are a
> couple baseball
players
> sons, but certainly not many made the cut. NASCAR, all the sons can do
it,
> because it takes NO talent, just a great sponsor. Biking in races is amazing. I can't watch the
> final day of the Tour here in Pittsburgh
because
> they are going to just air some sort of recap later in the day. I am not too happy over that,
> being that I was looking forward to watching it.
>
> Enjoy, Curt
>
> > It should be called RedneckCAR. Anyway, I think the reason why cycling is not as huge in America
> > as RedneckCAR is that promoters can't sell tickets to it even though cycling events bring out
> >

You have got to be kidding. Pro golfers, baseball players, tennis players and whatever elses son's
grow up around the sport their professional dad's are playing. NASCAR drivers are a dime a dozen.
You can find anyone to do it really. There is no talent involved or very little.

Racing a bike for days is not something most any person can do. These guys are amazing....who could
ever say that about a NASCAR driver. They are not amazing in any way. They sit in a car and drive. I
guess that is why it is so popular. Americans think they are like them when they drive down the road
or something. I personally think NASCAR is boring. Now if you want to watch drivers that don't just
go around in a circle, watch Formula one. Those guys at least have to drive.

Curt

"Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I think they are talented in what they do. One reason they might be better is that they grow up in
> auto racing so their development might be advanced.
>
> I will not argue that their connections do not hurt, but If they do not
win
> (or at least make money), they will be out pretty soon.
>
> Few drivers have outside endorsement deals (the same with golfers) that
pay
> huge sums of money. They have to produce to stay around.
>
>
> "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I think it is because people in the US are too fat to ride bikes. Lets
> face
> > it....look around. People in the US can relate better to talentless
> people
> > that can press a gas petal. Oh, you don't think it is talentless?
Well,
> > what other sport has ALL the racers sons taking over for their fathers. Jack Nickolaus's son
> > couldn't make it. There are a couple baseball
> players
> > sons, but certainly not many made the cut. NASCAR, all the sons can do
> it,
> > because it takes NO talent, just a great sponsor. Biking in races is amazing. I can't watch the
> > final day of the Tour here in Pittsburgh
> because
> > they are going to just air some sort of recap later in the day. I am
not
> > too happy over that, being that I was looking forward to watching it.
> >
> > Enjoy, Curt
> >
> > "Tony Austn" <[email protected]_screw_spam> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > It should be called RedneckCAR. Anyway, I think the reason why
cycling
> > > is not as huge in America as RedneckCAR is that promoters can't sell tickets to it even though
> > > cycling events bring out just as many people to watch.
> > >
> > > In Japan Kirin racing is way popular
> >
>

>
> >
>
> I think the imagine of NASCAR as a redneck event (I have a tough time calling a sport) is
> quite outdated. You will find people of all socioeconomic classes and political persuasions at
> NASCAR events.

One thing they have in common: Fatties, all of them.

>

Kirin is a very good Japanese beer.

Keirin is a form of track bicycle racing where fans can legally wager on each race.

Dashii

In article <[email protected]>, "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >
>
> Kirin is a very good Japanese beer.
>
> Keirin is a form of track bicycle racing where fans can legally wager on each race.
>
> Dashii

My bad! Is Keirin fun to bet on and do they serve beer? If so, bring to an Indian reservation so we
can watch and bet!

I guess everyone has their biases. I will give F1 drivers their due.

I would say not everyone can do it. Again, people in the US say that about riding a bike as well.

> You have got to be kidding. Pro golfers, baseball players, tennis players and whatever elses son's
> grow up around the sport their professional dad's are playing. NASCAR drivers are a dime a dozen.
> You can find anyone to
do
> it really. There is no talent involved or very little.
>
> Racing a bike for days is not something most any person can do. These
guys
> are amazing....who could ever say that about a NASCAR driver. They are
not
> amazing in any way. They sit in a car and drive. I guess that is why it
is
> so popular. Americans think they are like them when they drive down the road or something. I
> personally think NASCAR is boring. Now if you want
to
> watch drivers that don't just go around in a circle, watch Formula one. Those guys at least have
> to drive.
>
> Curt
>
> "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I think they are talented in what they do. One reason they might be better is that they grow up
> > in auto racing so their development might be advanced.
> >
> > I will not argue that their connections do not hurt, but If they do not
> win
> > (or at least make money), they will be out pretty soon.
> >
> > Few drivers have outside endorsement deals (the same with golfers) that
> pay
> > huge sums of money. They have to produce to stay around.
> >
> >
> > "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > I think it is because people in the US are too fat to ride bikes.
Lets
> > face
> > > it....look around. People in the US can relate better to talentless
> > people
> > > that can press a gas petal. Oh, you don't think it is talentless?
> Well,
> > > what other sport has ALL the racers sons taking over for their
fathers.
> > > Jack Nickolaus's son couldn't make it. There are a couple baseball
> > players
> > > sons, but certainly not many made the cut. NASCAR, all the sons can
do
> > it,
> > > because it takes NO talent, just a great sponsor. Biking in races is amazing. I can't watch
> > > the final day of the Tour here in Pittsburgh
> > because
> > > they are going to just air some sort of recap later in the day. I am
> not
> > > too happy over that, being that I was looking forward to watching it.
> > >
> > > Enjoy, Curt
> > >
> > > "Tony Austn" <[email protected]_screw_spam> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > > It should be called RedneckCAR. Anyway, I think the reason why
> cycling
> > > > is not as huge in America as RedneckCAR is that promoters can't sell tickets to it even
> > > > though cycling events bring out just as many
people
> > > > to watch.
> > > >
> > > > In Japan Kirin racing is way popular
> > >
> > >
> >
>

Sure most everyone can ride a bike, but I don't think too many people can ride the Tour de France,
or most any race for that matter. That takes real talent and tremendous work.

> I guess everyone has their biases. I will give F1 drivers their due.
>
> I would say not everyone can do it. Again, people in the US say that
about
> riding a bike as well.
>
>
> "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > You have got to be kidding. Pro golfers, baseball players, tennis
players
> > and whatever elses son's grow up around the sport their professional
dad's
> > are playing. NASCAR drivers are a dime a dozen. You can find anyone to
> do
> > it really. There is no talent involved or very little.
> >
> > Racing a bike for days is not something most any person can do. These
> guys
> > are amazing....who could ever say that about a NASCAR driver. They are
> not
> > amazing in any way. They sit in a car and drive. I guess that is why
it
> is
> > so popular. Americans think they are like them when they drive down the road or something. I
> > personally think NASCAR is boring. Now if you
want
> to
> > watch drivers that don't just go around in a circle, watch Formula one. Those guys at least have
> > to drive.
> >
> > Curt
> >
> > "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > I think they are talented in what they do. One reason they might be better is that they grow
> > > up in auto racing so their development might
be
> > > advanced.
> > >
> > > I will not argue that their connections do not hurt, but If they do
not
> > win
> > > (or at least make money), they will be out pretty soon.
> > >
> > > Few drivers have outside endorsement deals (the same with golfers)
that
> > pay
> > > huge sums of money. They have to produce to stay around.
> > >
> > >
> > > "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > > I think it is because people in the US are too fat to ride bikes.
> Lets
> > > face
> > > > it....look around. People in the US can relate better to talentless
> > > people
> > > > that can press a gas petal. Oh, you don't think it is talentless?
> > Well,
> > > > what other sport has ALL the racers sons taking over for their
> fathers.
> > > > Jack Nickolaus's son couldn't make it. There are a couple baseball
> > > players
> > > > sons, but certainly not many made the cut. NASCAR, all the sons can
> do
> > > it,
> > > > because it takes NO talent, just a great sponsor. Biking in races
is
> > > > amazing. I can't watch the final day of the Tour here in Pittsburgh
> > > because
> > > > they are going to just air some sort of recap later in the day. I
am
> > not
> > > > too happy over that, being that I was looking forward to watching
it.
> > > >
> > > > Enjoy, Curt
> > > >
> > > > "Tony Austn" <[email protected]_screw_spam> wrote in message
> > > > news:[email protected]...
> > > > > It should be called RedneckCAR. Anyway, I think the reason why
> > cycling
> > > > > is not as huge in America as RedneckCAR is that promoters can't
sell
> > > > > tickets to it even though cycling events bring out just as many
> people
> > > > > to watch.
> > > > >
> > > > > In Japan Kirin racing is way popular
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
>

Tony Austn <[email protected]_screw_spam> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

I don't know if the black guy in the office next to me would appreciate being called a redneck.
He's the biggest NASCAR fan I know. The guy has Awsome Bill From Dawsonville paraphernalia all over
his office.

It would not exist if it were not a gambling vehicle.

**** Durbin

> People in the US can relate better to talentless people that can press a gas petal.

Uh, make that gas pedal.

I'll watch pro rally if they'll show it. Takes plenty of talent to do that.

jw milwaukee

"Jkpoulos7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> >It was also good to see that the deal was extended to the end of the
decade.
>
> So those without OLN never get to see cycling. That will sure increase its popularity.

Then contact your local cable provider and get all your friends and enemies to do it as well.

I guess that since you do not get coverage, no else should either?

I would rather have it on OLN live than the CBS "coverage".

I think that in American, watching cycling is boring. Here's a good example...

I went on vacation recently and during the evening time (about 10ish), I was watching the recent
Tour on OLN. I was totally into it because I too am a cyclist and I understand the strain and how
brilliant these cyclist are and I could relate. So I enjoyed it. My Girlfriend, on the other hand,
couldn't keep herself awake long enough to enjoy it and said it was boring. She isn't a cyclist so
she couldn't relate to it to understand how brilliant these guys are.

American's are stupid and can't stand sports without constant action and suspense. I think that
NASCAR is more about the drama behind the scenes...not just the actual sport itself. Me personally,
I can't stand watching it...but NASCAR Thunder 2003 on PS2 is pretty good. :)

> petal. Oh, you don't think it is talentless? Well, what other sport has ALL the racers sons
> taking over for their fathers. Jack Nickolaus's son couldn't make it. There are a couple
> baseball players sons, but certainly not many made the cut. NASCAR, all the sons can do it,
> because it takes NO talent, just a great sponsor. Biking in races is amazing. I can't watch
> the final day of the Tour here in Pittsburgh because they are going to just air some sort of
> recap later in the day. I am not too happy over that, being that I was looking forward to
> watching it.
>
> Enjoy, Curt
>
> >

> I think it is because people in the US are too fat to ride bikes. Lets
face
> it....look around. People in the US can relate better to talentless
people
> that can press a gas petal. Oh, you don't think it is talentless? Well, what other sport has ALL
> the racers sons taking over for their fathers.

I look at this from another view having raced motorcycles, both MX and road, I had this debate with
many ... it takes money to race and be fast ... but to be great is something more ... i have raced
world class road racers before, and I was "fast" on a local level. It was depressing how fast they
passed me ... excuse me ... how fast they lapped me:-(

What about Axel Merckx??

s http://boardnbike.com

"Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> I think the imagine of NASCAR as a redneck event (I have a tough time calling a sport) is quite
> outdated. You will find people of all socioeconomic classes and political persuasions at NASCAR
> events. Events are held in NH and Vegas to name a couple out of the "Bible belt". It does have a
> history of Southern domination and begin in the South.
>

Tom Wolfe even wrote a short story about stock car racing :

http://xroads.virginia.edu/g/DRBR/twolfe.html

Hemingway mentioned the Tour of the Pays Basque in Sun Also Rises, but it was just part of
the backdrop.

-Amit

Status
Not open for further replies.