nashbar ripoffs?

G.Daniels

Guest
Nashbar sent two $20 orders of wrong length spokes after butchering the first order leaving out
several parts but shipping the first wrong lengths. Now Nashbar does not respond to emails with the
response that technical and custserv no longer exist!! Is this a common problem with Nashbar? Or is
Nashbar wormed out?

I've always had great service from Nashbar. Call them, don't rely on email.

Kyle

"g.daniels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nashbar sent two $20 orders of wrong length spokes after butchering the first order leaving out
> several parts but shipping the first wrong lengths. Now Nashbar does not respond to emails with
> the response that technical and custserv no longer exist!! Is this a common problem with Nashbar?
> Or is Nashbar wormed out?

g.daniels <[email protected]> wrote:
> Nashbar sent two $20 orders of wrong length spokes after butchering the first order leaving out
> several parts but shipping the first wrong lengths. Now Nashbar does not respond to emails with
> the response that technical and custserv no longer exist!! Is this a common problem with Nashbar?
> Or is Nashbar wormed out?

Call them up and ask to speak to a supervisor. If you state your case clearly and use some tact,
they will usually accomodate you.

Art Harris

Many orders, never any problems

-Nate "g.daniels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nashbar sent two $20 orders of wrong length spokes after butchering the first order leaving out
> several parts but shipping the first wrong lengths. Now Nashbar does not respond to emails with
> the response that technical and custserv no longer exist!! Is this a common problem with Nashbar?
> Or is Nashbar wormed out?

>Nashbar sent two $20 orders of wrong length spokes after butchering the first order leaving out
>several parts but shipping the first wrong lengths. Now Nashbar does not respond to emails with the
>response that technical and custserv no longer exist!! Is this a common problem with Nashbar? Or is
>Nashbar wormed out?

Give them a call. It's free. I've ordered from them many times, and they have always gotten the
order right the first time or have been very quick to fix the problem.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

"g.daniels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Nashbar sent two $20 orders of wrong length spokes after
butchering
> the first order leaving out several parts but shipping the
first wrong
> lengths. Now Nashbar does not respond to emails with the
response that
> technical and custserv no longer exist!! Is this a common
problem with
> Nashbar? Or is Nashbar wormed out?

Have you tried the telephone?

Matt O.

>Have you tried the telephone?

I believe he tried the telephone but found there was not enough clearance and anyway the cord got
tangled up in just a few feet of riding. Spokes work better. <g>

Jon Isaacs

>I believe he tried the telephone but found there was not enough clearance and anyway the cord got
>tangled up in just a few feet of riding. Spokes work better. <g>

Try cordless or cellular. :)
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

They gave me a credit without shipping back the item on my first order. Took my word about my
problem. They are very good business people who seem to be very customer oriented.

I am sure if you state your case you will be treated fairly.

In my experience, Nashbar used to be a first class operation. However in recent years I have grown
wary of them. Their selection, inventory, and responsiveness leave a lot to be desired. I don't know
why. I still order from them, but they are not what they used to be.

"g.daniels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nashbar sent two $20 orders of wrong length spokes after butchering the first order leaving out
> several parts but shipping the first wrong lengths. Now Nashbar does not respond to emails with
> the response that technical and custserv no longer exist!! Is this a common problem with Nashbar?
> Or is Nashbar wormed out?

I heard that Performance bought Nashbar a few years ago and now uses Nashbar for much of its
lower-end merchandise while selling the higher-end stuff through the Performance site/catalog.

SJ

In article <[email protected]>, SJ <[email protected]> wrote:
>I heard that Performance bought Nashbar a few years ago and now uses Nashbar for much of its
>lower-end merchandise while selling the higher-end stuff through the Performance site/catalog.

I wouldn't call either of them high end, especially for the house brand products. Try Colorado
Cyclist for higher quality stuff.

ah ha!! now there's a response and not a yeti amung them. However, the 800 number does not work
from south west florida and being disabled the $ I'm out leads to total cash reserves of .75 and
one can of fish,
1/2 quart grits and no drinking water(local water is pumped from the Colossalhatchee) and no time to
break in a new wheel for a trip to WPB.WORSE !! the rim I'm running has their, and we know who
THEY are, durosnore on it and the tough little devil is taking a beating. but stupidity is
character building and we're exploring the squeeze method of getting depressions whump whump whump
from the whump rim. the moral here one amung many is that people who take orders and pick stock
then get into their nifty japanese coupes und drive home to shag walled stereos and color tv's
never remember that people are using the bicycle for transportation. thimking of the device as a
toy leads to a rather cavaleer attitude toward the customer who is either a child or a moron rich
guy.anyone have the GPS UTM on the wharehouse? how's the cover?

My use of higher-end was meant to compare the Performance vs. Nashbar offerings. Even Performance
doesn't offer many of the truly "high-end" products.
--
SJ

> In article <[email protected]>, SJ <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I heard that Performance bought Nashbar a few years ago and now uses
Nashbar
> >for much of its lower-end merchandise while selling the higher-end stuff through the Performance
> >site/catalog.
>
> I wouldn't call either of them high end, especially for the house brand products. Try Colorado
> Cyclist for higher quality stuff.

More fuel for the fire:

Performance just bought out Supergo too.

"SJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> My use of higher-end was meant to compare the Performance vs. Nashbar offerings. Even Performance
> doesn't offer many of the truly "high-end" products.
> --
> SJ

> > In article <[email protected]>, SJ <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >I heard that Performance bought Nashbar a few years ago and now uses
> Nashbar
> > >for much of its lower-end merchandise while selling the higher-end
stuff
> > >through the Performance site/catalog.
> >
> > I wouldn't call either of them high end, especially for the house brand products. Try Colorado
> > Cyclist for higher quality stuff.

I think there's a lesson here...SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL INDIE BIKE SHOP!!!

Corporate bike shops suck...Saving a few bucks on parts ain't always the best value.

That's just my opinion...of course, I could be wrong.

Dan

"Tim Garland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> More fuel for the fire:
>
> Performance just bought out Supergo too.
>
> "SJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> > My use of higher-end was meant to compare the Performance vs. Nashbar offerings. Even
> > Performance doesn't offer many of the truly "high-end" products.
> > --
> > SJ
> >

> > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Nashbar
> stuff
> > >
> > > I wouldn't call either of them high end, especially for the house
brand
> > > products. Try Colorado Cyclist for higher quality stuff.

I agree with your sentiment regarding supporting your LBS. I purchase parts from my LBS's whenever
reasonably possible. However, when I'm told that the LBS's distributor cost for a DA 9sp right
brake/shift lever is $198 and I can get both levers plus cables, etc. for $199 from Performance, the
choice is simple. If the distributors would stop screwing the LBS's and the manufacturers (Shimano,
etc.) would stop practically giving their products to Performance, maybe the prices at our local
LBS's would come down much closer to Performance, etc. prices.
--
SJ

"daanimal900" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I think there's a lesson here...SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL INDIE BIKE SHOP!!!
>
> Corporate bike shops suck...Saving a few bucks on parts ain't always the best value.
>
> That's just my opinion...of course, I could be wrong.
>
> Dan
>

> "Tim Garland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > More fuel for the fire:
> >
> > Performance just bought out Supergo too.
> >
> > "SJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> > > My use of higher-end was meant to compare the Performance vs. Nashbar offerings. Even
> > > Performance doesn't offer many of the truly "high-end" products.
> > > --
> > > SJ

> > > Nashbar
> > stuff

> brand

Some of us poor students could never own bikes if it was not for companies like nashbar. Many items
at the bike shop sell for up to 40% more than in nashbar. So if you can afford it, buy local. If
not, GO NASHBAR!

Just my opinion,

Nate

"Nate" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Some of us poor students could never own bikes if it was not for companies like nashbar.

You might think this, but it is not true. For example, I bought a great bike 5 or 6 years ago for
$300. I rode the hell outa that bike and sold it for $300. How much value has your stuff retained?

> Many items at the bike shop sell for up to 40% more than in nashbar. So if you can afford it, buy
> local. If not, GO NASHBAR!

Yes, you can buy cheap at Nashbar, et. al. That doesn't mean you're getting a good deal. Don't
forget to factor in the poor service typical of mailorder. There's only so much you can do on the
phone, and most who answer those phones don't know about that which they're selling. How about the
follow-up service you'd normally get at a shop? How about actually being able to hold the parts and
examining them for yourself?

<rambling rant follows>

I'm sorry to say that rock-bottom price joints also cheapen the industry (I'm sorry 'cause I'm in
that industry). This "No-one will beat our price" **** is getting ridiculous. I have customers,
and know of people who'll spend hours shopping to save $3.

Imagine a world without bike shops. There would be only mail order joints. That'd suck.

> Just my opinion,

Just stick to the facts, son! ;-)

Robin Hubert