Nasty Chain Tangle

the_ryder

Aug 22, 2005
Hey All -
Today I was riding on Sunset Blvd in LA when my chain came off - I thought alright this happens every once in while - so I stop to put it back on. Somehow the part of the chain that feeds over the top of the chain ring wedged itself below the chain stay and I can't pry it back with hand strength. How the hell do I get that sucker unstuck?

Ideas I had so far:
1)Taking off the crank - prob. doable but kind of annoying
2) Isn't there one link on the chain that comes undone? -only problem is that part of the chain may be the part subducted underneath the chain stay.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

cheers,
matt

Yank your crank, easiest option. Chain may have a powerlink, but probably not. Look at each link and if so you'll notice one rather different looking which enables you to slide to 2 ends together to release.

I found someone on the bike path with the same problem. a Giant Perigee with the chain firmly stuck behind the inner chainring. He wheeled it to my home where I used my Crank Extractor to pop the chainwheel. A quick adjustment of the low derailleur screw and remove a small amount of cable slack cured the problem. If he had had it serviced it would not have happened.

I noticed that where the chain was subducted it left a pretty bad gash in the chain stay tube - is there anything I can do about that?

cheers,
matt