Nasty crash

YannisG

Aug 31, 2004
I am describing this crash to show some hidden dangers of impaired line of vision, and the seriousness of wearing a helmet.
I was 10 minutes away from home after coming back from town. I was going straight while approaching a road on my right that had a stop sign (I had the right-of-way). There were two cars side-by-side waiting at the stop sign. The car on the left was going to make a left turn and the car on the right a right turn. As I was coming I made eye contact with the car waiting to make a left turn, but couldn't do the same with the other car waiting to turn right because the line of vision was blocked by the car waiting to turn left. The result was as I was passing both cars I heard the car turning right accelerate and then heard the "bang" as it hit by rear wheel and threw me off the bike. This driver had not looked carefully, and hadn't seen me coming. I ended up in the hospital with 4 broken ribs, a clavicle fracture, and a memory lapse. My helmet was damaged. Probably without a helmet I would have had a fractured scull. The helmet saved me.

Any comments on dealing with situation like these?

YannisG

Wow, did this just happen recently? If so, I hope you get better quickly.

For myself, even if I have the right of way I will stop and wait for the car to go first if I have reason to believe that the driver hasn't seen me, or if I can't see them clearly.

I often have issues with drivers that are making a right turn at a red light or a stop sign.

They pull up to the intersection quickly, glance to their left to check for cars and if they don't see any cars, they go ahead and turn. Often without coming to a full stop.

I think when they are looking for cars ( and sometimes they don't see the cars ) it's pretty easy to miss seeing a cyclist, and I also think that they often mis-judge how fast that cyclist is moving.

This happened last Tuesday. I'm on my way to recovery. Thanks for yr wishes.

I agree with yr comments, but its hard to keep slowing down at each intersection when you have the right-of-way. I wasn't going that fast 25 to 28 kph either.

YannisG

Well, I do hope you have a full and quick recovery.

I agree, it can be very frustrating slowing way down for every intersection. On some rides it seems like I just hit all of the traffic lights right, the drivers I meet all make eye contact, and my ride goes very smoothly.

But, I can ride the same route the very next day and every traffic light will be red, none of the drivers are paying attention, and every person I meet is walking a big dog on a 40 foot long leash.. :(

Sorry to hear about your accidents..Best thing to do is don't expect the car drivers to do what is right. Expect them to pull out in front of you and you'll be prepaired. I have this happen all the time to me and I usually just let them go first by waiting for them to make the first move. Better safe and late than sorry..They also need to crack down on crazy car drivers..Also make sure that you are on the correct side of the road..Go with the flow of traffic. I seen a guy get hit because he was on the wrong side going the wrong way..Cheers..Keithmj :D

Daytime (flashing if permitted) front lights might help prevent at least a few such collisions.

Where possible, I try to ride a little further away from the kerb that most cyclists. Not too much that I get too close to traffic or cause a hinderance to other road users but motorists tend to look more for other motor vehicles so their first thoughts are always towards the middle of each lane - not too a person on a 18lb bike riding in the gutter.