Road Cycling · Public discussion

Nearly got hit by.....boat trailer!

Started by Pat · · Last activity · 36 posts · 1,410 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
16 September 2004
Last activity
21 September 2004
Original author
Pat
Posts
36
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,410
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 36
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The guy driving the pickup truck passed me with plenty of room, but when he
    swung back into my lane, that ol' boat trailer swung like a bat out of hell
    and missed my left knee by about 6 inches is all! I yelled and shook my
    fist at him, but I doubt he even knew he almost wiped me right off the road.
    What is it with people pulling trailers that they don't realize the thing
    1.) sticks farther out to both sides than their pickup truck and 2.) swerves
    wildly when they swerve their truck?

    still alive, but smokin' mad....

    Pat in TX

  2. "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The guy driving the pickup truck passed me with plenty of room, but when


    he

    Quoted message said:

    swung back into my lane, that ol' boat trailer swung like a bat out of


    hell

    Quoted message said:

    and missed my left knee by about 6 inches is all! I yelled and shook my
    fist at him, but I doubt he even knew he almost wiped me right off the


    road.

    Quoted message said:

    What is it with people pulling trailers that they don't realize the thing
    1.) sticks farther out to both sides than their pickup truck and 2.)


    swerves

    Quoted message said:

    wildly when they swerve their truck?

    still alive, but smokin' mad....

    Pat in TX

    I live about 4 miles from a major recreational lake and the big state park
    where all the fishing tournaments are held. On weekends, I make sure my
    routes take me away from the lake in the mornings when boats are being towed
    towards it. If I'm out for an afternoon ride, I always try to avoid the
    roads that all the drunk Bubbas will be taking after they've been outsmarted
    by the fish. I learned quickly after I moved here that those bass boat
    trailers are a huge danger. Well, actually, it's the dumbasses towing them
    that are the huge danger, but you get the point. It's so funny to see a
    $25,000 bass rig hooked to a $35,000 pickup truck sitting in front of a
    $15,000 trailer -- all of it financed by debt and sinking in value faster
    than a lead-head jig. That's an all-too common sight where I live.

    Bob C.

  3. "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The guy driving the pickup truck passed me with plenty of room, but when


    he

    Quoted message said:

    swung back into my lane, that ol' boat trailer swung like a bat out of


    hell

    Quoted message said:

    and missed my left knee by about 6 inches is all! I yelled and shook my
    fist at him, but I doubt he even knew he almost wiped me right off the


    road.

    Quoted message said:

    What is it with people pulling trailers that they don't realize the thing
    1.) sticks farther out to both sides than their pickup truck and 2.)


    swerves

    Quoted message said:

    wildly when they swerve their truck?

    Here's a story of mine from earlier this year about nearly getting hit by a
    boat trailer:

    http://www.jimcarson.com/archives/000249.shtml

    It's the first response to Jim's blog entry regarding Flying Wheels.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    please substitute yahoo for mousepotato to reply
    Home of the meditative cyclist:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  4. psycholist wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    It's so funny to see a
    $25,000 bass rig hooked to a $35,000 pickup truck sitting in front of a
    $15,000 trailer -- all of it financed by debt and sinking in value faster
    than a lead-head jig. That's an all-too common sight where I live.

    If you're a real psychologist, then you know that fishing fits two
    definitions of insanity.

    1) Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result.
    (Thanks to my 14 YO son for pointing out the similarity on this one.)

    2) Investing $75,000 in order to catch $15 worth of fish (maybe).

    Austin
    --
    I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
    There are no X characters in my address

  5. AustinMN wrote:
    || psycholist wrote:
    || <snip>
    ||| It's so funny to see a
    ||| $25,000 bass rig hooked to a $35,000 pickup truck sitting in front
    ||| of a $15,000 trailer -- all of it financed by debt and sinking in
    ||| value faster than a lead-head jig. That's an all-too common sight
    ||| where I live.
    ||
    || If you're a real psychologist, then you know that fishing fits two
    || definitions of insanity.
    ||
    || 1) Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different
    || result. (Thanks to my 14 YO son for pointing out the similarity on
    || this one.)
    ||
    || 2) Investing $75,000 in order to catch $15 worth of fish (maybe).

    2) is not necessary. But number 1) is not unlike pedaling a bicycle many,
    many miles. 🙂

  6. "AustinMN" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    psycholist wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    It's so funny to see a
    $25,000 bass rig hooked to a $35,000 pickup truck sitting in front of a
    $15,000 trailer -- all of it financed by debt and sinking in value


    faster

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    than a lead-head jig. That's an all-too common sight where I live.

    If you're a real psychologist, then you know that fishing fits two
    definitions of insanity.

    1) Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result.
    (Thanks to my 14 YO son for pointing out the similarity on this one.)

    2) Investing $75,000 in order to catch $15 worth of fish (maybe).

    Austin
    --
    I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
    There are no X characters in my address

    I'm not a "real" psychologist. I'm a psycho - list. I believe there's a
    substantial difference, but I couldn't say for sure.

    I have to agree with Roger. Cycling is pretty much doing the same thing
    over and over and expecting a different result (to become faster). The big
    differences I see are that I'm not matching wits with a fish and what I haul
    behind me doesn't take up near as much of the road (though it's a little
    more each year).

    So Austin, how did you fare in the big flood? I have people in Owatonna and
    I hear Austin got it pretty bad. We really dodged a bullet with Ivan down
    here.

    Bob C.

  7. Roger Zoul said:

    AustinMN wrote:
    || psycholist wrote:
    || <snip>
    ||| It's so funny to see a
    ||| $25,000 bass rig hooked to a $35,000 pickup truck sitting in front
    ||| of a $15,000 trailer -- all of it financed by debt and sinking in
    ||| value faster than a lead-head jig. That's an all-too common sight
    ||| where I live.
    ||
    || If you're a real psychologist, then you know that fishing fits two
    || definitions of insanity.
    ||
    || 1) Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different
    || result. (Thanks to my 14 YO son for pointing out the similarity on
    || this one.)
    ||
    || 2) Investing $75,000 in order to catch $15 worth of fish (maybe).

    2) is not necessary. But number 1) is not unlike pedaling a bicycle many,
    many miles. 🙂


    Actually, I'd suggest that pedaling a bicycle is exactly the opposite of
    1). When I pedal my bike, I expect exactly the same result with each
    revolution of the pedals - move my bike that much further ahead.

    Jeff

  8. psycholist said:

    I'm not a "real" psychologist. I'm a psycho - list. I believe there's a
    substantial difference, but I couldn't say for sure.

    No, you'd need to be a psychologist to do that!

  9. Jeff Williams wrote:
    :: Roger Zoul wrote:
    ::
    ::: AustinMN wrote:
    ::::: psycholist wrote:
    ::::: <snip>
    :::::: It's so funny to see a
    :::::: $25,000 bass rig hooked to a $35,000 pickup truck sitting in
    :::::: front of a $15,000 trailer -- all of it financed by debt and
    :::::: sinking in value faster than a lead-head jig. That's an all-too
    :::::: common sight where I live.
    :::::
    ::::: If you're a real psychologist, then you know that fishing fits two
    ::::: definitions of insanity.
    :::::
    ::::: 1) Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different
    ::::: result. (Thanks to my 14 YO son for pointing out the similarity on
    ::::: this one.)
    :::::
    ::::: 2) Investing $75,000 in order to catch $15 worth of fish (maybe).
    :::
    ::: 2) is not necessary. But number 1) is not unlike pedaling a
    ::: bicycle many, many miles. 🙂
    :::
    :::
    :::
    :: Actually, I'd suggest that pedaling a bicycle is exactly the
    :: opposite of 1). When I pedal my bike, I expect exactly the same
    :: result with each revolution of the pedals - move my bike that much
    :: further ahead.

    🙂 Well, when people fish (based on personal experience) they do expect to
    catch something 🙂
    Else, why bother?

  10. Roger Zoul said:

    Jeff Williams wrote:
    :: Roger Zoul wrote:
    ::
    ::: AustinMN wrote:
    ::::: psycholist wrote:
    ::::: <snip>
    :::::: It's so funny to see a
    :::::: $25,000 bass rig hooked to a $35,000 pickup truck sitting in
    :::::: front of a $15,000 trailer -- all of it financed by debt and
    :::::: sinking in value faster than a lead-head jig. That's an all-too
    :::::: common sight where I live.
    :::::
    ::::: If you're a real psychologist, then you know that fishing fits two
    ::::: definitions of insanity.
    :::::
    ::::: 1) Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different
    ::::: result. (Thanks to my 14 YO son for pointing out the similarity on
    ::::: this one.)
    :::::
    ::::: 2) Investing $75,000 in order to catch $15 worth of fish (maybe).
    :::
    ::: 2) is not necessary. But number 1) is not unlike pedaling a
    ::: bicycle many, many miles. 🙂
    :::
    :::
    :::
    :: Actually, I'd suggest that pedaling a bicycle is exactly the
    :: opposite of 1). When I pedal my bike, I expect exactly the same
    :: result with each revolution of the pedals - move my bike that much
    :: further ahead.

    🙂 Well, when people fish (based on personal experience) they do expect to
    catch something 🙂
    Else, why bother?

    Right. They cast, and cast, and cast, each time catching nothing, but the
    whole while, expecting to catch something. Doing the same thing again and
    again, expecting a different result.

    Austin
    --
    I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
    There are no X characters in my address

  11. psycholist said:

    So Austin, how did you fare in the big flood? I have people in Owatonna


    and

    Quoted message said:

    I hear Austin got it pretty bad. We really dodged a bullet with Ivan down
    here.

    I'm not in Austin, I'm just north of the Twin Cities. I used to go by
    AustinBoston, but when I moved west I decided AustinMN would work. Oh, and
    I don't eat SPAM.

    Austin
    --
    I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
    There are no X characters in my address


  12. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    🙂 Well, when people fish (based on personal experience) they do expect


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    catch something 🙂
    Else, why bother?

    Right. They cast, and cast, and cast, each time catching nothing, but the
    whole while, expecting to catch something. Doing the same thing again and
    again, expecting a different result.

    Austin

    Ah, but since they can't see beneath the water, they are hoping that a fish
    is swimming closer to them each time they cast. IOW, conditions change:
    they aren't the same each time.

    Pat in TX

  13. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    🙂 Well, when people fish (based on personal experience) they do expect to
    catch something 🙂
    Else, why bother?

    Because:

    1) it's an opportunity to get out of the house and away from the wife and
    chores

    2) beer

    GG

  14. Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:25:29 -0700, <[email hidden]>,

    GaryG' garyg@shasta_SPAMBEGONE_software.com said:
    Quoted message said:

    🙂 Well, when people fish (based on personal experience) they do expect to
    catch something 🙂
    Else, why bother?

    Because:

    1) it's an opportunity to get out of the house and away from the wife and
    chores

    2) beer

    3) Golf is for wimps.
    --
    zk

  15. Quoted message said:

    Right. They cast, and cast, and cast, each time catching nothing, but the
    whole while, expecting to catch something. Doing the same thing again and
    again, expecting a different result.

    Austin

    wow, look at you, you think a person never catches anything.

  16. Pat wrote:
    |||| 🙂 Well, when people fish (based on personal experience) they do
    |||| expect to catch something 🙂
    |||| Else, why bother?
    |||
    ||| Right. They cast, and cast, and cast, each time catching nothing,
    ||| but the whole while, expecting to catch something. Doing the same
    ||| thing again and again, expecting a different result.
    |||
    ||| Austin
    ||
    || Ah, but since they can't see beneath the water, they are hoping that
    || a fish is swimming closer to them each time they cast. IOW,
    || conditions change: they aren't the same each time.

    No smart fisherman will cast over and over again to the same spot without
    changing anything. You either present a different bait, use the lure
    differently, or find a different spot. Fish hang out near structure, so
    you must generally seek it out and then present something they might be
    interested in.

  17. GaryG wrote:
    || "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    || news:[email hidden]...
    |||
    ||| 🙂 Well, when people fish (based on personal experience) they do
    ||| expect to catch something 🙂
    ||| Else, why bother?
    |||
    ||
    || Because:
    ||
    || 1) it's an opportunity to get out of the house and away from the
    || wife and chores

    True. For me, though, I had no wife or chore to escape...I just wanted to
    get outside. Now, however, I just go ride 70 miles.

    ||
    || 2) beer
    ||

    That makes me fat 🙂

  18. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Jeff Williams wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    ::::: 2) Investing $75,000 in order to catch $15 worth of fish (maybe).

    one old fly-rod, box of ten $1 flies, one old smoker, brine, wood chips,
    lighter fluid, charcoal, and a good knife. maybe $50 to catch the tastiest
    thing there is :-) ...if it's not catch and release :-(
    -a

  19. "psycholist" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The guy driving the pickup truck passed me with plenty of room, but when


    he

    Quoted message said:

    swung back into my lane, that ol' boat trailer swung like a bat out of


    hell

    Quoted message said:

    and missed my left knee by about 6 inches is all! I yelled and shook my
    fist at him, but I doubt he even knew he almost wiped me right off the


    road.

    Quoted message said:

    What is it with people pulling trailers that they don't realize the thing
    1.) sticks farther out to both sides than their pickup truck and 2.)


    swerves

    Quoted message said:

    wildly when they swerve their truck?

    still alive, but smokin' mad....

    Pat in Tx

    Hi, Getting back to the original poster's comments, a real danger I
    see, is that in small towns/rural areas, most roads are only 2 lanes,
    and the shoulders of the roads are generally not that good, to even
    non-exisitant, so it sort of forces you to actually ride in the lane.

    When an oncoming vehicle is about to pass by you, and you have traffic
    coming up from the rear of you, this is where it can get real
    dangerous. Being hard to see behind, (Especially when your paying
    attention of where you are in the lane) it can be hard to know exactly
    just how close the vehicle coming up from behind is to you. Most
    drivers just don't seem that they are going to slow down, and wait for
    oncoming traffic to go by, just because a bike is in thier path, and
    will try to squeeze through.

    Just regular vehicles pose a problem. One with a trailer of some sort
    is very deadly. A very important consideration I guess, is to
    carefully select where you are going to regularly ride if riding for
    sport/recreation. Not an easy thing to do at times. Mark

  20. "Mark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "psycholist" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The guy driving the pickup truck passed me with plenty of room, but


    when

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    he

    Quoted message said:

    swung back into my lane, that ol' boat trailer swung like a bat out of


    hell

    Quoted message said:

    and missed my left knee by about 6 inches is all! I yelled and shook


    my

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    fist at him, but I doubt he even knew he almost wiped me right off the


    road.

    Quoted message said:

    What is it with people pulling trailers that they don't realize the


    thing

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    1.) sticks farther out to both sides than their pickup truck and 2.)


    swerves

    Quoted message said:

    wildly when they swerve their truck?

    still alive, but smokin' mad....

    Pat in Tx

    Hi, Getting back to the original poster's comments, a real danger I
    see, is that in small towns/rural areas, most roads are only 2 lanes,
    and the shoulders of the roads are generally not that good, to even
    non-exisitant, so it sort of forces you to actually ride in the lane.

    When an oncoming vehicle is about to pass by you, and you have traffic
    coming up from the rear of you, this is where it can get real
    dangerous. Being hard to see behind, (Especially when your paying
    attention of where you are in the lane) it can be hard to know exactly
    just how close the vehicle coming up from behind is to you.

    That's one reason I use a mirror (the Take-a-Look model). It makes
    monitoring overtaking traffic as unconscious an act as checking your rear
    view mirror in your car.

    Quoted message said:

    Most
    drivers just don't seem that they are going to slow down, and wait for
    oncoming traffic to go by, just because a bike is in thier path, and
    will try to squeeze through.

    I ride on these kinds of roads all the time (narrow lanes, no shoulder). If
    I see oncoming traffic, and I detect overtaking traffic in my mirror, I
    drift left towards the center of the lane. If the overtaking driver is not
    slowing down, I indicate for them to do so with my left hand facing rearward
    and a shake of my head. Most of the time, this is all it takes and as soon
    as it's clear I move to the right and wave them around. Most drivers
    (especially the elderly) understand what's going on and seem to appreciate
    my taking control of the situation...they often wave (with all 5 fingers!)
    as they go by. However, tf the overtaking driver does try to pass me, my
    position in the roadway forces them to swing very wide to get around me, and
    I still have a lot of roadway to my right to move into.

    --
    ~_-*
    ....G/ \G
    http://www.CycliStats.com
    CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

    Quoted message said:


    Just regular vehicles pose a problem. One with a trailer of some sort
    is very deadly. A very important consideration I guess, is to
    carefully select where you are going to regularly ride if riding for
    sport/recreation. Not an easy thing to do at times. Mark

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.