General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Need a really good salt substitute

Started by Aj · · Last activity · 26 posts · 1,679 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
7 June 2004
Last activity
19 June 2004
Original author
Aj
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,679
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    Citric acid (aka sour salt) is one substitute.

    I've heard of some folks using different types of vinegar
    to get a bit of a salty flavor but it just tastes nasty
    sour to me. :P

    Quoted message said:

    I really like Penzys Florida Seasoned Pepper. Besides
    pepper, the ingredients are lemon peel, orange peel,
    critic acid, garlic, and onion.

    Penzy Singapore Seasoning includes lemon peel and citric
    acid -- no salt.

    I'll hit Penzey's site and order these up -- give them a try
    on some of my own dishes. I've only just recently discovered
    them and never have ordered anything from them. Like the OP,
    I too have been in the quandary of my life with salt as I
    have a particular recipe that requires no less than a
    tablespoon and anything less REALLY hampers the flavor. (It
    is the reason for the thread I started yesterday, looking
    for spices/herbs to use on meats).

    James

  2. Quoted message said:

    Reading the actual recipe reveals that the ribs are
    *boiled* for several hours in the "brine," not merely
    soaked in preparation for cooking. OTOH, JNJ is assuming
    one person would consume the entire amount of salt used in
    this very casual recipe (which does not specify number of
    servings or amount of meat).

    As I stated -- I am not assuming one person would consume
    the entire amount of salt used in the recipe but rather that
    using such a large amount of salt used in a boiling solution
    would result in a VERY salty rack of ribs. 🙂 Do as that
    recipe recommends, and yer gonna take in a BUNCH of sodium.

    James

  3. "JNJ" <[email hidden]> wrote in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Citric acid (aka sour salt) is one substitute.

    I've heard of some folks using different types of vinegar
    to get a bit of a salty flavor but it just tastes nasty
    sour to me. :P

    Quoted message said:

    I really like Penzys Florida Seasoned Pepper. Besides
    pepper, the ingredients are lemon peel, orange peel,
    critic acid, garlic, and onion.

    Penzy Singapore Seasoning includes lemon peel and citric
    acid -- no salt.

    I'll hit Penzey's site and order these up -- give them a
    try on some of my own dishes. I've only just recently
    discovered them and never have ordered anything from them.
    Like the OP, I too have been in the quandary of my life
    with salt as I have a particular recipe that requires no
    less than a tablespoon and anything less REALLY hampers
    the flavor. (It is the reason for the thread I started
    yesterday, looking for spices/herbs to use on meats).

    Penzeys also has other salt-free mixtures.

    And, for those who think the "World's unhealthiest cookbook"
    is too light on salt, Penzeys now has designer salts.

    --
    Dan Goodman Journal dsgood.blogspot.comdsgood.blogspot.com or
    livejournal.comdsgood Whatever you wish
    for me, may you have twice as much.

  4. Mustard seed works for me.

    E. P.

  5. Quoted message said:
    AJ said:

    I'm doing the cooking for my elderly uncle (79 -- the old
    geezer is tough!), and he's at the point where his
    doctors say, "Let him eat what he wants -- just NO SALT!"
    Not too tough, eh?

    Easy... old geezers love their booze... and booze
    contains no salt.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =--- ---= Move
    UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
    *********
    "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without
    tribulation." Sheldon ````````````

  6. "AJ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    2 dried chilies ***1/2 cup salt***
    1/2 cup sugar 2-3 onions 4-5 stalks celery 3-5 dry bay
    leaves 4-5 sliced lemons 1-2 yellow beet 2-3 cups
    Vietnamese fish sauce a few sprinkles cracked coriander
    a few sprinkles mustard seeds a few sprinkles black
    pepper

    I believe the salt serves to break up the meat during
    cooking, so it's necesary. It'll also land him in the
    emergency room.

    Consuming that much salt at a sitting would also land a
    normal person in the emergency room with a pickled kidney.

    But most of it remains in the stock.

    If it all went into the meat it would be positively
    inedible.

    Try a tablespoon of salt substitute and half a cup vinegar.

    Fish sauce will be a problem too - very high sodium.

    Try half and half white wine and salt free tomato juice and
    some rosemary in place of the fish sauce.

    If too bland, sprinkle on more salt substitute at the table.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.