Need advice to buy a new bike - Road or hybrid?

irumman

May 14, 2011
HI,

I am an entry level biker and thinking to purchase the following for performance endrance:
http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-pavement-road-endurance-road-century-1
OR
http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-pavement-performance-hybrid-insight-1

Right now, I moved to California, US from my country and still not sure for which one I should go - either Hybrid or Road.
Any advice will be helpful for me.

Thanks.

FWIW. While the particular Road bike has (comparatively) much nicer components ...
  • Knowing what I think that I know, I would choose the Hybrid because it can accept a broader range of tire sizes ...
BUT, that suggestion doesn't take into account ANY criteria which others may suggest which may be much more meaningful.

Lots of shops will offer discounts. A 10% discount off list is a widespread industry norm, either upfront or if you ask. 15% discounts are not unheard of, although less common. Look for year end closeouts also.

As far as the drop bar vs hybrid, it's strictly personal preference.

If you plan on riding on the road all the time, don't waste your money (and time) on a hybird. Like others have said, ask for a discount. Shops are starting to think about getting rid of 2014 stock because 2015 announcements are just around the corner.

Thanks for all good advice.
I used to ride Trek 3900 disc for 1.5 year on pave and muddy road and even for daily commuting to office.
Now thinking if I should go for a drop bar or not.

Originally Posted by irumman
Thanks for all good advice.
I used to ride Trek 3900 disc for 1.5 year on pave and muddy road and even for daily commuting to office.
Now thinking if I should go for a drop bar or not.

Drop bars are nice to have when it's windy... There are some drop-bar cyclocross bikes with disc brakes.

Originally Posted by Volnix
Drop bars are nice to have when it's windy... There are some drop-bar cyclocross bikes with disc brakes.
One of those would be a great option since he mentions pave/mud on his commute.