Need advise for derailleur

shinyballs

May 16, 2006
Hi, I have a 5 speed freewheel to use for my 2001 Specialized fsr. What brand/model of rear derailleur will I use?

SunTour circa 1968 ;)

shinyballs said:
Hi, I have a 5 speed freewheel to use for my 2001 Specialized fsr. What brand/model of rear derailleur will I use?

shinyballs said:

Go find a low end road rear derailleur made by shimano. Like STX, Deore, Sora, something like that. It will work fine with the shifters you have.

If you have 3 chainrings up front, make sure it has a long cage. IF 2 chainrings up front, a long cage will still work.

Peter@vecchios said:
Go find a low end road rear derailleur made by shimano. Like STX, Deore, Sora, something like that. It will work fine with the shifters you have.

If you have 3 chainrings up front, make sure it has a long cage. IF 2 chainrings up front, a long cage will still work.
I only have 1 chainring in the front, do I still have to get a "long cage" or it doesn't really matter? thank you...

shinyballs said:
I only have 1 chainring in the front, do I still have to get a "long cage" or it doesn't really matter? thank you...
If you only have one chainring, then you probably do NOT need a long cage rear derailleur (e.g., downhill rear derailleurs are short cage).

FWIW. When 'I' buy a new rear derailleur, I usually choose the one with the longest cage since I am neither a slave-to-fashion nor do I care/worry about dragging a few extra links of chain around as I pedal because I like NOT being limited in future drivetrain configuration options.

shinyballs said:

Doesn't matter. If this is a commuter type rig, just want to get it back on the road, friction shifters, any RD will do.