Road Cycling · Public discussion

Need advise on a Serotta purchase

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 24 posts · 1,099 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
6 February 2007
Last activity
10 February 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,099
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm considering purchasing a Serrota CDA. The dealer is quoting over
    $4900 for the Coeur d'Acier with carbon seat stays, standard paint
    with custom name option, Serotta F3, Ultegra 10sp Double Group,
    Easton Orion II wheels and eveything else needed to complete the
    package. I'm upgrading from a $800 Cannondale so I'm having a hard
    time accepting that you can put that much on top of an $1800 frame! If
    indeed this is what it takes to get a really good bike should I take
    the next step and move up to the La Corsa titanium frame?

  2. Quoted message said:

    I'm considering purchasing a Serrota CDA. The dealer is quoting over
    $4900 for the Coeur d'Acier with carbon seat stays, standard paint
    with custom name option, Serotta F3, Ultegra 10sp Double Group,
    Easton Orion II wheels and eveything else needed to complete the
    package. I'm upgrading from a $800 Cannondale so I'm having a hard
    time accepting that you can put that much on top of an $1800 frame! If
    indeed this is what it takes to get a really good bike should I take
    the next step and move up to the La Corsa titanium frame?

    I assume there was a reason you chose to drop $ 4900 on this bike, so
    only you could decide whether or not to spend more. Of course, the
    deciding factor should always be, buy the red one.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  3. Quoted message said:

    I'm considering purchasing a Serrota CDA. The dealer is quoting over
    $4900 for the Coeur d'Acier with carbon seat stays, standard paint
    with custom name option, Serotta F3, Ultegra 10sp Double Group,
    Easton Orion II wheels and eveything else needed to complete the
    package. I'm upgrading from a $800 Cannondale so I'm having a hard
    time accepting that you can put that much on top of an $1800 frame! If
    indeed this is what it takes to get a really good bike should I take
    the next step and move up to the La Corsa titanium frame?

    So what happens if you really get addicted to riding?

    Other than having a:
    let's_do_50_fast_ones_on_Saturday_morning_with_the_boys... You've got
    a $5000 unit that does nothing else well. You can't ride in winter...
    skinny high pressure tires suck on cold pavement. You can't ride in
    the rain, well you can, but getting road dirt out of that $2500 drive
    train is annoying. Super-light fenders would help but hey...they don't
    fit. You can't ride at night... you might hit a chuck-hole and ding
    something that costs a grand to fix.

    You know where that Serotta looks really good? In a picture on Ebay.
    With the rest of them. Great selection there... Triple mint condition
    too <g>.

  4. Will said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm considering purchasing a Serrota CDA. The dealer is quoting over
    $4900 for the Coeur d'Acier with carbon seat stays, standard paint
    with custom name option, Serotta F3, Ultegra 10sp Double Group,
    Easton Orion II wheels and eveything else needed to complete the
    package. I'm upgrading from a $800 Cannondale so I'm having a hard
    time accepting that you can put that much on top of an $1800 frame! If
    indeed this is what it takes to get a really good bike should I take
    the next step and move up to the La Corsa titanium frame?

    So what happens if you really get addicted to riding?

    Other than having a:
    let's_do_50_fast_ones_on_Saturday_morning_with_the_boys... You've got
    a $5000 unit that does nothing else well. You can't ride in winter...
    skinny high pressure tires suck on cold pavement. You can't ride in
    the rain, well you can, but getting road dirt out of that $2500 drive
    train is annoying. Super-light fenders would help but hey...they don't
    fit. You can't ride at night... you might hit a chuck-hole and ding
    something that costs a grand to fix.

    You know where that Serotta looks really good? In a picture on Ebay.
    With the rest of them. Great selection there... Triple mint condition
    too <g>.

    This is a bit over the top. There are lots of
    "50_fast_ones_on_Saturday_morning_with_the_boys" bikes out there that
    get ridden on lots of those rides. You may not want to do that, but
    lots of us do. There are reasons to not only have a transportation
    bike, or, more likely, to get a "50-fast..." bike in addition to a
    transportation bike. Trying to do those 50 fast ones on a bike with fat
    tires, serious fenders, and whatnot might not be fun, since you wouldn't
    be as fast.

    And my skinny high-pressure tires get lots of winter miles, just not
    when it is too icy. That's when I ride on my mountain bike with studded
    tires. But I don't think that my skinny-tired bike was a waste of money.

    Any bike that sits in the basement, never ridden, is a waste of money.
    Any bike that gets you away from the computer and out on the roads is
    the right bike.

    As to whether it's wise to spend $5000 on a bike, well, that is beyond
    me. I had enough trouble spending $700 on a frame. Lots of people
    think it's a good investment of their money to spend on a bike they
    like. It is their money, after all.

    To the OP, you'd have to decide whether that bike is worth it to you.
    Myself, I'd go with something more moderate, say the $2000 level, with
    midrange Campy components --- something a lot like my Habanero, which is
    why I put it together the way I did. Will you be faster spending twice
    as much? No. Will you ride more? That is the question. If so, then
    you would be faster on that bike. As a college kid I might have been
    more committed to racing had I bought the Masi I really lusted after,
    but that was $50 more than my Frejus, and I just couldn't justify
    spending the money. Maybe I coulda been a contender, had I gotten the
    Masi. Maybe.

    If 20 people answer you, you'll get at least that many opinions. Your
    decision. Oh, BTW, titanium is nice. But then I like it since it will
    not rust and needs no paint, so scratches are not a problem. Rides
    nicely, too.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    "It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster." --Greg LeMond

  5. On Feb 6, 3:37 pm, "David L. Johnson" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    This is a bit over the top.

    Of course it was. It's freaking -10 F here, there's ice out and I
    can't ride. But my intentions were pure <g>.

    For 5 large you can get get a wicked fast, very light bike with room
    in the frame for some variety. But not on a Serotta...

  6. Will said:

    On Feb 6, 3:37 pm, "David L. Johnson" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    This is a bit over the top.

    Of course it was. It's freaking -10 F here, there's ice out and I
    can't ride. But my intentions were pure <g>.

    For 5 large you can get get a wicked fast, very light bike with room
    in the frame for some variety. But not on a Serotta...

    For 5 big ones, you can get an Ultegra go fast sunny day bike, a
    fendered rain bike, a Nexus hubbed beer fetcher, and a unicycle.

    Or if you find a frame you like, get an Ultegra bike with nice
    traditional American Classic wheels from bikesdirect.com for $1500,
    flog the frame and fork on Craigslist for $300, and end up with a
    $1200 build kit.

    Don't see the point in the Serotta, except to empty your wallet. If
    you've got a fat wallet and like it, then by all means, enjoy.


  7. Quoted message said:


    I assume there was a reason you chose to drop $ 4900 on this bike, so
    only you could decide whether or not to spend more. Of course, the
    deciding factor should always be, buy the red one.

    Curtis L. Russell

    Everybody knows that yellow bikes are faster!

  8. Will said:


    So what happens if you really get addicted to riding?

    Other than having a:
    let's_do_50_fast_ones_on_Saturday_morning_with_the_boys... You've got
    a $5000 unit that does nothing else well. You can't ride in winter...
    skinny high pressure tires suck on cold pavement. You can't ride in
    the rain, well you can, but getting road dirt out of that $2500 drive
    train is annoying. Super-light fenders would help but hey...they don't
    fit. You can't ride at night... you might hit a chuck-hole and ding
    something that costs a grand to fix.

    All true, but a bit over the top.

    What are the odds that a $5000 bike will be your ONLY bike?

  9. Pat said:


    Quoted message said:


    I assume there was a reason you chose to drop $ 4900 on this bike, so
    only you could decide whether or not to spend more. Of course, the
    deciding factor should always be, buy the red one.

    Curtis L. Russell

    Everybody knows that yellow bikes are faster!

    Perhaps, but white is the fastest color. It never runs.

    --
    jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)

  10. Quoted message said:

    I'm considering purchasing a Serrota CDA. The dealer is quoting over
    $4900 for the Coeur d'Acier with carbon seat stays, standard paint
    with custom name option, Serotta F3, Ultegra 10sp Double Group,
    Easton Orion II wheels and eveything else needed to complete the
    package. I'm upgrading from a $800 Cannondale so I'm having a hard
    time accepting that you can put that much on top of an $1800 frame! If
    indeed this is what it takes to get a really good bike should I take
    the next step and move up to the La Corsa titanium frame?

    Few riders really need a bike that expensive. Without knowing your
    abilities, I'll reserve judgement. But beyond the "new bike phenomena"
    that lasts a few weeks, I don't think the new bike will improve your
    speed or distance ability a great deal. A bike half this price should
    give you about 99 percent of the performance and motivation. Fit and
    appropriateness to the kind of riding you do are the main factors to
    consider. As with most products, there is a sweet spot in the
    performance vs. price curve. Beyond that, improvements are very subtle
    and costly.

    Art Harris

  11. Art Harris said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm considering purchasing a Serrota CDA. The dealer is quoting over
    $4900 for the Coeur d'Acier with carbon seat stays, standard paint
    with custom name option, Serotta F3, Ultegra 10sp Double Group,
    Easton Orion II wheels and eveything else needed to complete the
    package. I'm upgrading from a $800 Cannondale so I'm having a hard
    time accepting that you can put that much on top of an $1800 frame! If
    indeed this is what it takes to get a really good bike should I take
    the next step and move up to the La Corsa titanium frame?

    Few riders really need a bike that expensive. Without knowing your
    abilities, I'll reserve judgement. But beyond the "new bike phenomena"
    that lasts a few weeks, I don't think the new bike will improve your
    speed or distance ability a great deal. A bike half this price should
    give you about 99 percent of the performance and motivation. Fit and
    appropriateness to the kind of riding you do are the main factors to
    consider. As with most products, there is a sweet spot in the
    performance vs. price curve. Beyond that, improvements are very subtle
    and costly.

    Art Harris

    Proof of the pudding is at the Serotta site. Check out the annual
    gathering shots.
    About 3 guys have legs, the rest have wallets.

  12. Art Harris said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm considering purchasing a Serrota CDA. The dealer is quoting over
    $4900 for the Coeur d'Acier with carbon seat stays, standard paint
    with custom name option, Serotta F3, Ultegra 10sp Double Group,
    Easton Orion II wheels and eveything else needed to complete the
    package. I'm upgrading from a $800 Cannondale so I'm having a hard
    time accepting that you can put that much on top of an $1800 frame! If
    indeed this is what it takes to get a really good bike should I take
    the next step and move up to the La Corsa titanium frame?

    Few riders really need a bike that expensive. Without knowing your
    abilities, I'll reserve judgement. But beyond the "new bike phenomena"
    that lasts a few weeks, I don't think the new bike will improve your
    speed or distance ability a great deal. A bike half this price should
    give you about 99 percent of the performance and motivation. Fit and
    appropriateness to the kind of riding you do are the main factors to
    consider. As with most products, there is a sweet spot in the
    performance vs. price curve. Beyond that, improvements are very subtle
    and costly.

    Art Harris

    Art,

    Thank you for your very sound advise. I'm an upper middle age guy and
    the only excersise I get is riding - 100 miles a week weather
    permitting. Being tall and realizing I probably won't be buying too
    many more bikes the idea of having a frame custom built so that it is
    optimized to my physique and riding style is appealling, thus the
    Serotta. Not be up on the road bike scene I was surprised to find that
    a completely built up bike would cost nearly three times the price of
    the frame. I guess my real question is where is my sweet spot? Are the
    components going into this bike over kill and would a bike costing,
    say $500 less provide the same benefit? If the component group is
    indeed that critical and important than perhaps it would also be wise
    to upgrade to a better frame. Of course, the dealers motovations are
    different from mine and his advise will reflect that perspective.

    Lou

  13. Quoted message said:
    Art Harris said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm considering purchasing a Serrota CDA. The dealer is quoting over
    $4900 for the Coeur d'Acier with carbon seat stays, standard paint
    with custom name option, Serotta F3, Ultegra 10sp Double Group,
    Easton Orion II wheels and eveything else needed to complete the
    package. I'm upgrading from a $800 Cannondale so I'm having a hard
    time accepting that you can put that much on top of an $1800 frame! If
    indeed this is what it takes to get a really good bike should I take
    the next step and move up to the La Corsa titanium frame?

    Quoted message said:

    Few riders really need a bike that expensive. Without knowing your
    abilities, I'll reserve judgement. But beyond the "new bike phenomena"
    that lasts a few weeks, I don't think the new bike will improve your
    speed or distance ability a great deal. A bike half this price should
    give you about 99 percent of the performance and motivation. Fit and
    appropriateness to the kind of riding you do are the main factors to
    consider. As with most products, there is a sweet spot in the
    performance vs. price curve. Beyond that, improvements are very subtle
    and costly.

    Quoted message said:

    Art Harris

    Art,

    Thank you for your very sound advise. I'm an upper middle age guy and
    the only excersise I get is riding - 100 miles a week weather
    permitting. Being tall and realizing I probably won't be buying too
    many more bikes the idea of having a frame custom built so that it is
    optimized to my physique and riding style is appealling, thus the
    Serotta.

    There are plenty of builders in the States that can build you custom
    without the Serotta up charge. But then, do you need a custom frame?
    Are you proportioned properly so that a normal factory frame could be
    dialed in with proper sized stem, post, bars, etc? A custom frame is a
    fine thing, but you might not *need* one.

    Quoted message said:

    Not be up on the road bike scene I was surprised to find that
    a completely built up bike would cost nearly three times the price of
    the frame. I guess my real question is where is my sweet spot? Are the
    components going into this bike over kill and would a bike costing,
    say $500 less provide the same benefit?

    For one thing, your shop is wanting to spec you wheels that cost twice
    what a pair of nice hand built traditional wheels would run you. The
    hand builts wouldn't weigh more, and would likely be more reliable and
    strong. This has been discussed ad nauseum around here. If your shop
    doesn't build wheels, find one with a good reputation that does.

    Quoted message said:

    If the component group is
    indeed that critical and important than perhaps it would also be wise
    to upgrade to a better frame. Of course, the dealers motovations are
    different from mine and his advise will reflect that perspective.

    You can get Shimano Dura Ace or Ultegra and enjoy their long warranty--
    or you can spend quite a bit less and get Campagnolo Veloce and have a
    groupset that you can service and buy small parts for. If you want to
    ride Shimano, 105 is as good as any recreational rider needs.
    Remember, you can always get the expensive DA or Ultegra brifters to
    shift 105 kit with.

    If what you've mentioned is what the shop wants to sell you, then I
    suspect their motivation is making a payment on a bass boat, not
    getting you what would be most practical.

  14. landotter said:

    There are plenty of builders in the States that can build you custom
    without the Serotta up charge. But then, do you need a custom frame?
    Are you proportioned properly so that a normal factory frame could be
    dialed in with proper sized stem, post, bars, etc? A custom frame is a
    fine thing, but you might not *need* one.

    True, that.

    I spent a pile o' dough on a Moots road bike ... for a host of reasons
    that did NOT include just having too much discretionary money.

    You can't really justify a $5,000+ Serotta (or its many
    equivalents)--because so many bikes will do everything you want them to
    do ... virtually as well--, but then ... you don't really have to
    justify it.

    That said, I did the math, AND had it done for me, and had absolutely no
    need for custom sizing. I'm not particularly oddly proportioned--just
    generally funny looking ;-)

    Serotta's got a great reputation. So do lots of other manufacturers of
    high-end frames. Try to ride as many as you can--frames AND component
    groups--and buy what feels and fits the best.

    Have fun!

  15. Quoted message said:

    Thank you for your very sound advise. I'm an upper middle age guy and
    the only excersise I get is riding - 100 miles a week weather
    permitting. Being tall and realizing I probably won't be buying too
    many more bikes the idea of having a frame custom built so that it is
    optimized to my physique and riding style is appealling, thus the
    Serotta. Not be up on the road bike scene I was surprised to find that
    a completely built up bike would cost nearly three times the price of
    the frame. I guess my real question is where is my sweet spot? Are the
    components going into this bike over kill and would a bike costing,
    say $500 less provide the same benefit? If the component group is
    indeed that critical and important than perhaps it would also be wise
    to upgrade to a better frame. Of course, the dealers motovations are
    different from mine and his advise will reflect that perspective.

    I think a good starting point would be to verbalize what you don't
    like about your old Cannondale. What do you want it to do that it
    can't.

    For your kind of riding (as with mine), reliability, comfort, fit,
    smooth shifting, appropriate gearing, good braking, and reasonable
    weight are probably your main objectives. How does your Cannondale
    stack up in those categories?

    In most cases, you should be able to find a stock bike that (with
    proper adjustment) will fit you fine. I'm 6'3" and never had a problem
    getting a stock bike to fit. It might be more prudent to spend $100 or
    so for a good fitting (that takes into account your riding style and
    preferences) than to buy a custom frame that you can't test ride until
    it's built.

    Modern components from Campagnolo or Shimano all work very well, even
    at the low end. There's little reason to buy the top of the line
    components.

    There's nothing wrong with conventional handbuilt wheels, aluminum
    seat posts, etc. Fancy looking stuff is often just marketing. You may
    find that a $1200-1500 bike will provide everything you want.

    Art Harris

  16. Quoted message said:

    I'm considering purchasing a Serrota CDA. The dealer is quoting over
    $4900 for the Coeur d'Acier with carbon seat stays, standard paint
    with custom name option, Serotta F3, Ultegra 10sp Double Group,
    Easton Orion II wheels and eveything else needed to complete the
    package. I'm upgrading from a $800 Cannondale so I'm having a hard
    time accepting that you can put that much on top of an $1800 frame! If
    indeed this is what it takes to get a really good bike should I take
    the next step and move up to the La Corsa titanium frame?

    I would look elsewhere rather than a Serotta dealer of any type.

    Put the biggest percentage of the $ in the frame, not the components
    and certainly not those wheels. Seen lots of those wheels break
    spokes. Also a carbon but end does absolutely nothing. Look at
    Waterford for a truely well made steel frame w/o the hype.

  17. Quoted message said:
    Art Harris said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm considering purchasing a Serrota CDA. The dealer is quoting over
    $4900 for the Coeur d'Acier with carbon seat stays, standard paint
    with custom name option, Serotta F3, Ultegra 10sp Double Group,
    Easton Orion II wheels and eveything else needed to complete the
    package. I'm upgrading from a $800 Cannondale so I'm having a hard
    time accepting that you can put that much on top of an $1800 frame! If
    indeed this is what it takes to get a really good bike should I take
    the next step and move up to the La Corsa titanium frame?

    Quoted message said:

    Few riders really need a bike that expensive. Without knowing your
    abilities, I'll reserve judgement. But beyond the "new bike phenomena"
    that lasts a few weeks, I don't think the new bike will improve your
    speed or distance ability a great deal. A bike half this price should
    give you about 99 percent of the performance and motivation. Fit and
    appropriateness to the kind of riding you do are the main factors to
    consider. As with most products, there is a sweet spot in the
    performance vs. price curve. Beyond that, improvements are very subtle
    and costly.

    Quoted message said:

    Art Harris

    Art,

    Thank you for your very sound advise. I'm an upper middle age guy and
    the only excersise I get is riding - 100 miles a week weather
    permitting. Being tall and realizing I probably won't be buying too
    many more bikes the idea of having a frame custom built so that it is
    optimized to my physique and riding style is appealling, thus the
    Serotta. Not be up on the road bike scene I was surprised to find that
    a completely built up bike would cost nearly three times the price of
    the frame. I guess my real question is where is my sweet spot? Are the
    components going into this bike over kill and would a bike costing,
    say $500 less provide the same benefit? If the component group is
    indeed that critical and important than perhaps it would also be wise
    to upgrade to a better frame. Of course, the dealers motovations are
    different from mine and his advise will reflect that perspective.

    Lou

    Waterford R-13 series, carbon fork, Ultegra group..handbuilt wheels,
    Ritchey componets..about $3000 here..Custom frame, many free color
    choices..no hype, BS or typical Serotta bloviation.

  18. On Feb 8, 7:49 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm considering purchasing a Serrota CDA. The dealer is quoting over
    $4900 for the Coeur d'Acier with carbon seat stays, standard paint
    with custom name option, Serotta F3, Ultegra 10sp Double Group,
    Easton Orion II wheels and eveything else needed to complete the
    package. I'm upgrading from a $800 Cannondale so I'm having a hard
    time accepting that you can put that much on top of an $1800 frame! If
    indeed this is what it takes to get a really good bike should I take
    the next step and move up to the La Corsa titanium frame?

    I would look elsewhere rather than a Serotta dealer of any type.

    Put the biggest percentage of the $ in the frame, not the components
    and certainly not those wheels. Seen lots of those wheels break
    spokes. Also a carbon but end does absolutely nothing. Look at
    Waterford for a truely well made steel frame w/o the hype.

    Waterford frames cost twice as much as other similar hand built frames
    with the same materials. Around here, Waterford frames are sold in the
    same shops that do Serotta, don't build wheels, and try to blow all
    sorts of smoke up your rectum. There's plenty of hype around them as
    well. Why not a Heron for 1200 less? Or fly to the UK for the
    difference and get a Mercian custom fitted.

    $900 Strada Speciale frame
    $800 Round trip ticket to the UK
    -------
    $1700, Which leaves you $800 to spend on pints at the pub and a small
    room to retire to.

  19. landotter said:

    On Feb 8, 7:49 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On Feb 6, 11:08 am, [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm considering purchasing a Serrota CDA. The dealer is quoting over
    $4900 for the Coeur d'Acier with carbon seat stays, standard paint
    with custom name option, Serotta F3, Ultegra 10sp Double Group,
    Easton Orion II wheels and eveything else needed to complete the
    package. I'm upgrading from a $800 Cannondale so I'm having a hard
    time accepting that you can put that much on top of an $1800 frame! If
    indeed this is what it takes to get a really good bike should I take
    the next step and move up to the La Corsa titanium frame?

    Quoted message said:

    I would look elsewhere rather than a Serotta dealer of any type.

    Quoted message said:

    Put the biggest percentage of the $ in the frame, not the components
    and certainly not those wheels. Seen lots of those wheels break
    spokes. Also a carbon but end does absolutely nothing. Look at
    Waterford for a truely well made steel frame w/o the hype.

    Waterford frames cost twice as much as other similar hand built frames
    with the same materials. Around here, Waterford frames are sold in the
    same shops that do Serotta, don't build wheels, and try to blow all
    sorts of smoke up your rectum. There's plenty of hype around them as
    well. Why not a Heron for 1200 less? Or fly to the UK for the
    difference and get a Mercian custom fitted.

    $900 Strada Speciale frame
    $800 Round trip ticket to the UK
    -------
    $1700, Which leaves you $800 to spend on pints at the pub and a small
    room to retire to.

    No doubt..a Heron is $1200 less than a waterford with Ultegra?..$1800
    for an Ultegra bike, with the frame built in the US IS amazing. Not
    saying 'offshore' frames aren't made well but a Waterford at $1300 is
    not twice as much as similarly made frames with the same materials. NO
    frame made in the US of TrueTemper Platinum OS with 100's of color
    choices is $650. Nice to buy the frame in the UK but don't forget the
    exchange rate and also gotta use that extra $ to build the bike, not
    just buy a frame.

    The guy was looking at an overpriced, much hype added with carbon ass
    end, Serotta..another US custom made frame that is cheaper and better
    made w/o the hype is Waterford.

    Personally, I would rather stand on the corner with a piece of
    carboard than ever sell Serotta.

  20. On Feb 8, 9:10 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    landotter said:

    On Feb 8, 7:49 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Feb 6, 11:08 am, [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I'm considering purchasing a Serrota CDA. The dealer is quoting over
    > $4900 for the Coeur d'Acier with carbon seat stays, standard paint
    > with custom name option, Serotta F3, Ultegra 10sp Double Group,
    > Easton Orion II wheels and eveything else needed to complete the
    > package. I'm upgrading from a $800 Cannondale so I'm having a hard
    > time accepting that you can put that much on top of an $1800 frame! If
    > indeed this is what it takes to get a really good bike should I take
    > the next step and move up to the La Corsa titanium frame?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I would look elsewhere rather than a Serotta dealer of any type.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Put the biggest percentage of the $ in the frame, not the components
    and certainly not those wheels. Seen lots of those wheels break
    spokes. Also a carbon but end does absolutely nothing. Look at
    Waterford for a truely well made steel frame w/o the hype.

    Quoted message said:

    Waterford frames cost twice as much as other similar hand built frames
    with the same materials. Around here, Waterford frames are sold in the
    same shops that do Serotta, don't build wheels, and try to blow all
    sorts of smoke up your rectum. There's plenty of hype around them as
    well. Why not a Heron for 1200 less? Or fly to the UK for the
    difference and get a Mercian custom fitted.

    Quoted message said:

    $900 Strada Speciale frame
    $800 Round trip ticket to the UK
    -------
    $1700, Which leaves you $800 to spend on pints at the pub and a small
    room to retire to.

    No doubt..a Heron is $1200 less than a waterford with Ultegra?..$1800
    for an Ultegra bike, with the frame built in the US IS amazing. Not
    saying 'offshore' frames aren't made well but a Waterford at $1300 is
    not twice as much as similarly made frames with the same materials.

    For some reason, I thought the tag on the last Waterford I saw said,
    "$2500". My bad.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.