Need equipment help on the hills

boardsonfeet

Oct 11, 2010
I'm new to this forum and really to cycling in general, I've always been a runner and a few years back while trying to heal from a running injury, I decided to try cycling. I visited my local bike shop and was depending on his knowledge and advise to guild me toward a good match for the type of riding I was interested in. Overall I have been fairly happy with the results, but after riding my first century ride a few weeks ago on a hilly course, I became more educated about the need for the right gears. I currently have a DeBernardi frame with the Veloce 9 speed Campagnolo rear set and a double crankset in the front. On the hills I observed that everyone was spinning in a much lower gear than I was in my lowest (or requiring less force that is). My friends explained the shortcomings of my equipment and now I realize I need to try and find a way to add a triple chainwheel to the front if that's the easiest and least expensive way to do this. I started reading some posts about this, but I thought if I listed what I currently have it might be easier to get solid advice. My current chainwheel is a 172.5 Campagnolo, I haven't counted the number of teeth on the two rings up front, but I can do that if it's important. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't know which 9 speed cassette you have but have you considered trying a 13/28 rear cassette. It would be a lot cheaper than converting to triple and I can't imagine needing a lower gear set up.

I'm willing to look at the least expensive option, I just thought that if I changed the rear cassette I would need to change things like the rear derailer and chain (and maybe more). Maybe I should have posed the question without my own suggestion since I don't know much to start with.

You can change the cassette as long as you stay with a campy 9 speed. The cassette gear ratio can be changed and I think pretty inexpensively for a Veloce grouping. You don't have to change any other components, however be sure and check your chain for wear. I would recommend changing the chain also if it has wear.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

You can change the cassette as long as you stay with a campy 9 speed. The cassette gear ratio can be changed and I think pretty inexpensively for a Veloce grouping. You don't have to change any other components, however be sure and check your chain for wear. I would recommend changing the chain also if it has wear.
This is good advice /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

You can also change the front dual chainset(crankset) to a smaller dual chainset. So if you currently have a 53/39 you might be able to use a 50/34 (compact) dual chainset. You need to check if your front derailleur can accommodate a 16T movement from the 50T to 34T /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

[COLOR= black][SIZE= 10pt]Both of these options sound reasonable (cost wise) so where I could really use the advise now is where in your opinions do you see the biggest (help during steep assents) bang for my buck? My current cassette is 9 rings that go from 23 teeth down to 12, does anyone know how large of a direct replacement cassette is available, and how much of a difference this change would make during climbs? Changing to a smaller double crankset sounds good also, any opinions on which change would provide the greatest results, or would it take changing both to ready feel the difference? I have no idea how to check my derailleur for 16T movement, is there a site where I can read about this? If anyone knows which models that can replace the Veloce Campagnolo 9 speed setup I have, that would be very helpful.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= black][SIZE= 10pt]Thanks again[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I know a 13/ 28 is available for the rear cassette.The 28 would be a good bail out gear for the steeps.

So you think the increase from 23 to 28 on the large ring would help enough alone to try and then look at changing to the smaller crankset later if I really need it? Would I simply search for a 13/28 Campagnolo 9 speed cassette?

IMO it would be sufficient. You can go 4 mph up a climb with a 28. Any slower than that and you might as well push and yes you should be able to find a 9 speed cassette pretty easy.

Originally Posted by boardsonfeet .

So you think the increase from 23 to 28 on the large ring would help enough alone to try and then look at changing to the smaller crankset later if I really need it? Would I simply search for a 13/28 Campagnolo 9 speed cassette?
Yup - that's all you need to look for.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CS408A03-Campagnolo+Veloce+Ud+9Sp+Cassette.aspx

I put the link there as an example but most good bike stores should be able to get one for you.

A 23 to 28 sprocket difference is a fairly big jump.