Need help on choosing new tires

Palmer69

Aug 7, 2012
I am looking to upgrade from my stock tires, they are Continental Ultra Sport 700c x 23, and while they are alright for the time being I would rather go ahead and be on the look out since I have the money at the moment. I am mainly look for puncture resistance, not super heavy, durable, can handle turns well at speed, and have good rolling resistance. This are mainly for training although a lot of the streets I ride in my area have glass and other stuff all over the bike lanes so puncture resistant is at the top of the list. I have been looking at these three tires so far and I would love to get some opinions on which would be best suited for what I want.

Thanks.

I am 5'10" and I weigh 180lbs.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10054_10551_1103494_-1_400235__400235
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10054_10551_1086679_-1_400235__400235
http://www.rei.com/product/671870/continental-ultra-gatorskin-tire-700-x-23-25

I'd skip the Conti Grand Prix 4000 in the colored flavor. Colored tires can have less grip, especially in the rain, than black tires. Instead you might want to look at the Conti Grand Prix 4000s. It has a gripper compound than the 4000 and has pretty excellent puncture resistance along with a nice ride quality. The downside is that it also has a relatively weak--compared to some other brands--sidewall. An excellent Conti to look at would be the Grand Prix 4 Season. It's as puncture resistant at as the GP4000s but has better durability and a nice ride quality. Conti Gatorskins (of any sort) are pretty puncture resistant but have a ride quality that's not quite as nice as the GP 4000s or 4 Season. Some would call the Gatorskin ride harsh. I'd also suggest that you look at other brands. You can still find some Michelin Krylion tires, and they're very nice. They're no longer in production but they can still be found online and in some LBS. They've got good puncture resistance, good grip, and a nice ride quality. They've also got a more durable sidewall than the Contis. If you can't find Krylions, you might consider Michelin Pro Race 4 Endurance tires. They're supposed to be an upgraded Krylion. I typically won't buy race rubber as the short life isn't worth the cost, but I happened to get a great price on Michelin Pro Race 3 tires, and I frankly love them. I have had only 2 flats in a couple thousand miles, and those miles include hot, trash littered roads in Tucson, Arizona and crappy roads in Ohio. If you're looking for the most bang for you buck, you might try Maxxis Re-Fuse tires. I went through a couple of sets of them and loved them. They were puncture resistant, grippy, and while they didn't roll as freely as the Michelin PR3s, they weren't slugs either. Their price is ever so nice. Lastly, at the high end of the spectrum are Scwhalbe Ultremo DD tires. They roll nice, have good puncture resistance, and have excellent grip. Their only downside is their price. No matter what you look at, I'd give serious consideration to buying 25mm wide tires. Because they have a larger air volume, you can run them at lower pressures and thus gain a more compliant ride along with more grip. Also given two tires of the same model, inflated to the same pressure, with the only difference being one is a 23mm tire and the other 25mm, the 25mm tire will have a bit less rolling resistance. I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions. How big are you, BTW?

Some very good training tires are the Specialized Espoir ones. They come in two versions, the wire beaded ones and the foldable ones. They dont seem to get flat from anything on the road, but if you happen to stroll for a minute in the grass with horns or something is a different story...

They are not that heavy and they dont seem to wear out quickly either. Grip is very good too,

The 700-25 ones are inflated up to 110psi. The 700-28 ones up to 85 psi. (for the wired version).

"I am mainly look for puncture resistance, not super heavy, durable, can handle turns well at speed, and have good rolling resistance."

Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp.

They are the best clincher I have used for cut/puncture resistence while still being a fast feeling tire with decent grip for racing.

Of the three choices, I'd go with the Gator Hardshell, in 25mm width. And for best puncture-resistance, grip and ride quality, don't overinflate them. On 25's, at your 180 lbs, suggest 90 psi in front, 95-100 psi in rear.

Thanks for all the comments, advice, and thoughts.

As far as how big I am, I would say I am a little larger due to family genetics.

I have been looking at tires all morning so far, and in terms of the 25s I will have to see of I can fit them between the seat stays and fork.
Although so far I've narrowed it down to Conti GP 4 Season ($50), Michelin Pro4 Endurance ($53), Conti Gator Hardshell ($60), and Conti GP4000S ($70). After reading eveything you all have said and looking at the specs on everything it seems to me(albeit I may not be right) the Conti tires have a higher TPI above 300 on average compared to 110 TPI for the Michelin. Is the higher TPI better then having a lower TPI?

I am willing to switch to the 25mm if they will fit. That I will tomorrow since I do not have my bike with me at the moment.

Note that Conti counts their TPI a bit differently than you'd expect. The take the TPI from the plies and add them together. So if they state 300 TPI and there are three plies, each ply has 100 TPI. The difference can be easily felt between a Conti and a Vittoria 320 TPI tire.

Alright, so basically TPI is different among manufacturers? If so then out of the four I have narrowed it down, in your opinion what do you think would be a good choice to go with?

My view:
  1. Maxxis Re-Fuse
  2. Conti GP 4 Seasons
  3. Michelin Krylion or Michelin Pro Race 4 Endurance
  4. Conti GP4000s
  5. Michelin Pro Race 3
  6. SchwalbeUltremo DD