need some feedback on a Computrainer workout

tmctguer

Sep 9, 2003
To The Wise Power Workout Guru's:

i have been riding my Computrainer for a few months now and have found a workout that fits my time schedule during midweek, and challenges my present physical limits. it is the 10 mile Intermediate Course, for anyone who is familiar with Computrainers. this course features a few short 6% grades, some flats some 1% - 3% sections, and a few downhill sections which allow for some recovery after the short climbs.

here is what a typical 30 minute ride on that course produces in terms of time & watts:

4 min @ 241 watts
2 min @ 306 watts
3 min @ 217 watts
3 min @ 250 watts
2 min @ 295 watts (a simulated 6% grade)
3 min @ 214 watts
5 min @ 246 watts
4 min @ 212 watts
2 min @ 323 watts (a simulated 6% grade)
2 min @ 224 watts

the average watts for the 30 minute ride is 245 with a normalized power of 254 watts. i have ridden harder than the figures shown above a few times, but the wattages above seem to be typical for this specific Computrainer course.

as a point of reference, i have not done any textbook power tests recently, but my typical 20 min max power for the past month is btwn 246 - 270. Looking at my 28 day power distribution, my first big drop in power is at the 240 - 260 watts range. I think this puts my threshold power at about the 260 - 270 watt range. (feel free to correct me if I am off).

my question is whether i would get a better workout if I focused on a 30 minute "constant" power level similar to what a normal trainer would allow (the Ergo mode for Computrainer users) instead of the 30 minute workout with peaks and valleys of power output?

I ride 35 - 45 mile rides on weekends when I have more time. But i only have about 45 minutes a few days in the middle of the week to work out on my trainer.

any feedback would be appreciated.

I would recommend doing whatever keeps you motivated to ride indoors and use the NP as a guide to the overall level.

If an iso-power workout would send your brain numb, then stay with the variable workouts.

Maybe just mix it up some days with interval efforts at whatever level you are targeting.

tmctguer said:

i have been riding my Computrainer for a few months now and have found a workout that fits my time schedule during midweek, and challenges my present physical limits. it is the 10 mile Intermediate Course, for anyone who is familiar with Computrainers. this course features a few short 6% grades, some flats some 1% - 3% sections, and a few downhill sections which allow for some recovery after the short climbs.

here is what a typical 30 minute ride on that course produces in terms of time & watts:

4 min @ 241 watts
2 min @ 306 watts
3 min @ 217 watts
3 min @ 250 watts
3 min @ 214 watts
5 min @ 246 watts
4 min @ 212 watts
2 min @ 224 watts

the average watts for the 30 minute ride is 245 with a normalized power of 254 watts. i have ridden harder than the figures shown above a few times, but the wattages above seem to be typical for this specific Computrainer course.

as a point of reference, i have not done any textbook power tests recently, but my typical 20 min max power for the past month is btwn 246 - 270. Looking at my 28 day power distribution, my first big drop in power is at the 240 - 260 watts range. I think this puts my threshold power at about the 260 - 270 watt range. (feel free to correct me if I am off).

my question is whether i would get a better workout if I focused on a 30 minute "constant" power level similar to what a normal trainer would allow (the Ergo mode for Computrainer users) instead of the 30 minute workout with peaks and valleys of power output?

I ride 35 - 45 mile rides on weekends when I have more time. But i only have about 45 minutes a few days in the middle of the week to work out on my trainer.

History: CT user (for ~ six months per year nearly exclusively) since 2002. Best cycling-related purchase I EVER made.

Wrt. your main question, I'd ask what type of event you're training for, goals etc? We have only a couple of road races here each year vs. up to fifteen TT's and hill climbs. I'd highly, highly recommend Iso-power or quasi iso-power training for those type of events or in general to raise one's FTP. After all, in a typical TT, how often do you get to recover?

For variety, I like to ride moderately variable courses if targetting tempo rides of two up to three hours max (for me). But the emphasis is still on continuous production of aerobic power vs. a lot of hard grades and easy descents. PM me if you'd like more details ...

Sure when I do get outdoors regularly (April 'round here), it takes perhaps a couple of wks to get the legs used to the terrain again ... but i'll take that bit o'pain vs. increased FTP.

If you can only ride ~45min/dy -- I'd make most of those rides L4 down to LL4 -- at least until you get close to racing season ..

all the best

to clarify, i am a recreational cyclist. i do not race, but i like to ride fast.

i suppose my goal is to continue to increase my threshold power so that i can increase my speed on the bike. i also want to be in generally good enough shape so that I am able to complete most rides that might strike my fancy. this might include a climb of Palomar Mountain in SoCal (11 mile climb, featured in Tour of California) to a 40 mile relatively flat ride along the coast.

tmctguer said:

4 min @ 241 watts
2 min @ 306 watts
3 min @ 217 watts
3 min @ 250 watts
3 min @ 214 watts
5 min @ 246 watts
4 min @ 212 watts
2 min @ 224 watts

I'd echo what Alex says. I'd almost prefer an isopower effort with respect to threshold work to keep it in a narrow range and more accurately target your threshold, particularly in the early season, but yours is good. Another way of looking at it is that your actual rides are variable and are rarely at a specific power. Your workouts should mimic your rides.

Play up the variability. Come up with different workouts that are flexible and target different systems. Adding in some shorter harder efforts on the CT, perhaps even some micro-intervals, would add a different twist. Another strategy is to extend the duration of workouts to help you maintain a high power effort longer and reduce the slow component. That will be your limiter when you're climbing Palomar - you will fade in the last 30 minutes to the summit.