Nemesis, Thy name is...

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
We've all met him/her.
Some more than others.
Whose name must not be mentioned lest the wrath be unleashed in your direction.

Oh, to heck with it!
After fiddling in the shed during Saturday's storms I came up with the idea for a T-shirt, sticker or Jersey perhaps.

Meet .......

'The Puncture Fairy'

http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/pf_1.gif

thinking along the lines of 'Puncture-fairy busters' or
'No flats'. Suggestions welcome
If anyone shows an inclination I'll polish it a bit more and post as Hi-res pdf artwork for anyone to use/abuse and maybe commit to a sticker run

cheers

FD

Hey, the Puncture Fairy is cool, but I'm more used to hearing the names of the Puncture Gods being invoked. Just be tactful mentioning the "Puncture Fairy" in conversation to non-cyclists, who may mis-read the context in which it's meant. :eek: The logo does a great job of illustrating how truly evil these little road gremlins are after heavy rain! :D

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 at 12:44 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
> "flyingdutch" <[email protected]
>> 'The Puncture Fairy'
>> http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/pf_1.gif

> hehe.. cool!
>
> I think I use more colourful words to describe the
> 'rapid decrease of tyre pressure' typically linked
> with 'bogan droppings' (smashed VB stubbies). My
> mother would be horrified.. ;-)

I wonder what the bystanders thought I was doing when I came out of
the bike shed, walked up to a spot in the carpark, and started
sweeping away at the ground for a few minutes?

"Legacy (adj): an uncomplimentary computer-industry epithet that
means 'it works'." -- Anthony DeBoer @ ASR

"TimC" <[email protected]
> > hippy
> > I think I use more colourful words to describe the
> > 'rapid decrease of tyre pressure' typically linked
> > with 'bogan droppings' (smashed VB stubbies). My
> > mother would be horrified.. ;-)

> I wonder what the bystanders thought I was doing when I came out of
> the bike shed, walked up to a spot in the carpark, and started
> sweeping away at the ground for a few minutes?

I've gone out the front of my house and swept the road!
I figure people think I'm insane anyway.. a little extra
madness can't hurt ;-)

hippy

On 2004-11-14, hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
> "TimC" <[email protected]
>> I wonder what the bystanders thought I was doing when I came out of
>> the bike shed, walked up to a spot in the carpark, and started
>> sweeping away at the ground for a few minutes?

> I've gone out the front of my house and swept the road!
> I figure people think I'm insane anyway.. a little extra
> madness can't hurt ;-)

If you ask me, the whole world's insane. I can feel a rant coming on, so
I'll stop typing now. :)

"Stuart Lamble" <[email protected]
> On 2004-11-14, hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "TimC" <[email protected]
> >> I wonder what the bystanders thought I was doing when I came out of
> >> the bike shed, walked up to a spot in the carpark, and started
> >> sweeping away at the ground for a few minutes?

> > I've gone out the front of my house and swept the road!
> > I figure people think I'm insane anyway.. a little extra
> > madness can't hurt ;-)

> If you ask me, the whole world's insane. I can feel a rant coming on, so
> I'll stop typing now. :)

Go on.. you know you want to!

"aus.bicycle therapy at your service!"

hippy
sane.. in his own mind..

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]
> hippy Wrote:
> >
> > hippy
> > sane.. in his own mind..

> So youre concurrently in AND out of your mind?

See!

> Fairy's gonna get ya!

Never!

hippy
"pssssssssss....."

hippy wrote:

> "Stuart Lamble" <[email protected]
>
>>On 2004-11-14, hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>"TimC" <[email protected]

> "aus.bicycle therapy at your service!"
>
> hippy
> sane.. in his own mind..

Hmm...

I tried to respond to aus.bicycle.therapy, but I got "Sending of message
failed: The message could not be posted. The server my be unavailable
or is refusing connections. Please verify that your news server setting
is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator."

So I tried subscribing to aus.bicycle.therapy, but I got
"A News (NNTP) error occurred: Posting Failed (No such Newsgroup)"

Same thing happened when I tried to post and/or subscrible to
"aus.bicycle.80s_music_trivia", "aus.bicycle.off_topic_but", and
"aus.bicycle.completely_and_wildly_off_topic_but"

Someone has got to take ownership of these problems and post a control
message...

***
pete "it's certainly not going to be, I just post silly stuff" d

bjay said:
"flyingdutch" wrote

> Meet .......
>
> 'The Puncture Fairy'
>
> http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/pf_1.gif

I love it. I would call it the Puncture Demon though. Sort of conjures up
a more evil picture in peoples minds, and we all know that punctures are
evil!

Bjay
Hey! I put a copyright on "The Puncture Fairy" years ago! It's expired now, so feel free, help yourself. I don't have the sort of smutty mind which links 'penetration', euphemisms for 'homosexual' and whatever . . . else . . . oh, forget it. No, really.

I seem to remember Richard Bach (when I used to read his pre-hippy-dippy astral travel ramblings {apols. to relevant nickname holders ;)} ) coined the phrase "swim/walk/shower fairy" (NOT going there, back to those seedy boarding school memories . . . ) to account for where he got his ideas for writing from. I thought it appropriate to apply it to the especially illogical occurence of the rhyme and reason of having your rapid forward progress arrested by sharp objects letting all the air out of your tyres. They seem to come in threes, like wishes, in this case, bad ones.

It's good shorthand for explaining why a new tyre, correctly inflated, with a good tube and sound rim and rimtape just runs over a piece of glass and goes flat. Why THEN? and why right THERE? Although I reckon most Vredestien tyres are better at placating said fairy - maybe they perform a ceremony over each batch of tyres as they are on the loading dock or something - sprinkle them ritually with talcum powder, maybe?

M"velofolklorologist"H

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 at 03:18 GMT, mfhor (aka Bruce)
> I seem to remember Richard Bach (when I used to read his
> pre-hippy-dippy astral travel ramblings {apols. to relevant nickname
> holders ;)} ) coined the phrase "swim/walk/shower fairy" (NOT going

Who's dippy?

Love makes the world go 'round, with a little help from intrinsic
angular momentum. --unk

"TimC" <[email protected]
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 at 03:18 GMT, mfhor (aka Bruce)
> > I seem to remember Richard Bach (when I used to read his
> > pre-hippy-dippy astral travel ramblings {apols. to relevant nickname
> > holders ;)} ) coined the phrase "swim/walk/shower fairy" (NOT going

> Who's dippy?

hippy's slower-witted brother?

hippy