New Australian HPV distance record

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cfsmtb, Jun 2, 2008.

  1. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Last week many people absolutely stoked to hear of Ben & Jeff's Australian record making effort at DISC for a new 12-hour distance record for recumbent cycling.

    New Australian 12-hour record
    http://www.trisled.com.au/news.html

    But absolutely incredulous at the remarks made by the BV CEO tacked on the end of this local Leader newspapers article on the record efforts. Bizarre, totally unnecessary and somewhat nasty to say the least.

    ***

    Realising a riding ambition
    http://www.prestonleader.com.au/article/2008/06/02/36314_nlv_news.html

    Jeff Nielsen after breaking the recumbent bike record. Picture: JOSIE HAYDEN

    AFTER 12 hours cycling on his back, all Jeff Nielsen wanted was a burger.

    Nielsen, 25, rode 491.25km at Darebin International Sports Centre's (DISC) velodrome between 8pm on Sunday, May 25, and 8am on Monday, setting the Australian 12-hour distance record for recumbent cycling.

    The Gembrook nursery worker was zonked after the ride, but managed to string a few sentences together before hoeing into a McDonald's breakfast.

    "Towards the end it was a relief. Counting down the last couple of minutes to go the last five minutes were the longest five minutes of my life."

    Riding at an average speed of 45km/h he completed a lap roughly every 20 seconds in his spacepod-like three-wheeled fibreglass bike, named Overzealous.

    His heart raced at an average 165bpm, and he drank about 10 litres of water during the ride, making pit-stops every two to three hours.

    Nielsen is the first to attempt the 12-hour recumbent record in Australia. His goal is to break the 24-hour distance record of 1041km, set in Canada in 2006.

    "Eventually I want to go for about 1200km."

    Nielsen and his supporters say breaking the record is a step towards bringing recumbent bikes into mainstream commuter use.

    "For a long time they've been boxed as the bike of choice for university professors, but that's changing," said Tri-Sled recumbent bike designer Ben Goodall, who builds Nielsen's bikes.

    Thanks to superior aerodynamics, the top recumbent speed on a flat road is 136km/h, roughly twice the speed of an upright bike.

    Goodall said recumbents were safer, more comfortable, and faster than upright bikes, and sales were growing.

    But Bicycle Victoria chief executive Harry Barber said recumbents were too wide and too hard to pedal uphill for the typical commuter.

    "I think that the 1880s safety bicycle, which we're still riding today, 125 years later, is a pretty tried and tested design," he said.

    But recumbents were great for quiet country roads, and for people with back or balance problems, he said.

    For Nielsen and Goodall the challenge has only just begun.

    They expect to return to DISC velodrome next year, probably with a new bike design, to break the world 12-hour record of 607km on their way to the 24-hour mark.

    "There's still a window of improvement needed to break the world mark," Goodall said.

    "Jeff's definitely a contender. We're not wasting our time."

    Tags:

  2. BT Humble

    BT Humble Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > But absolutely incredulous at the remarks made by the BV CEO tacked on
    > the end of this local Leader newspapers article on the record efforts.
    > Bizarre, totally unnecessary and somewhat nasty to say the least.

    I dunno, I think it was a suitably restrained contrast to the bit of
    pro-recumbent propaganda in the paragraph before it! ;-)

    > ***
    > Goodall said recumbents were safer, more comfortable, and faster than
    > upright bikes, and sales were growing.
    >
    > But Bicycle Victoria chief executive Harry Barber said recumbents were
    > too wide and too hard to pedal uphill for the typical commuter.
    >
    > "I think that the 1880s safety bicycle, which we're still riding today,
    > 125 years later, is a pretty tried and tested design," he said.
    >
    > But recumbents were great for quiet country roads, and for people with
    > back or balance problems, he said.

    BTH

  3. In aus.bicycle on Mon, 2 Jun 2008 04:23:52 -0700 (PDT)
    BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:
    > cfsmtb wrote:
    >> But absolutely incredulous at the remarks made by the BV CEO tacked on
    >> the end of this local Leader newspapers article on the record efforts.
    >> Bizarre, totally unnecessary and somewhat nasty to say the least.

    > I dunno, I think it was a suitably restrained contrast to the bit of
    > pro-recumbent propaganda in the paragraph before it! ;-)
    >
    >> ***
    >> Goodall said recumbents were safer, more comfortable, and faster than
    >> upright bikes, and sales were growing.
    >>
    >> But Bicycle Victoria chief executive Harry Barber said recumbents were
    >> too wide and too hard to pedal uphill for the typical commuter.

    Dunno what "too wide" is. And hills is hills, I am riding up Melville
    St where some upright riders pass me and some are walking...

    I presume he's like many and thinks "recumbent" is another word for
    "trike".

    Zebee
    - who notes that trikes are good to get up hills: no balance
    problems!

  4. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Suitably restrained contrast? The article is about a national record achievement for HPVs. Can we look forward to special comments during the cycling events at Beijing in a few months?

    Actually it's rather inept journalism, a similar analogy would be akin to the NRMA's Alan Evans talking about the grid positions for the next Clipsal 500.

  5. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2008-06-02, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)
    > New Australian 12-hour record
    > http://www.trisled.com.au/news.html
    >
    > But absolutely incredulous at the remarks made by the BV CEO tacked on
    > the end of this local Leader newspapers article on the record efforts.
    > Bizarre, totally unnecessary and somewhat nasty to say the least.

    Huh?

    > "Jeff's definitely a contender. We're not wasting our time."

    This one?

    Isn't he just saying that Jeff is a contender to the distance record,
    but upriders aren't, and hence won't bother competing once Jeff has
    it? He doesn't appear, to me, to be saying that Jeff is wasting his
    time.

    --
    TimC
    -o)

  6. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Nope, although your reading skills seem to be a bit off today.

  7. BT Humble

    BT Humble Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > TimC Wrote:
    >
    > > > "Jeff's definitely a contender. We're not wasting our time."

    > > This one?

    > Nope, although your reading skills seem to be a bit off today.[/color]

    May I be so bold as to suggest that perhaps you're being a trifle over-
    sensitve?

    BTH

  8. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Nah, just pointing out the obvious, simply the wrong quote was citied. Although your spellchecker seems to be a bit off too.

  9. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2008-06-04, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

    > BT Humble Wrote:
    >> cfsmtb wrote:

    >> > Nope, although your reading skills seem to be a bit off

    >> today.

    >> May I be so bold as to suggest that perhaps you're being a trifle
    >> over-
    >> sensitve?

    > Nah, just pointing out the obvious, simply the wrong quote was citied.
    > Although your spellchecker seems to be a bit off too.[/color]

    Well, you did say "tacked on the end of this local Leader newspapers
    article". And at the end of this local Leader newspapers article, was
    the quote I listed. Sorry for being too literal.

    I'm still having trouble finding a "bizarre, totally unnecessary and
    somewhat nasty" quote of Harry's towards the end of said article, as
    much as I don't like the man.

    --
    TimC
    You must realize that the computer has it in for you. The irrefutable

  10. BT Humble

    BT Humble Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > BTHumble Wrote:
    > > May I be so bold as to suggest that perhaps you're being a trifle
    > > over-
    > > sensitve?

    > Nah, just pointing out the obvious, simply the wrong quote was citied.
    > Although your spellchecker seems to be a bit off too.

    Nope, nothing wrong with my spell chequer!

    BTH

  11. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    We're just going to prepare to agree to disagree on that point, as there's been mucho commentary elsewhere who perceived the comments as out of whack. Further idle chatter from both sandal-wearing and non-sandal wearing 'bent supporters on the Audax, CM-Melb & Oz-HPV lists and various blogs & forums including these ones:

    http://treadly.net/2008/06/03/why-harry-why/
    http://www.bv.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9460

  12. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    bring back the speling cow!

  13. BT Humble

    BT Humble Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > BT Humble Wrote:
    > > Nope, nothing wrong with my spell chequer!

    > bring back the speling cow!

    That's better! It's a USENET tradition to make at least one mistake
    when you're delivering a spelling falme.

    BTH

  14. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Or a deliberate typo for added affect.

  15. The Doctor

    The Doctor Guest

    cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > His heart raced at an average 165bpm, and he drank about 10 litres of
    > water during the ride, making pit-stops every two to three hours.

    Hi Chris,

    Is the 10 litres water needed because of the overheating issue of
    being inside a fairing?

    Anthony

  16. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    For those specific details, ask Ben directly, as the journo probably just wrote what was directly reported to her. Although there maybe a few people lurking on here who have been involved with trials or even the Energy Breakthrough schools stuff who could provide more about their experiences.

    http://www.trisled.com.au/
    http://www.racvenergybreakthrough.net/

  17. theo

    theo Guest

    On Jun 6, 10:53 am, cfsmtb <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > The Doctor Wrote:
    >

    > > Is the 10 litres water needed because of the overheating issue of
    > > being inside a fairing?

    > For those specific details, ask Ben directly, as the journo probably
    > just wrote what was directly reported to her. Although there maybe a few
    > people lurking on here who have been involved with trials or even the
    > Energy Breakthrough schools stuff who could provide more about their
    > experiences.
    >
    > http://www.trisled.com.au/http://www.racvenergybreakthrough.net/

    I would expect that the excertion would have involved a lot of fluid
    loss. My personal experience as a firefighter had me consuming 14 x
    600 ml bottles of water in a 12 hour day once.

    Cheers
    Theo

  18. On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 16:32:28 -0700 (PDT), theo <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I would expect that the excertion would have involved a lot of fluid
    >loss. My personal experience as a firefighter had me consuming 14 x
    >600 ml bottles of water in a 12 hour day once.

    Your personal supply of water to put out fires, but with a small hose ?

  19. theo

    theo Guest

    On Jun 9, 7:43 am, Ayce Buffette <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 16:32:28 -0700 (PDT), theo <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >I would expect that the excertion would have involved a lot of fluid
    > >loss. My personal experience as a firefighter had me consuming 14 x
    > >600 ml bottles of water in a 12 hour day once.

    > Your personal supply of water to put out fires, but with a small hose ?

    Actually, I obviously wasn't drinking enough water, as I did not need
    to pee all day.

    Theo