New Bicycle

David Springthrope

Guest
In the process of buying one (Giant Sedona) after not having cycled for a very
long time. The guy seemed to think that a size 14 frame (XS) was right for me
even though I'm 5' 7" tall (or short). Does this size sound correct - I though
I'd be taking a larger size than this ?

Thanks.

"David Springthrope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In the process of buying one (Giant Sedona) after not having cycled for a
> very
> long time. The guy seemed to think that a size 14 frame (XS) was right for
> me
> even though I'm 5' 7" tall (or short). Does this size sound correct - I
> though
> I'd be taking a larger size than this ?
>
> Thanks.

I have just sold a Sedona, but only because I needed to purge my bicycle
fleet. Giants are nice bikes and quite well specified.
I am also 5'7'' tall and unless you have a peculiar physique a 14" or XS
size Sedona is going to be too small for you. I rode a 17" or S size Sedona
and in retrospect I could have done with a 19" or M size because I had the
seat post at full height in order to get the right leg extension when
pedalling. My crotch measurement or Pubic Bone Height is 82cm.
Go here http://www.rivbike.com/article/bike_fit/pbh_and_how_to_measure_it
and those nice folks at Rivendell Bicycle Works will tell you how to measure
yours.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/lifestyle/1135/28954/ for geometry
of Sedona.

PH

"David Springthrope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In the process of buying one (Giant Sedona) after not having cycled for a
> very
> long time. The guy seemed to think that a size 14 frame (XS) was right for
> me
> even though I'm 5' 7" tall (or short). Does this size sound correct - I
> though
> I'd be taking a larger size than this ?
>
> Thanks.

No - the 14" is too small for you unless you're proportioned a lot
diffrently from the average. At 5'7" I'd recommend a 17" or even a 19" (I'm
5'8" and ride a 19" in general). Since you're a newbie I'd be mention the
17" (because the suspension seatpost doesn't allow the seat to go as far
down) with a view to trading up in a couple of years as you stretch into
position. Alternatively, try a 19" and if the seat doesn't go down far
enough for you change out the suspension post (keep it for later). My first
pick would be the 19" as a long term prospect. It'll fit you better as you
become more used to cycling.

It's coming to the end of the Giant stock year. It may be that your guy is
trying to dispose of stock before the new stuff arrives. I see it a lot in
my shop when newbies come in with badly fitted bikes. On the weekend we had
a 6'4" guy on a 14" Yukon he'd bought elsewhere (one of the franchised chain
stores). He was after a longer stem because he felt cramped up. poor sod's
knees were nearly up around his ears!

My advice is to go to another shop.

Cheers,

Frank

David Springthrope wrote:
> In the process of buying one (Giant Sedona) after not having cycled for a very
> long time. The guy seemed to think that a size 14 frame (XS) was right for me
> even though I'm 5' 7" tall (or short). Does this size sound correct - I though
> I'd be taking a larger size than this ?

I am only 5' 8" tall (well short) as well and I own and ride a 17" and a
19". I have short legs for my height and I am just as comfortable on
the 19" as the 17" (I reckon an 18" would be perfect for me).

I'd be very surprised if a 14 isn't way too small for you...

G-S

On Sun, 11 May 2008 23:03:30 +1000, David Springthrope
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In the process of buying one (Giant Sedona) after not having cycled for a very
>long time. The guy seemed to think that a size 14 frame (XS) was right for me
>even though I'm 5' 7" tall (or short). Does this size sound correct - I though
>I'd be taking a larger size than this ?
>
>Thanks.

Looks like I'll have to get back to them urgently - they (won't say who, but in
Sydney) were ordering one in for me.

On Mon, 12 May 2008 09:15:39 +1000, David Springthrope
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Looks like I'll have to get back to them urgently - they (won't say who, but in
>Sydney) were ordering one in for me.

Went back and got re-measured by someone more senior and we both agreed the next
size up was more suitable. The Giant specifications I viewed in another shop as
an independent check showed that at 5' 6" (I must have shrunk !) I was right in
the middle of the range for the preferred size (17"). Because of run-out of
stock (not just at the shop) I had to go up a model but I got a good deal off
RRP.

Thanks.

David Springthrope:

> In the process of buying one (Giant Sedona) after not having cycled for a very
> long time. The guy seemed to think that a size 14 frame (XS) was right for me
> even though I'm 5' 7" tall (or short). Does this size sound correct - I though
> I'd be taking a larger size than this ?

I'm about your height and, from:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bikes/lifestyle/1135/28954/

I'd be getting the XS.
--
HTH,
Steve = : ^ )

David Springthrope:

> On Sun, 11 May 2008 23:03:30 +1000, David Springthrope
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> In the process of buying one (Giant Sedona) after not having cycled for a
>> very
>> long time. The guy seemed to think that a size 14 frame (XS) was right for me
>> even though I'm 5' 7" tall (or short). Does this size sound correct - I
>> though
>> I'd be taking a larger size than this ?
>>
>> Thanks.

> Looks like I'll have to get back to them urgently - they (won't say who, but
> in
> Sydney) were ordering one in for me.

Hmmm. Well it looks like I'm full of sh1t. I was looking at the top tube
length and comparing that to my road bike, and 540 is about the longest I'm
comfortable with.
--
Steve = : ^ )

"David Springthrope" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 12 May 2008 09:15:39 +1000, David Springthrope
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Looks like I'll have to get back to them urgently - they (won't say who, but in
>>Sydney) were ordering one in for me.

> Went back and got re-measured by someone more senior and we both agreed the next
> size up was more suitable. The Giant specifications I viewed in another shop as
> an independent check showed that at 5' 6" (I must have shrunk !) I was right in
> the middle of the range for the preferred size (17"). Because of run-out of
> stock (not just at the shop) I had to go up a model but I got a good deal off
> RRP.
>
> Thanks.

17". If your arms are very long, get a longer stem. Otherwise fine. My brother has a Giant.

T.