New cassette: what gears to select?

Slingshot

Guest
Hi- I'd like to install a new cassette. What's the decision tree for deciding between different
tooth counts on gears?

Thanks

On 3 Jun 2003 11:09:05 -0700, [email protected] (Slingshot) from
http://groups.google.com/ wrote:

>Hi- I'd like to install a new cassette. What's the decision tree for deciding between different
>tooth counts on gears?

The faster you want to go, choose a smaller number of teeth. If you have lots of hills, choose a
larger number. Compromise as you see fit.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace He probably just wants to take over my CELLS
and then EXPLODE inside me like a BARREL of runny CHOPPED LIVER! Or maybe he'd like to

On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 11:09:05 +0000, Slingshot wrote:

> Hi- I'd like to install a new cassette. What's the decision tree for deciding between different
> tooth counts on gears?

If you are unhappy with the gears on the old cassette, ask yourself why. Too big a jump? Too high,
not high enough? That will help your decision. You do have to know what you have, though. Usually
just counting the teeth on the largest, and smallest cog will be enough to narrow it down to one
available standard cassette (that is, if you have a 12-26 9-speed cassette, you have
12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-26). Then head in the direction that will address your problems.

It is not a big deal decision. It is a part that requires periodic replacement, anyway, and is
cheap. You don't like what you get, get another. Some of us go to great lengths to optimize the
choice of each cog for our needs, but you don't have to.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | This is my religion. There is no need for temples; no need for _`\(,_ | complicated
philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our (_)/ (_) | temple. The philosophy is kindness.
--The Dalai Lama

Thanks, David, for your reply. I do, in fact, have a 13-26 cassette, and I'm happy with it, but I
wanted to see if there was more thought required than just replacing the existing. Although when
you remind me that it's cheap and easily replaced, there's no reason not to experiment with
different options.

Thanks again!