New cassette: what gears to select?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Slingshot, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. Slingshot

    Slingshot Guest

    Hi- I'd like to install a new cassette. What's the decision tree for deciding between different
    tooth counts on gears?

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On 3 Jun 2003 11:09:05 -0700, [email protected] (Slingshot) from
    http://groups.google.com/ wrote:

    >Hi- I'd like to install a new cassette. What's the decision tree for deciding between different
    >tooth counts on gears?

    The faster you want to go, choose a smaller number of teeth. If you have lots of hills, choose a
    larger number. Compromise as you see fit.

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace He probably just wants to take over my CELLS
    and then EXPLODE inside me like a BARREL of runny CHOPPED LIVER! Or maybe he'd like to

  3. On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 11:09:05 +0000, Slingshot wrote:

    > Hi- I'd like to install a new cassette. What's the decision tree for deciding between different
    > tooth counts on gears?

    If you are unhappy with the gears on the old cassette, ask yourself why. Too big a jump? Too high,
    not high enough? That will help your decision. You do have to know what you have, though. Usually
    just counting the teeth on the largest, and smallest cog will be enough to narrow it down to one
    available standard cassette (that is, if you have a 12-26 9-speed cassette, you have
    12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-26). Then head in the direction that will address your problems.

    It is not a big deal decision. It is a part that requires periodic replacement, anyway, and is
    cheap. You don't like what you get, get another. Some of us go to great lengths to optimize the
    choice of each cog for our needs, but you don't have to.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | This is my religion. There is no need for temples; no need for _`\(,_ | complicated
    philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our (_)/ (_) | temple. The philosophy is kindness.
    --The Dalai Lama

  4. Slingshot

    Slingshot Guest

    Thanks, David, for your reply. I do, in fact, have a 13-26 cassette, and I'm happy with it, but I
    wanted to see if there was more thought required than just replacing the existing. Although when
    you remind me that it's cheap and easily replaced, there's no reason not to experiment with
    different options.

    Thanks again!