New Chain/Cassette

nathang

Jan 29, 2004
I am about to take delivery of a nice new set of wheels.
The cassette and chain on my bike have done about 10000ks.
I am considering putting a new cassette on my old wheels and buying a new chain that I can use with both wheel sets(both with new cassettes).I will probably average around 150ks per week on the old wheels and 100ks on the new ones.
The other senario is to have a different chain for each wheelset.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Can you be bothered to change chains with each wheel change?

Why not just use one chain and replace the chain when worn .5% (Campag spec). If you are pedantic, segment of chain that contains the quick link is typically longer than any other segments. This could be an argument for not using quick links if you are really concerned about the evenness of wear.

One chain, two cassettes. You MAY run into issues with the old cassette having 10k on it. Measure the old chain and see what the spec is. If it's .5 or below the new chain SHOULD be ok with both cassettes. If the chain is severely worn than your cassette likely is as well.

Swapping chains with wheels? Makes no freakin' sense even with a quick link.

Another potential approach is to swap the cassettes around to balance the wear on the cassettes.

IIRC, the common wisdom is that a cassette should last for the life of two chains.

capwater said:

Plus it would just accelerate wear on the crank chainrings swapping back and forth to chains with slightly different link lengths all the time.

capwater said:
One chain, two cassettes. You MAY run into issues with the old cassette having 10k on it. Measure the old chain and see what the spec is. If it's .5 or below the new chain SHOULD be ok with both cassettes. If the chain is severely worn than your cassette likely is as well.

The possible plan was to put a new cassette on my old wheelset,then my two wheelsets have new cassettes to be used with the same chain

I'd go for a different chain for each cassette, as the chain will wear with the cassette. Get ones that are easy to put on and remove.

But seriously, here's someone who runs their cassette and chains for 10k, up to 3x longer than what others do with their chain. I'd bet that it doesn't matter what perfect regime one can come up with right now, at the end of the day, convenience will win out. Forget it, just use what you have for what's it worth. Enjoy what you can out of your equipment and replace whatever needs replacing when the time comes.