New here - advice

tiggy

Jul 8, 2009
I am nearly 50 and had a stroke last year and whilst I have never been able to ride a bike (tried a few times and just could not do it) I really want to learn to ride a bike so I can go off with my hubby to get fitter - can I buy stabilers - have seen them but not sure how good they would be and if they would be safe as well - ideally would like a tricycle as my balance is rubbish after the stroke but they are so expensive - are they really easy to ride because if they are maybe I would have to pay for one of these but only if they are easy to ride.

tiggy said:
I am nearly 50 and had a stroke last year and whilst I have never been able to ride a bike (tried a few times and just could not do it) I really want to learn to ride a bike so I can go off with my hubby to get fitter - can I buy stabilers - have seen them but not sure how good they would be and if they would be safe as well - ideally would like a tricycle as my balance is rubbish after the stroke but they are so expensive - are they really easy to ride because if they are maybe I would have to pay for one of these but only if they are easy to ride.

I'd think you could find a local bike shop to let you take one out for a test ride to see if you like it.

And then, if you don't appreciate your LBS helping you, you could bottom-feed for a cheap trike on Craigslist or eBay.