New Old Stock 7700 shifters or Tiagra 9-speed?

CDINCA

Mar 12, 2012
I'm very new to cycling, so I am sorry if this question is stupid.

I got a bike at a very good price, but it had sora shifters.

I have been looking to upgrade shifters and found some new in box dura ace 7700 for just under 200.

so, would I be better off with these, or a new set of Tiagra shifters?

Thanks in advance.

I think I should be more specific with my questions. I have purchased these shifters, but before I mount them I am wondering: 1. Has the technology changed in such a way that the Tiagra of New are just as good or better than 9 speed era Dura Ace shifters? 2. Would there be any conflict between my Sora/Tiagra components and the Dura Ace shifters? 3. I know that new in box 9 speed dura ace shifters must be hard to find, might they have a value to someone else beyond just being a good shifter? I haven't seen any others, so I don't know how to judge their worth. Thanks again

Originally Posted by CDINCA .

I think I should be more specific with my questions. I[COLOR= #0000ff] have purchased these shifters[/COLOR], but before I mount them I am wondering:
1. Has the technology changed in such a way that the Tiagra of New are just as good or better than 9 speed era Dura Ace shifters?
2. Would there be any conflict between my Sora/Tiagra components and the Dura Ace shifters?
3. I know that new in box 9 speed dura ace shifters must be hard to find, might they have a value to someone else beyond just being a good shifter? I haven't seen any others, so I don't know how to judge their worth.
Not to worry ... you made a [COLOR= #0000ff]very good purchase.[/COLOR]

FWIW. The ONLY option which may-or-may-not have been better ([COLOR= #808080]depending on where you ride and/or your aesthetic sensibilities[/COLOR]) would have been a pair of 10-or-11=speed Campagnolo shifters ...

New Campagnolo shifters can be readily found on eBay for less than $200US, 24/7/365.

Thank you for the reply alfeng.

I am trying to wrap my brain around this chart.

following the "shimano 9" row across to the "old dura ace" columns to where it says S8.

what does that S8 mean?

or, you could point me to the link that the graphic came from and I could try to sort it out.

and, to be clear on the Campagnolo shifters, I would have to switch out all my components to 10 or 11 speed, right?

I am trying to wrap my brain around this chart.

following the "shimano 9" row across to the "old dura ace" columns to where it says S8.

what does that S8 mean?
Matrices do tend to be obtuse until you understand what they mean ...

First, "old Dura Ace" refers to connecting the rear deraileur cable at 9 o'clock ...

The other abbrevations are as follows:

• 'C9' == Campagnolo 9-speed indexing

• 'S8' == Shimano 8-speed indexing
  • 'S9' == Shimano 9-speed indexing
  • et cetera

-- A 10-speed Campagnolo shifter + 8-/9-speed Shimano rear derailleur == 8-speed Shimano indexing

• FWIW. My initial mismatch of a set of Campagnolo shifters was with a 9-speed, XT-750 rear derailleur + 8-speed ([COLOR= #ff8c00]older, unramped[/COLOR]) 12-30 XT Cassette ... I deemed the indexing to be perfect ...
[*] about the same time ([COLOR= #808080]thanks to SANTANA TANDEMS[/COLOR]), I read about using the hubbub.com connection to create 9-speed Shimano indexing when using a 10-speed Campagnolo shifter + 9-speed Shimano rear derailleur
[*] someone else in this Forum posted the link to an earlier version of Chris Juden's matrix for mixing-and-matching Campagnolo shifters with Shimano rear derailleurs

-- A 10-speed Campagnolo shifter + 9-speed Shimano RD using a hubbub.com RD cable connection ([COLOR= #808080]see FOLLOWING picture[/COLOR]) == 9-speed Shimano indexing

• I used the hubbubcom cable anchoring for several years

-- An 11-speed Campagnolo shifter + 9-speed Shimano RD == 9-speed Shimano indexing

• I have not tried this, yet

AND, despite the apparent contention by many that 8-/9-speed Shimano rear derailleurs have the same geometry as 10-speed Shimano Rear Derailleurs ... I contend that the geometry of a 10-speed Shimano rear derailleur is equivalent to a hubbub'd rear derailleur ...

Consequently, I suggest that:

-- A 10-speed Campagolo shifter + 10-speed Shimano RD == 9-speed Shimano indexing

• This is what I currently prefer to use ...

Quote:
and, to be clear on the Campagnolo shifters, I would have to switch out all my components to 10 or 11 speed, right?

And, here is an example of the last combination:

The pictured bike has 10-speed Campagnolo shifters, a 10-speed Shimano 105 rear derailleur + 9-speed 11-32 XT Cassette + 9-speed Shimano 6503 front derailleur + 9-speed Shimano chain ...

Reactions: steve
WOW. You sure know your stuff. That was a bit over my head, but you've given me a great starting point to learn more. Thanks again.