New rider - can't decide

aicabsolut

Jul 18, 2006
Hi everyone. I'm another newbie. I grew up on flat, flat ground with those girly cruisers, and didn't spend much time on a bike. I ran a lot and was a serious equestrian (I've had the option of turning pro, but I've chosen higher ed instead). After too many running-related injuries (medial tibial stress syndrome, osteochondral injury of my right talus), I've been cycling indoors for the past year or so. I've gotten stronger and have been working on endurance and form as much as possible in these conditions.

Now my ankle is more stable, but since running is still out and I don't have enough time and money for horses, cycling it is. I just moved to an area with a lot of paved trails and pretty bike-friendly roads (for a large city). I could also hit some hills and country road riding when I visit my family nearby.

Long-winded intro, but here are my other issues: I'm leaning towards carbon because 1) I won't be able to afford upgrading bikes for a while, 2) I've got pelvic symmetry and SI joint problems, and carbon might be kinder to me, 3) I'd probably need to upgrade some parts anyway (FSA seatpost per Steve Hogg's advice on cyclingnews forums), maybe FSA handlebars, and 4) I have learned from horseback riding and other sports that equipment quality is really important for preventing injury and ease of maintenance. This sport is a lot cheaper overall--you don't want to know what my English saddle costs :p, so I can justify something nice, just not pro-racer nice.

Some bike shops have tried to push some aluminum frames, but with entry level carbon bikes only being a little more expensive, I wonder if I shouldn't just go with carbon before the prices get jacked up with the supply shortage.

I'm gonig to go test ride some bikes in the next week or so. They're guessing I can fit a unisex 52 or 54 frame, but I'll probably try a couple women's bikes to compare (my upper body is proportioned more like a man's--long back, broad shoulders). Right now, I'm liking the Trek 5000 and the Specialized Roubaix, which are about the same price. Thoughts?

Am I being overzealous? :confused: I am very committed to any sport I decide to tackle, and cycling will be my #1 mode of exercise. I don't know how many miles I can handle off the bat, but I'm comfortable on a spin bike for a couple of hours at a time of middle to upper aerobic zone work. I don't think I'll be the best climber, but I've got the biomechanics of a decent sprinter. Maybe I'd eventually try some TTs. Right now I just want to get outside with a bike and computer and see where I am.

All I can recommend is test ride, test ride, test ride. Carbon is a great material because it does ride without the harshness of aluminum. That said, aluminum has come a long way and is fairly comfortable compared to the first aluminum bicycles. The Specialized Roubaix has been reviewed as one of the most comfortable road bikes. I believe Bicycling magazine called it one of the most comfortable road bikes they have ridden. The only other options are titanium or chrome-moly. Both metals have more give than carbon, but are more expensive, as in ti's case; or either real expensive, or too inexpensive; as in cro-mo's case. When you test ride, try to find a rough patch of road to see how compliant the bike is. Also, try to ride for a good bit of time (but not so much they think you're never coming back!). Remember, you will be spending a lot of time on a bike, so you need to get a feel for it (you did say you are committed!:p) Now as for the time trialing and sprinter thing, this is where aluminum and carbon shine because of their stiffness. TT'ers and sprinters need a platform that doesn't flex under heavy load. Here it is a matter of preference. If you take a look at the different models for TT, you'll notice that they're split pretty much 50/50 between aluminum and carbon (with a few ti frames). A lot of sprinters I know prefer aluminum, as do I because the acceleration feels snappier on an aluminum bike (I ride a caad8 Cannondale) and I have ridden Trek's OCLV frame, which feels like it "spools up" before accelerating...again matter of preference. Good luck and I hope you find something you like!

Thanks for your help!! Here's an update.

I tried out 6 bikes yesterday (3 Trek, 3 Specialized), but only had time to take 3 of them (the Treks) out on the road and trails. I just did some parking lot laps on the Specialized, and am going back to the shop to get them out on the road.

Right now, I like the Specialized a million times more, and I am hoping it's not just the smoother ride of the parking lot. I am leaning towards the Roubaix Elite, though I did like the Tarmac Comp.. it might need some more tweaking--I had a harder time reaching the bars.

I've got a long back (not really so much a long torso in the classic sense, but I'm tall from sit bones to the top of my head), but 2 shops told me the right size bike is still a 54 because my inseam is apparently not that short for a female either. Honestly, I did feel a little more comfortable on a 52 I tried and a women's Trek as far as height goes, because I am not the most graceful mounter and dismounter yet (having grown up on cruisers where you could sit on the saddle and stick a foot down).

The men's Trek bikes were too hard to grip the brakes. I liked the women's bars much better. But the top tube on the women's bike was too cramped. My elbows felt like they were in my lap and I was sitting a lot more upright. The Trek 5000 was a complete disaster. I felt 100% out of control, wobbling all over the place...I couldn't get it back to the shop fast enough! The women's model I tried was a 1200 I think, so it was very rough. I was mostly trying out size. Then they put me on a Madone 5.2, which had the best ride for all the Treks and was much easier to handle, except for gripping the brake levers. And my upper body felt completely worn out after a very brief ride.

I also felt a little out of control on the Specialized Tarmac Comp. I think getting that low on a bike with my tall torso made me unbalanced. It's probably fixable by moving things around--getting my weight back farther and shortening the reach to the bars. I'm not sure it's the right bike for my pelvic issues either.. but I'll see when I get out on the road.

The Roubaix so far is a winner. I feel the most comfortable and stable. I had the least trouble standing up to pedal (which I've said is a new thing for me). And taking it over what bumps I could find so far seemed ok. I am not a fan of the saddle it comes with, but that's minor.

I am open to other brands.. I just wanted to start with these to make the process less overwhelming. Based on how much I do NOT like the Trek geometry (and ride), are there any other brands I should be sure to look at, particularly if I'm not completely sold on the Specialized after my next ride?

You could look at Terry Bicycles at http://www.terrybicycles.com/index.html
They make bicycles that fit very well for different shaped cyclists. There is also Giant bicycles, but they really don't offer anything too different from Specialized as they use compact frames as well. There is also Fuji Bicycles, which makes some nice bicycles for their price. Do a search on bicycle shops in your area and you may find different brands. Good luck!!

PS...If you are still unsure about how you fit on a bicycle, find a bike shop that does a professional fitting. It'll cost money, but the measurements you get will help greatly in finding a bicycle that fits your unique proportions.

graphixgeek said:
PS...If you are still unsure about how you fit on a bicycle, find a bike shop that does a professional fitting. It'll cost money, but the measurements you get will help greatly in finding a bicycle that fits your unique proportions.
Thanks. There are a lot of shops here, but the main brands they keep in stock are Trek, Specialized, and Cannondale. Some Bianchi, some LeMond that I've seen. I will try to track down some of the brands you've mentioned.

The shop where I tried the Trek bikes yesterday does have this weird contraption for measuring everything. However, they told me that they only do professional fittings for people who want to build a custom bike. For me, they had some ideas for components to swap out on a stock bike, like a different stem, but it seemed like they'd just pop the bike up on the trainer and keep swapping out different parts until I thought it felt good enough to me, then stick me back out on the road for a final test ride to be sure.

Both shops I've been going to have fit guarantees. I've really only had my shoulder width and inseam measured so far. Other than the thing Specialized has to measure your sit bones to pick seat sizes, I'm not sure they're going to measure anything else. The other shops in the area are not nearly as good for fitting or even having as knowledgeable staff from what I've heard. I've looked into a couple of them anyway.. and was not impressed. Just wanting to unload the closeout sales on me and some lower end aluminum, had no guarantees for fit or maintenance, and the staff was condescending.

The professional fitting does help for custom bikes, but it also helps to swap out components as well. A lot easier to swap stuff out when you have measurements to work from don't you think? It sounds to me that you have encountered the bane of LBS's: the lazy bike shop employee. LBS's wonder why people go to online stores, sports specialty stores, or online merchants. Being a former LBS employee myself, I did a fitting and then used the measurements to find the right parts: stem, handlebar, crank, frame size, etc. I'm pretty passionate about bicycles and I tried to make sure the customer had a bike that was comfortable and enjoyable to ride. It was also a lot easier than picking random parts and swapping until I found the right one!
smile.gif
I hope you find a bicycle that makes you happy, keep me posted!

Funny how personal differences are......I rode both Specialized and Trek and for me the Treks, were very noticeably better. Once I went carbon, there was no looking back. I agree on the Madone having a great ride. I bought a 5.9SL and am looking at the 5.2 for a backup. I want to mirror as closely as possible the rides between the two. I still run, but cycling has definitely become my favorite activity.

Good luck and keep test riding until you find the one you can't live without. Go back and forth between the bikes on the same roads if you can to see which you prefer. They fitting is not something to take lightly and the LBS should take the time to make sure you're happy.

I've encountered quite a few people who are pleased with the quality of Bianchi's bikes.

I would definitely second the opinion to persue being fitted by someone that knows what the hell they are doing. You don't want to create or worsen any issues that you may already have with your Pelvis... and as a newer rider, knowing that you have the optimal set-up for your body is a reassuring feeling. You don't want to be riding around for two months getting a cramp after the first 5 miles and ultimately getting discouraged simply because you're seat is not adjusted properly. If they reccomend a 54cm as opposed to a 52cm I would trust them, because they probaby do know thier stuff. Later on down the road you don't want to be second guessing your choice.

Good luck and have fun shopping.

At this level, it really is all about the fit and personal preference. I was torn between the Specialized Roubaix Elite and Trek Pilot 5.2. For me, the Specialized Tarmac, Trek Madone, and Felt f5c were too stretched out compared to the Roubaix and Pilot. I ended up with the Roubaix and love it, but everyone is different. If you like something else better, that does not make either of us wrong.

I just bought my bike a little over a month ago. I was trying to decide between the Trek 5000 and the Trek pilot 2.1 spa.

I decided on the smoother ride the 2.1 spa gave. Due to the back problems I have had in the past. The spa has cardon forks and a carbon seatpost. And the travel in the rear due to the "spa" modification. I found it to be great. I'm doing up to 50 mile rides on it now without and issues. Other than a little fingernumbness which I am still making small tweaks to resolve.

If you still want to check out some additional bikes check out my newbie bike search post at:

http://roadcycling.net/t360912.html

I've been doing the same thing that you were, checking out lots of different bikes, narrowing it down to two bikes and then trying to make a decision. I got a lot of very positive responses on the OCR Giant composite bikes, which are incredibly inexpensive right now, with huge discounts from MSRP. As well, they're recommended for newbies, because of their relaxed geometry.

Good luck in your search - hope you're excited as I've been in looking for (and finding) a new bike - happy riding

Ok, I made a decision. I went with the Roubaix Comp Double, 54. (A little cheesy with the Gerolsteiner logo, but it's much less noticeable than those team Discovery bikes). I took it out on a road and up through the driveways of these apartment complexes, where I found some little hills and lots of speed bumps. It was really comfy and the shifting and braking smooth. I compared it to the Elite, and though I think the model they had me get on needed some tuneups, I liked the Comp enough to spend the extra money. There's a 30day (or as long as it's saleable) moneyback guarantee if I change my mind, and free tuneups for a year. Basically, a lifetime fit guarantee when I get it really fitted (see below). There were some Bianchi's in the shop that I thought about trying, but I liked this one so much better than the others I'd tried, that I was pretty much sold right away.

They don't do their 'pro fit' on the weekends (yep, ANOTHER lazy bike shop), so I'll go back during the week for that. I might need smaller bars (these are 42s), but I'm not sure yet. And I could need a wider seat or a women's seat, but I'm waiting to find some cycling gear with a chamois I actually like first and see how this goes (I need a short with a minimal chamois but more than an itty bitty inseam--I more or less want a women's version of a men's team pair).

I'm waiting for a helmet I ordered to arrive, and I've got to get the pedals I want from another shop, so I don't mind the wait too much. I'm thinking about Look pedals, because I want some float and a more platform style is reassuring as I get used to clipping in on the fly (instead of in a gym). The shop where I got the bike likes to push the Speedplay lollipop things, which seem really tiny for my novice self. Any thoughts on Looks?

The only issue I can see with fit is that if the saddle is back where I like it, the reach is a tad far, though not as bad as the Treks. I could fix that with a different stem, right? Hard to tell right now since the seat isn't exactly where it will be when I get the right pedals and cleats adjusted.

Thanks for all your help, everyone! I didn't do as much more research as I thought I would need to. I just went with my gut on this one. I hope it winds up being a good decision. If not, I still have a chance to return it.

speedplays are great. don't let the size fool you. but i don't have anything bad to say about the looks.

and don't stress about the reach until you've got all the bits and pieces.

and a 54? are you about 5'9" or so? i guess you said you have a longer torso relative to your leg length than most.

if you're like me, you'll never really stop tinkering. have fun but don't obsess about whether or not it's absolutely perfect. you'll likely need many many miles before you can really tell exactly what works for you. and by that time you'll be wanting another ride. :p

I'm 5'7". But I appear pretty tall. I fit well on a rather tall horse, if that helps. :) I'm tall from sit bones to top of my head (more long backed than long waisted, I'd say), and my inseam is somewhere around 33-34". My dad is 5'10", and I can't even begin to get on his bike, even with flat tires :p . That said, the seatpost on this bike isn't exactly overexposed. I'm following the post here to go with the bike shop's recommendations on size.

Hmm... Is it bad that I'm a perfectionist? Lots of ego bruising awaits me. :eek:

aicabsolut said:
I'm 5'7". But I appear pretty tall. I fit well on a rather tall horse, if that helps. :) I'm tall from sit bones to top of my head (more long backed than long waisted, I'd say), and my inseam is somewhere around 33-34". My dad is 5'10", and I can't even begin to get on his bike, even with flat tires :p . That said, the seatpost on this bike isn't exactly overexposed. I'm following the post here to go with the bike shop's recommendations on size.

Hmm... Is it bad that I'm a perfectionist? Lots of ego bruising awaits me. :eek:
If you are a female...you may find this site useful. My wife loves it.

www.teamestrogen.com

Actually the Speedplays are easier to clip into on the fly as they're double sided as are the Crank Bros. (which have a larger platform). The Looks are good to as it is all a matter of preference anyway. Glad you found a bike!

graphixgeek said:
Actually the Speedplays are easier to clip into on the fly as they're double sided as are the Crank Bros. (which have a larger platform). The Looks are good to as it is all a matter of preference anyway. Glad you found a bike!
Hmm... double-sided. Good point.