New Sturmey-Archer Heritage Site

> OK, take a look at this one, typical of those listed under history:
>
> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-12.gif
>
> Tell me how sharp and clear this GIF shows up on your screen. These
> are the exploded views that interested me.

It's pretty good! Seems to be a combination of the dodgy original combined
with upping the contrast (or whatever) to get a nice white background.

Mark Thompson wrote:
>>OK, take a look at this one, typical of those listed under history:
>>
>>http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-12.gif
>>
>>Tell me how sharp and clear this GIF shows up on your screen. These
>>are the exploded views that interested me.

> It's pretty good! Seems to be a combination of the dodgy original combined
> with upping the contrast (or whatever) to get a nice white background.

Considering what it's a scan of I think it comes out quite nice when
viewed at full size. If the browser sizes it to fit then it's obviously
pretty unreadable.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

In rec.bicycles.misc [email protected] wrote:
> OK, take a look at this one, typical of those listed under history:
>
> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-12.gif
>
> Tell me how sharp and clear this GIF shows up on your screen.

That's a clear 3510 x 2550 picture, obviously someone invested time
in manually improving. You might have to make sure your browser
shows the original size and does not render a smaller resolution...

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer

[email protected] wrote in news:44053752$0$58099
[email protected]:

> Sheldon Brown writes:
>
>>> I just heard from Alan Clarke, the history maven at
>>> SunRace/Sturmey-Archer, that the long-awaited Sturmey-Archer
>>> Heritage Website is now online. I haven't yet had time to explore
>>> it thoroughly, but a quick skim shows lots of gems...

>>> Epicyclic fans should check it out at:

> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com
>
>> Alan probably knows more about Sturmey-Archer hubs than anybody
>> living.

>> He went to a HUGE amount of trouble to dig through his amazing
>> collection of old data to put this up, even though he's not a
>> Webmaster by trade.

>> And what's the reaction? A bunch of crybabies kvetching and
>> whining.

>> I wonder why he bothered.

> OK, take a look at this one, typical of those listed under history:
>
> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-12.gif
>
> Tell me how sharp and clear this GIF shows up on your screen. These
> are the exploded views that interested me.
>
> Jobst Brandt

These fractions are a bit smeared, but going by context:
N28, towards the right, looks like "(30 x 5/32 Balls)"
N30, far right, looks like "(11 x 7/32 Balls)"

Other than those two, everything else is sufficiently legible on
a 19in monitor set to 1600x1200.

In article <op.s5p1atccpheghf@ibm22761843607>,
"Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:55:30 -0800, <[email protected]>
> wrote:

> > http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com
> >
> >> Alan probably knows more about Sturmey-Archer hubs than anybody
> >> living.

> >> He went to a HUGE amount of trouble to dig through his amazing
> >> collection of old data to put this up, even though he's not a
> >> Webmaster by trade.

> >> And what's the reaction? A bunch of crybabies kvetching and
> >> whining.

> >> I wonder why he bothered.

> > OK, take a look at this one, typical of those listed under history:
> >
> > http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-12.gif
> >
> > Tell me how sharp and clear this GIF shows up on your screen. These
> > are the exploded views that interested me.
> >
> > Jobst Brandt

> Crystal clear GIF. The hand inked 1907 original may not be up to your
> standards. Have you ever done any drafting? Can you do better?
>
> Lorenzo L. Love
> http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
>
> "There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
> Ansel Adams

Exactly. A large image of a low resolution drawing.

--
Michael Press

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]')
wrote:

> Sheldon Brown writes:
>
>>> I just heard from Alan Clarke, the history maven at
>>> SunRace/Sturmey-Archer, that the long-awaited Sturmey-Archer
>>> Heritage Website is now online. I haven't yet had time to explore
>>> it thoroughly, but a quick skim shows lots of gems...

>>> Epicyclic fans should check it out at:

> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com
>
>> Alan probably knows more about Sturmey-Archer hubs than anybody
>> living.

Poor chap. It is, as far as one knows, untreatable.

> OK, take a look at this one, typical of those listed under history:
>
> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-12.gif
>
> Tell me how sharp and clear this GIF shows up on your screen. These
> are the exploded views that interested me.

It's as sharp and clear on my screen as I assume the original was one the
draftman's table. This is British engineering drawing from the 1900s,
remember. Quality it ain't; but then (like the mechanism it illustrates)
it almost certainly never was. Even the best of modern scanning can't
render detail which was never drawn.

;; killing [afghan|iraqi] civilians is not 'justice'

in message <[email protected]>,
JeffWills ('[email protected]') wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> OK, take a look at this one, typical of those listed under history:
>>
>> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-12.gif
>>
>> Tell me how sharp and clear this GIF shows up on your screen. These
>> are the exploded views that interested me.

> I did as other folks said- I downloaded the image then opened it in an
> image editor (MS Photo Editor in my case). The image is good enough to
> tell that some of it has been edited by hand at some point in the past.
> It's nowhere near an engineering drawing, but it's good enough to see
> that left side bearing retainer contains 19, 7/32" ball bearings.

You're assuming there was quality there in the first place. It looks to
me like a fairly typical British engineering drawing of the period.
Things have improved since - even in Britain.

Hobbit ringleader gives Sauron One in the Eye.

in message <4404a535.0@entanet>, Zog The Undeniable
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Sheldon Brown wrote:
>
>> Not sure what you're seeing, maybe there's a funky setting in your
>> browser. I checked out a bunch of the exploded diagrams and they're
>> 3510 x 2550 GIFs. That's actually an unusually large image to find on
>> the Web.

> IE (spit) often won't display very large GIFs at all.

IE and Sturmey Archer epicyclics. Now there are two pieces of technology
well suited to one another!

Ring of great evil
Small one casts it into flame
Bringing rise of Men ;; gonzoron

Pyromancer wrote:

>>http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com

> Very nice!
>
> But can we have whoever thought "sturmey-archerheritage.com" was a
> sensible choice of domain name made to buy every reader of urc a new
> bicycle please? That's awful in the extreme! Why not
> sturmey-archer-heritage.com? Hyphens should be used to make domain
> names more readable and to seperate words, this is the worst of both
> worlds.

In the age of google, who cares?

BugBear

Bill Baka wrote:
> which will cause fuzziness. There were a few links that didn't work
> quite right but overall I will applaud his effort just for doing it and
> not complain about the site because I know how much trouble it is to
> build a fancy site (too much).

Site be damned. It's a LOT of effort to simply
put that much paper though a scanner, and keep
track of all the files that ensue.

Jeez, people - show a little gratitude.
This site is worth way more than we paid for it.

BugBear

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> OK, take a look at this one, typical of those listed under history:
>
> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-12.gif
>
> Tell me how sharp and clear this GIF shows up on your screen. These
> are the exploded views that interested me.

I can almost read "Sturmey Archer Patent 'N' Type tricoaster" on the hub
shell. I can see the teeth on the cogs, the threads on the axle. Looks
pretty good for a scan of a 100-year old document, rather than a CAD
drawing.

Are you viewing the gif at full size?

cheers,
clive

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I can almost read "Sturmey Archer Patent 'N' Type tricoaster" on
> the hub shell. I can see the teeth on the cogs, the threads on the
> axle. Looks pretty good for a scan of a 100-year old document,
> rather than a CAD drawing.

I don't think that's a hundred-year-old document. As somebody pointed out,
these look to be scans of hand re-inked versions of the exploded diagrams
published with Sturmey parts lists. Here's an example:

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/photos/pic-248.11.jpg

James Thomson

"James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-12.gif

>> I can almost read "Sturmey Archer Patent 'N' Type tricoaster" on
>> the hub shell. I can see the teeth on the cogs, the threads on the
>> axle. Looks pretty good for a scan of a 100-year old document,
>> rather than a CAD drawing.

> I don't think that's a hundred-year-old document.

Ok, 99 years - it does say 1907 on it, which I would guess is when it was
originally produced. It may have been coped since then, but that only makes
things worse in an unsurprising manner.

> As somebody pointed out,
> these look to be scans of hand re-inked versions of the exploded diagrams
> published with Sturmey parts lists. Here's an example:
>
> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/photos/pic-248.11.jpg

Is rather newer than the one Jobst was talking about. And is quite a nice
picture too.

cheers,
clive

James Thomson writes:

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-158.gif

>> Tell me how sharp and clear this GIF shows up on your screen.
>> These are the exploded views that interested me.

> There are clearer drawings in the reproduction of the 1950s 'Master
> Catalogue' at:

> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/detail.php?id=248

> click each page for an exlargement, e.g.

> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/photos/pic-248.5.jpg

So what is the link that brings up these JPG's from the historic site?
I have no problem with, for instance the one above. That is the kind
of rendition I was looking for with some of the more arcane hubs made.
I don't see the URL listed in that site and why is it obscure? The
URL at the top may have some historical value but it is not what the
picture you point to above is in technical information.

Jobst Brandt

> > I don't think that's a hundred-year-old document.

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ok, 99 years - it does say 1907 on it, which I would guess is when
> it was originally produced. It may have been coped since then, but
> that only makes things worse in an unsurprising manner.

The date of introduction of the hub is 1907, but the diagram is drawn in
the same style as those of many later hubs on the site. The hub shell in
the picture marked 1907 is dated 1908 0r 1909 (hard to tell).

> > http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/photos/pic-248.11.jpg

> Is rather newer than the one Jobst was talking about. And is quite
> a nice picture too.

Right, but many of the exploded views presented on the site - even of more
modern hubs - have evidently been copied and retouched in the same fashion
as the example showing the hub from 1907. Some resemble sketches made from
dismantled hubs at a later date, but as the handwritten annotations show,
these aren't engineering drawings. They probably weren't produced by
Sturmey Archer (who had skilled draftsmen) and are certainly not
comtemporary with the hubs.

I'd guess that someone has either made hurried hand copies of older
material, or in some cases, maybe an enthusiast or collector has dismantled
the hubs in his collection, produced sketches, and annotated his findings.

Compare the K-series from Tony Hadland's site:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/sa/k.pdf

with the same model from the Sturmey Heritage site:

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-25.gif

The former contains material that's obviously been reproduced from
contemporary SA documentation, plus later annotations by Jim Gill. The
quality of the image has suffered by repeated mechanical reproduction. The
latter has obviously been hurriedly redrawn from an original SA document,
and has then suffered degradation by mechanical copying.

James Thomson

<[email protected]> wrote:

> So what is the link that brings up these JPG's from the historic site?

Begin from:

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/history.php

and click on the 'detail' hyperlink next to the section of interest. Some
contain links to pictures of the hubs in question, others to advertising
material, yet others to manuals or sales documents. The above exploded view
came from:

1958 Sections from Master Catalogue - complete book is 135 pages

Though I think there's nothing there that isn't also at:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/samaintind.htm

I haven't had time to explore all of the links yet, but I haven't found
detailed drawings of many of the hubs prior to the 1950s catalogue.

James Thomson

In message <[email protected]>, James
Thomson <[email protected]> writes
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> So what is the link that brings up these JPG's from the historic site?

>Begin from:
>
>http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/history.php
>
>and click on the 'detail' hyperlink next to the section of interest. Some
>contain links to pictures of the hubs in question, others to advertising
>material, yet others to manuals or sales documents. The above exploded view
>came from:
>
>1958 Sections from Master Catalogue - complete book is 135 pages

What I didn't see first time round is the need to use the lower smaller
arrows to the right of where is says page 1/24 if you want leaf through
the rest of the catalogue and find the detailed drawings.

It's true that many of the technical drawings are on the web elsewhere
(many thanks to those responsible) but I am enjoying the other bits and
pieces like the price lists and advertisements. I had not realised how
small the premium was for the more complicated hubs - an FW was only two
bob more than a SW in 1957.

The reason I suggested saving the images out is that if you use an image
editor you can choose the zoom level you need. With Microsoft IE it's
one extreme or the other.

--

Martyn Aldis, e-mail [email protected]

"Martyn Aldis" <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's true that many of the technical drawings are on the web
> elsewhere (many thanks to those responsible) but I am
> enjoying the other bits and pieces like the price lists and
> advertisements. I had not realised how small the premium
> was for the more complicated hubs - an FW was only two
> bob more than a SW in 1957.

That surprised me as well, especially given the prices some of the club
models currently fetch on eBay.

This interesting little booklet ("Cycling" Penny Handbook "Variable Gears")
compares the competition in 1909:

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/detail.php?id=17

including two- and three-speed bottom bracket gears (predecessors of the
modern Schlumpf) and a Pedersen hub.

Many thanks to Alan Clarke for his hard work, and to Mr Brown for posting
the link.

James Thomson

Martyn Aldis wrote:

> The reason I suggested saving the images out is that if you use an
> image editor you can choose the zoom level you need. With Microsoft
> IE it's one extreme or the other.

Obviously it would be rude to turn this into a browser war, but Opera has
the ability to scale images and web page renderings up or down to any
reasonable size.

--
Ambrose